• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thorpe backs Pietersen as ODI captain

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think it could work once he doesn't put too much pressure on himself. As Ponting was asked during the Ashes if he feels the pressure of being captain when he goes out to bat, he said no he just goes out thinking he is #3 batsman that has to score runs, but he did also have a superb team to lead. Blokes like Lara & Tendulkar had very inconsistent sides & given how fanatical their nations are about cricket the results really did affect their batting.

England ODI team has been poor but they do have the players that can make a good ODI team & maybe KP could be the perfect leader, he does have that aggressive nature about him & thats the kind of leader the ODI side needs IMO, since a conservative leader like Collingwood won't help the psyche of the ODI side since a conservative approach is what has got the ODI side struggling for so long.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Do i really have to list them..

_GB_ said:
I'm interested, why do you think Collingwood is a conservative leader?
England's ODI team need a skipper similar to Ponting IMO, a man who can lead from the bat with his aggressive batting approach thus ispiring the rest of the team to follow a similarly. Collingwood is an established ODI player but i don't think he would be the right man to lead the side, its would be KP or a rejuvenated Trescothick.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha, all I know about Chavs is from CW. Never heard of it anywhere else and I have quite a few pom mates as well.
According to a friend of mine who's from the UK but lives here, chavs are what we describe as bogans.

From the descriptions on CW that doesn't seem to be the case to me though.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Chavs are unique to the UK and possibly Western Europe.. Pietersen does not fit the criteria of chav, although he is trying very hard.. Its interesting to see how he's changed since moving there..

I'd love to see England implode further as an ODI side under Pietersen's ego.. Great player, dire person.. To be honest haven't their been reports about him being disliked by people other than me? In the England camp?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't see how he is trying hard to fit the criteria of chav tbh...though as I said earlier my definition seems to differ to yours

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't see how he is trying hard to fit the criteria of chav tbh...though as I said earlier my definition seems to differ to yours
The shaved head, the bling, the british accent.. Okay he's not yer ****in street corner chav, but its a spectrum, and one that he's moved along towards the Chav end for quite a while now.. We have fewer football hooligans in the UK now, but more chavs.. I guess it depends on your definition though..

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
According to a friend of mine who's from the UK but lives here, chavs are what we describe as bogans.

From the descriptions on CW that doesn't seem to be the case to me though.
Similar in some respects, vastly different in others.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To be honest haven't their been reports about him being disliked by people other than me? In the England camp?
Yep. Journos like making-up stuff to talk about, especially when England are being thrashed hollow. Makes it easier to get around the truth of "beaten by the better team".

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

Does this make KP a chav? And if so, would he be England's first chav captain if chosen?

:ph34r:
Not quite, pretty good for a white chav. He would have to throw on a blue yankee fitted, G-Unit/Jordan sneaks, throwbacks and he'll be good to go.