• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ Contracts 2007

Natman20

International Debutant
Shane Bond
Stephen Fleming
James Franklin
Peter Fulton
Mark Gillespie
Gareth Hopkins
Jamie How
Brendon McCullum
Craig McMillan
Hamish Marshall
Chris Martin
Michael Mason
Kyle Mills
Jacob Oram
Michael Papps
Jeetan Patel
Scott Styris
Ross Taylor
Daniel Vettori
Lou Vincent

Am really disappointed not to see Sinclair on the list. He would be a huge asset in tests. I would have chosen him above Jamie How. All in all its a reasonable list. There are better players than some on the list IMO. Gillespie hasn't really impressed all that much and Mason is as inconsistent as ever. Even though MArtin can be a wicket taker in ODIs no-one gives him a chance because of his test match greviences. Hopkins deserves a bit of a go I guess but shouldn't have been on the contract list ahead of Sinclair.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hopkins is a waste of a contract because unless McCullum gets injured, he's not going to get a game in any of the mainstream cricket teams (he might get a go in the Hong Kong Sixes maybe)

Otherwise, its a horses-for-courses selection which has Bracewell's dirty palm prints all over it. Hamish Marshall still in there as a professional fielder, Jamie How, Michael Mason and Mark Gillespie all in there when more exciting options are available. I also feel that McMillan's being awarded for hard work rather than actual results.

Its interesting to see that Lou Vincent's mature whining got him a contract, whilst Jesse Ryder's impression of a spoiled child hasn't. I wonder if this threat to depart NZ will resurface every year. It's been a successful tool for Sinclair and now Vincent, who do we think will try the same move next year? This surely has to spell the end of Sinclair's international career; I won't be surprised to see him 'do a Spearman' and sign up for an English County in the next few weeks.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Was Vincent ever NOT going to get a contract? Considering his performances when he returned to the side in January...

brockley

International Captain
Wonder if sinclair will mobve elsewhere,tassie had interest in him last season but gather its too late for the states as they have nearly filled their quota of contracts.
South africa would be his best bet.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Wonder if sinclair will mobve elsewhere,tassie had interest in him last season but gather its too late for the states as they have nearly filled their quota of contracts.
South africa would be his best bet.
It's a joke Sinclair wasn't picked. What does he have to do? He averages 50ish first class, like he tends to do, gets 2 Tests to prove himself... he doesn't do that well, but no one else does, either.

It's the same story. He's always the scapegoat where more experienced players don't perform.

Craig

World Traveller
No. Broom doesn't deserve a contract, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on a few A Tours and the like.
With all due respect you were rather vague on your statement that it was pathetic (the contracted players listed).

Flem274*

123/5
*sighs*

Marshall, Mason oh dear god.:@

Seriously, if you want an accuracy bowler, Oram is way more accurate than Mason. Doesn't exactly say much for Mason.

Hamish Marshall has no FORM!!!!:ranting:

Sinclair for Marshall, a younger, better prospect for Mason.

Jamie How deserves his contract IMO. He's still developing and has....I dunno.....just this look about him that says he's gonna be good.

Mark Gillespie I'm not sure on.....

Heath you seem to know your domestic cricket, give us some names of guys that you reckon can bowl pretty good. Oh anyone else can answer my question too.:laugh:

I remember that bloke Harvie from the domestic finals, he seems OK. Same with Nathan McCullum. James McMillan has SBS (Shane Bond Syndrome)

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've always rated Scott from Otago pretty highly, but I must admit I haven't seen that much of him.

Plus Iain O'Brien, who despite his horrendous performance in his first chance in Tests, is so good in domestic cricket he must have something to offer the Black Caps. Maybe if he gets another chance he'll handle it better.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heath you seem to know your domestic cricket, give us some names of guys that you reckon can bowl pretty good. Oh anyone else can answer my question too.:laugh:
I've always rated Scott from Otago pretty highly, but I must admit I haven't seen that much of him.
Yeah - Scott's a decent prospect and he adds a little with the bat as well; could possibly be a number 8 or 9. To be honest, I haven't seen much in Domestic Cricket in terms of young quicks who are saying 'pick me'. Richard Sherlock looked good when I last saw him play in 2005, but he spent most of the year injured so I'd imagine he's gone backwards. I think he's only 22/23, but may need to remodel his action as the number of injuries he's sustained to date is pretty rank. Other than him, Tim Southee looks a decent young'un. I haven't seen too much of him, but he can certainly move the ball in the great Kiwi tradition, and is another who can bat a little too. Corey Anderson at Canterbury I hear good things about, but must confess that I haven't seen him in action yet.

Apart from them, you're looking at your Aldridges and Arnels really. O'Brien has been performing admirably in FC cricket for a while now, but like Aldridge, I doubt he's in the selectors thoughts too much.

Robbie Schaw at Centrals looks a decent spinning prospect, but early days yet.