• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Side Of July 2007-Oct 2008

Which will be the best test side in 2008? and why?

• Total voters

gunner

U19 Cricketer
This period will determine the best sides in the world and where they stand.
The icc rankings may say aussies at the top and india down on 5-6 or south africa down at 5 but they dont tell the full story and this period will see some big series and tours.

I think the top 3 spot in tests will be fought by australia, pakistan and england with pakistans pace attack being crucial to their challenge.

I think pakistan will edge out the other 2 and be the best side in this period.(well least till their bowlers get injured anyway)

Some will say i only chose pakistan cos i am biased but i truly think with all the changes being made like captaincy, new talent and everything and every effort being made by our academy to help the fast bowlers pakistan can really step it up now and surely will.
much also depends on shoaib but he has recently been saying how he wants to get fit and everything and i think this time he is here to stay

Last edited:

jammay123

State 12th Man
if england get their bowling right and firing fully again ill put my money on them but the aussies will come back stronger they always do.....

cover drive man

International Captain
Australia have dominated the game for years and I dont see that changing any time soon. The ashes in England will tell a lot though. In my opinion England (Once they get a few players back) Will be a dominant tes side with a batting attack of Pieterson in the middle order with Flintoff while Trescothick and Strauss opening (thats if there in form) and Vaughn or Cook at three (not sure who, at his best Vaughn should be but Cook is a lot more consitent. And a bowling attack of four speed and one spinner. But it might (and probably will) Not be enough to beat Australia. But personally the list will look like this.

1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. New zealand
4. England
5. Sri Lanka
6. West Indies
7. India
8. Pakistan
9. Bangladesh.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which explains why they've just about never in Test history been out of the top 2 sides, other than when Rebel-tours intervened.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
i dont think they will fill the hole left by mcgrath,warne,langer and martyn this quick in the test team by next eyar though.
will take them some time

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Richard, the West Indies look set for greatness.

However, if only they could get two middle order batsman to help out Sylvester Joseph, his practically carrying their batting at the moment but no worries about the bowling, the performances speak for themselves.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Australia have dominated the game for years and I dont see that changing any time soon. The ashes in England will tell a lot though. In my opinion England (Once they get a few players back) Will be a dominant tes side with a batting attack of Pieterson in the middle order with Flintoff while Trescothick and Strauss opening (thats if there in form) and Vaughn or Cook at three (not sure who, at his best Vaughn should be but Cook is a lot more consitent. And a bowling attack of four speed and one spinner. But it might (and probably will) Not be enough to beat Australia. But personally the list will look like this.

1. Australia
2. South Africa
3. New zealand
4. England
5. Sri Lanka
6. West Indies
7. India
8. Pakistan
9. Bangladesh.
New Zealand have three test series against South Africa (away), England at home and then away - I can not see them doing much in any of those series and its simply illogical to have India and Pakistan behind the West Indies.

Biggest test for England in the next twelve months is Sri Lanka away and for South Africa the away series to both India and England, huge tours.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't see anyone other than Australia dominating Test cricket over the course of the next year.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... I think they're the most likely... but remember the last time they played India sans-McGrath (and Warne too, but Warne's always had limited success against India in any case)?

Of course, in the possession of Stuart Clark (and hopefully Jason Gillespie) their attack is still (presumably going to be) very far from shoddy and of course massively superior to the one they had in 2003\04, inclusive of Lee, Williams and a novice Bracken who should never have been picked at that time.

But IF India can bat well in that series, especially against the bowlers other than Clark, it'll send out a massive confidence-boost to everyone else. And I honestly can't remember who their next series after India is against. :confused:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I imagine Australia will go in with Clark-Lee-Tait-Watson-MacGill for the test series against India. Unfortunately I don't see a way back for Gillespie now as Tait and Johnson and possibly even Hilfenhaus are ahead of him.:down:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well... I think they're the most likely... but remember the last time they played India sans-McGrath (and Warne too, but Warne's always had limited success against India in any case)?

Of course, in the possession of Stuart Clark (and hopefully Jason Gillespie) their attack is still (presumably going to be) very far from shoddy and of course massively superior to the one they had in 2003\04, inclusive of Lee, Williams and a novice Bracken who should never have been picked at that time.

But IF India can bat well in that series, especially against the bowlers other than Clark, it'll send out a massive confidence-boost to everyone else. And I honestly can't remember who their next series after India is against. :confused:
Well the bowling would still be superior to that of 2003/04, as you said...but Indian batting will be a LOT worse than it was then and Australian batting will be better than it was then.

So yea, I doubt we have much of a shot :).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never know... Dravid's as good as ever, Sehwag might get a few quick 40s like he did then, Tendulkar and Laxman have looked better recently than they have for ages and hopefully can continue that over here in a few months' time. Ganguly isn't, I don't think, much different either.

Still... lightning striking twice is rare, and I'd guess almost everyone would be giving India a better chance this than last time (at least, before it became clear McGrath would miss the series) in any case.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Never know... Dravid's as good as ever, Sehwag might get a few quick 40s like he did then, Tendulkar and Laxman have looked better recently than they have for ages and hopefully can continue that over here in a few months' time. Ganguly isn't, I don't think, much different either.

Still... lightning striking twice is rare, and I'd guess almost everyone would be giving India a better chance this than last time (at least, before it became clear McGrath would miss the series) in any case.
Dravid is good...Sehwag can't score a 40 even if you promised him a cheesecake at the end, Tendulkar and Laxman are finished and Ganguly has always been OK in the Test arena.

Plus, Australian bowling is way better. We'll see...but I see a 3-0 loss. With one lucky draw...maybe.