• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Side Of July 2007-Oct 2008

Which will be the best test side in 2008? and why?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They're unlikely to field many if any sides this year, TBH - and if they do I think we can fairly safely count them out.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You can tell when a team is great whenever there is an open bus parade when they are beaten in one series :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You can tell when a team is great whenever there is an open bus parade when they are beaten in one series :)
Indeed, very much so. What pisses me off is that people try to be oh-so-clever in hindsight and decry that joy which we all felt so much in 2005, by saying we partied too hard, reflected too much, blah-blah-ils.

So that victory, and that sensational series, wasn't worth celebrating, was it? Bull****. That victory was a phenominal achievement by England, one which they deserved to celebrate every bit as much as they did. The MBEs were a bit OTT, especially in the cases of Collingwood (though I'd say he earned his in the CBS closing stages in 2006\07), Bell and Jones, but that was nothing to do with the cricket fraturnity, just a publicity stunt, a means of showing how cool Mr Blair was (I admire him in many ways, but his use of sporting honours I recognise for what it is I is afraid). And in hindsight it's probably done everyone concerned more harm than good, given that people who don't have a clue have wrapped that into the "they reflected too much" bandwagon.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, which has happened since makes that triumph in 2005 less celebratory-worthy. It was worth an open-top bus-ride and everything else (except perhaps some of the MBEs - Fletcher, Flintoff and so on certainly deserved them) and the success of Australia since perhaps just goes to show how what an achievement that truly was.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
So that victory, and that sensational series, wasn't worth celebrating, was it? Bull****. That victory was a phenominal achievement by England, one which they deserved to celebrate every bit as much as they did. The MBEs were a bit OTT, especially in the cases of Collingwood (though I'd say he earned his in the CBS closing stages in 2006\07), Bell and Jones, but that was nothing to do with the cricket fraturnity, just a publicity stunt, a means of showing how cool Mr Blair was (I admire him in many ways, but his use of sporting honours I recognise for what it is I is afraid). And in hindsight it's probably done everyone concerned more harm than good, given that people who don't have a clue have wrapped that into the "they reflected too much" bandwagon.
Woah, easy mate. I was just saying how much of an achievement it is to beat Australia and that celebratory measures can be taken if they are beaten considering the event is so rare.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, sorry chap, that wasn't in your direction. :) Just in general at the wise-guys from both countries who, as I say, tried to be clever and blame that for Australia being the better side in 2006\07.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Definately. England lost because of injuries and a massive improvement in the Australian performance as well as the change of venue from England to Australia.