• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Andrew Flintoff's long term future?

Mermaidman

Cricket Spectator
I do not know if this thread has been started yet. But after hearing that Freddie needs a 3rd ankle opetation I have serious reservations about his long term health, I think a few years of perfoming at a good standard has taken its toll , What say you?

cover drive man

International Captain
I do not know if this thread has been started yet. But after hearing that Freddie needs a 3rd ankle opetation I have serious reservations about his long term health, I think a few years of perfoming at a good standard has taken its toll , What say you?
There's nothing seriously bad about Freddies long term health.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've been very seriously wondering that for the last few weeks.

It's been the best part of a year since he said he'd basically accepted that ankle trouble was going to be a part of life from now on.

I'd say you could make a case for him having been less than ideal in terms of fitness throughout the winter, even allowing for the fact that cricket is rarely a game where you can be in perfect shape all the time.

I'm definately worried about his medium-term future, very much so.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry CDM but Id have to disagree with you there.

The way left his foot points to fine leg in delivery means that he will injure his ankle and any injuries will be repeated and will never truly heal.

There is more details as to why here http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1031702&postcount=89

Andrew Flintoff

For a longtime I have been bothered by Flintoff's action. He is a big strong boy and delivers the ball with a great deal of force.

The issue Ive had for quite a while is where his front foot points. In delivery, his front foot plants towards fine leg.

This causes a great deal of jarring and stress as it is pointing away from the direction the rest of his body is going in.

It is no surprise, to someone like myself, that he is suffering from long term left ankle problems.

The stresses on his ankle must be immense. The foot is planted and the rest of the body must come over and around that ankle.

A recipe of injury.

I would have made these observations a long time ago but there would have been many saying "Noone can criticise Freddie". The time is probably right for people to have an open mind and reflect clearly on matters.

Edit- Best example I can find online showing his left foot pointing away from the direction of the rest of his body

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sorry CDM but Id have to disagree with you there.

The way left his foot points to fine leg in delivery means that he will injure his ankle and any injuries will be repeated and will never truly heal.

There is more details as to why here http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1031702&postcount=89
I've thought something along those lines more than once. Not unusually, you've explained it better than I could.

EDIT: haha, that thread was interesting!

Last edited:

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I agree. One has to worry about Flintoff's long term future, especially as (like Giles' hip and S Jones' knee) it seems to be the same body part all the time. If he has to change his action to ease the strain on his ankle, can he? If so will it mean him bowling at a reduced pace? Or will he be unable to bowl at all - in which case its surely international career over as IMO he is not good enough to get into the team purely on his batting.

Mermaidman

Cricket Spectator
I agree. One has to worry about Flintoff's long term future, especially as (like Giles' hip and S Jones' knee) it seems to be the same body part all the time. If he has to change his action to ease the strain on his ankle, can he? If so will it mean him bowling at a reduced pace? Or will he be unable to bowl at all - in which case its surely international career over as IMO he is not good enough to get into the team purely on his batting.
I cuncur his batting recently has been non-existant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I wonder why he bowls like that surely it must hurt him.
Simple. There were times when it didn't hurt, and when you're blissfully unaware of the trouble an action is going to cause you in future, and it works for you, you've no reason to change. And once you've been doing something for a long time, it gets more and more difficult to alter it.

Whether Flintoff can and will change (whether anyone's spotted that it might just help to do so...) and remain a good bowler is a question we'd probably only know by trying.

Trouble is, if we tried and failed, it might well never be possible to get the old Flintoff back. Mind you, if that old Flintoff was just someone who'd play a few games then miss a few with injury, it's probably a worthwhile risk to take.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Simple. There were times when it didn't hurt, and when you're blissfully unaware of the trouble an action is going to cause you in future, and it works for you, you've no reason to change. And once you've been doing something for a long time, it gets more and more difficult to alter it.
Completely agree. No doubt Flintoffs foot placement is the cause of these injuries but it would be very tough to change now (though not impossible). The biggest challenge would be lack confidence in any new action to be as successful as the old as your action is very much a part of who you are as a cricketer. Especially the front foot as you get so used to the balance and body position it gives you and any change feels incredibley awkward. Something like this is just as easy to spot as Harmisons front arm problem but far harder to fully correct.