Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket Culture in Various Nations

Cricket Culture in Various Nations

Having resumed league cricket this weekend after an extended uni-induced break, I had a chance to catch up with a couple of new club members. One of them is an all-rounder here from Sydney for 8 months. Getting to the point, we had a great chat about cricket in Australia: the brilliant domestic infrastructure, the difference in attitude (apparently, Aussie club cricketers have a good laugh and really enjoy themselves out there even when they lose, unlike subcontinental cricketers), the greater appreciation of test cricket in general and fan behavior at matches (he prefers watching local matches on his couch since he gets bored of the "drunk" scene), etc.

This made me curious. How does the scene at a cricket match differ from England to WI to Pakistan to Australia to etc? How do players approach the game? How do fans approach the game? Even the smaller cricketing nations (Ban, Zim, Ken) would be great to learn about.

Please try not to state the obvious.
    Last edited by adharcric; 29-05-2007 at 09:43 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Club cricket in Britain is awesome.

Sorry if I stated the obvious.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Nah, seriously, I genuinely do greatly enjoy it. If Aussies have a "it's not the winning that counts, it's the taking part" attitude, the British certainly do. And TBH, I think that's quite right. It's always been the way cricket is - having a quiet sup with your adversaries in the bar afterwards is, in some ways, every bit as important as standing under the boiling sun for 8 hours doing often sod-all.

Doesn't mean I don't like to get the best figures I can, of course. And, if the game's a competetive one with points at stake, I rather like to win it too.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Nah, seriously, I genuinely do greatly enjoy it. If Aussies have a "it's not the winning that counts, it's the taking part" attitude, the British certainly do. And TBH, I think that's quite right. It's always been the way cricket is - having a quiet sup with your adversaries in the bar afterwards is, in some ways, every bit as important as standing under the boiling sun for 8 hours doing often sod-all.

Doesn't mean I don't like to get the best figures I can, of course. And, if the game's a competetive one with points at stake, I rather like to win it too.
    what level do you play at Richard?
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

Well I haven't played genuine competetive cricket for 3 seasons now (mostly only get the chance to play Wednesday friendlies at the merment), but when I do it's Sunday XI. I've played in all of Third, Second and First Division. It's only Devon, though, and Devon is generally very poor in standard compared to, say, Kent or Yorkshire.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    what level do you play at Richard?
    There's no way this kid has played the game at any level higher than that of attempting to bowl out earthworms at the botom of his garden.

Bank on it.

Pinball Champion!
    Hahaha

Nothing beats English village cricket, and a pint at the local afterwards.. I don't care for Malcolm Speed, drug takers, match fixers and the world cup when you can have a beer and a chat with a bunch of guys who play with you and against you because they love it.. And then do the same thing next weekend.. I miss it so much tbh.. The friendships you build if you stick around a decent English league don't leave you, no matter where you end up..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Well I haven't played genuine competetive cricket for 3 seasons now (mostly only get the chance to play Wednesday friendlies at the merment), but when I do it's Sunday XI. I've played in all of Third, Second and First Division. It's only Devon, though, and Devon is generally very poor in standard compared to, say, Kent or Yorkshire.
    Yeah the standard of Kent league cricket is very good also the facilities most clubs have are ace. When I use to play we had quite a few of Kent's now first class cricketers around or in the opposition and on top of those boys some very decent overseas players.

Was meant to play some cricket in Seaton a few years back (when I left Secondary School) but I ended up spending my summer in South Africa. According to a friend of mine the standard was appalling but I could have done with the free runs tbh.

Pinball Champion!
    The standard over here is pretty good.. We have such a good standard of spin bowling, it baffles as to why we don't ever produce anything at national level.. Clubs are built around the traditional playing schools and their old boy foundations, and often cricketers give up when they reach thirty years old.. The facilities and pitches are generally good in my experience, but the distance and the time spent on the road just makes me prefer English village cricket.. Like everything else here though. it's unfortunatly very race based, with Afrikaans cricket clubs, English, Black, Coloured and whatnot

Quote Originally Posted by PathanPower View Post
    There's no way this kid has played the game at any level higher than that of attempting to bowl out earthworms at the botom of his garden.

Bank on it.
    Better file for ruptcy, then, TBH.

Banned
    Better file for ruptcy, then, TBH.
    Well IF you did, and it's a big if....you certainly didn't succeed at said level.

Yes, and you'd know that from wherever your true location is.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Richard, did you play against a bloke named Simon Mahony a few years back? He's an opening bowler who plays for my club here and winteres in the Devon league about 4 or so years ago.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

The name actually rings a bell, but not sure whether that's with good reason or not.

The only Aussies I know for certain are WAns who've played as our overseas-players - Hugh Brown and Chris Rogers himself.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Like to see Simon bowl to Rogers - they'd run out of cherries after about 2 overs!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information