• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Culture in Various Nations

simmy

International Regular
Well I haven't played genuine competetive cricket for 3 seasons now (mostly only get the chance to play Wednesday friendlies at the merment), but when I do it's Sunday XI. I've played in all of Third, Second and First Division. It's only Devon, though, and Devon is generally very poor in standard compared to, say, Kent or Yorkshire.
I have played Kent First Division and it is TOUGH. Not as hard as the Loughborough nets though :P

Club cricket in England is incredible. The attitude towards the game is fantastic. Especially when I played village cricket as a kid.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
apparently, Aussie club cricketers have a good laugh and really enjoy themselves out there even when they lose, unlike subcontinental cricketers
Unfortunatly we dont see that trend at International level, put aussie team in a losing condition and majority of time you see them at their worst, probably because they hate losing more than others. In case of subcontinent, I think it's just opposite.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I have never played club cricket so I really don't know anything about the club cricket culture in Karachi, though I can confirm the muhallah (street) cricket culture is immense overhear.

Its wonderful to drive across Karachi on friday and saturday nights it seems the whole city is lighted up and there is a night match going on in every neioughbourhood, these matches are all very competitive and they go up to early morning. Standards vary from area to area, usually games in the old part of the city (most of the first class and test cricketers come from these areas) are of a higher standard then the newish parts where I and most of the up-town pretty boys reside :P.

One of my earliest memory of a muhallah night match was when I was six or seven and I remember watching one of my elder cousin getting tonked by Saeed Anwar (who was a young test cricketer by then) 5 times consecutively in a mosque which was located across the road. What wonderful memories:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Unfortunatly we dont see that trend at International level, put aussie team in a losing condition and majority of time you see them at their worst, probably because they hate losing more than others. In case of subcontinent, I think it's just opposite.
I imagine that's more to do with the pressure they put on themselves and the high goals they aim for than anything else.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Northern Irish Club cricket is pretty competitive, if somewhat below most of the standards of other major nations. This is an article on the much needed development of the NW region of northern irish cricket. The levels that i play at can be good and can be awful at times, just depends on where we play i suppose.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This would be my run down of the leagues in the last 3 countries I have played in. All leagues are the top of the respective league structures.

England
Very professional in terms of on-field mentality. There is money for most players and competition for spaces or recognition (ie more money or more than the guy you think you are better than :) ) is moderately intense.

Many guys that could have turned pro or had offers are in these leagues as they could earn more in their normal job and never accepted the offered county contract. Guys play into their late 30s and these players are supplemented by the young up-and-commers and this makes teams a real unit for a number of seasons.

When guys play club cricket they do so at a high level for a long time and that is how they value their contribution to cricket and they play hard.

USA
In the top division where I played each team would have 4-5 possibly 6 good players (the lower down you go the number soon gets close to zero). These 5-6 players would fit into any league in the world but the drop off in talent outside these core players is massive and there isnt the depth to come close to comparing with top leagues from major nations.

The US also has horrible facilities and by far the worst behaved and least knowledgable players Ive experienced. It makes it a tough place to enjoy playing as half the opposition may not know the rules. However people try and they still enjoy it and give their weekends up for it. I quietly think that if many of them had played top club cricket in eg UK, Aus they would give it up as a bad job. There is a distinct speration in the views and opinions (and ability) of the older immigrant player that has played good cricket in India etc and the younger tape ball cricketer moving into hard ball. However, they keep going and the standard is higher than some may think and it has its own distinct vibe.

South Africa
Dominated by young cricketers. Very few play into their mid 20s. In terms of talent it is probably higher than the UK as there are less clubs and the Provincial/County players are spread less thin. Its not unknown for a team to play 6-7 fc cricketers in a game. However, the players are all pretty young and it lacks a professional toughness and experience that is in the UK game. However, its fair to point out that the last club I played for all of the first team guys (apart from me) went to the UK as overseas pros.

The chirping/sledging is comical as its from young guys that dont really have the know-how to do it effectively. Its a bit of a joke and has nothing of the impact of a grissled (sp?) veteran in the UK.

However, in terms of fitness regimes and preparation SA is light years ahead of the UK. Guys work damn hard and there is so much fitness work done compared to elsewhere I have played. Its probably partly due to the top leagues being dominated by young players on the verge of making it. Whatever the reason its impressive.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, their attitude in the 05 Ashes was just deplorable........

Burgey

This really is a massively open-ended statement. There are a few aspects to the attitude that most take out.

First of all, you're out there to win. You don't want to waste the Tues/Thurs training, the pre-season, getting to the ground early, etc. on getting battered. You're prepared to do little niggly things that just might give your side an extra 1% advantage; like chatter, using bounce throws all day to soften the ball up, etc.

But with that, as soon as you leave the field, it's part and parcel of playing competitive sports that you engage with the opposition after the match, talk about the game and often you'll know a few blokes from the other team and have a chat about other stuff too. The guy who might have been in your ear all game giving you a bake is having a beer with you after the game. I think in the eyes of most, that's how it should be.

Another aspect to is that I think there is still a lot of reverance for the little aspects of cricket ettiquette; such as waiting for the umpires and fielding side to take the field before the batsmen do, not running if the ball has hit the batsman, etc.

But mainly, especially with cricket, you've got to go out there to have fun. You're spending 6 hours out of your weekend playing the bloody thing, you may as well enjoy it! Especially when you're in the field for 100 overs; often it's the banter that keeps you alive. I know most of the stuff I say in the field is usually just in-jokes with other guys in the team, making fun of each other. But at the same time, as soon as the bowler comes in, it's game on, and for the next 10 seconds after that, you might slip in a few jibes here and there.

I think there's a real "on/off" culture about cricket here. When it's game on, it's really game on. But doing that for so long isn't enjoyable by nature; you can't do it all day, nor can you do it when the game is over, so in a way you switch gears throughout play, training or anything cricket.
Top post. Just about sums things up I think.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This really is a massively open-ended statement. There are a few aspects to the attitude that most take out.

First of all, you're out there to win. You don't want to waste the Tues/Thurs training, the pre-season, getting to the ground early, etc. on getting battered. You're prepared to do little niggly things that just might give your side an extra 1% advantage; like chatter, using bounce throws all day to soften the ball up, etc.

But with that, as soon as you leave the field, it's part and parcel of playing competitive sports that you engage with the opposition after the match, talk about the game and often you'll know a few blokes from the other team and have a chat about other stuff too. The guy who might have been in your ear all game giving you a bake is having a beer with you after the game. I think in the eyes of most, that's how it should be.

Another aspect to is that I think there is still a lot of reverance for the little aspects of cricket ettiquette; such as waiting for the umpires and fielding side to take the field before the batsmen do, not running if the ball has hit the batsman, etc.

But mainly, especially with cricket, you've got to go out there to have fun. You're spending 6 hours out of your weekend playing the bloody thing, you may as well enjoy it! Especially when you're in the field for 100 overs; often it's the banter that keeps you alive. I know most of the stuff I say in the field is usually just in-jokes with other guys in the team, making fun of each other. But at the same time, as soon as the bowler comes in, it's game on, and for the next 10 seconds after that, you might slip in a few jibes here and there.

I think there's a real "on/off" culture about cricket here. When it's game on, it's really game on. But doing that for so long isn't enjoyable by nature; you can't do it all day, nor can you do it when the game is over, so in a way you switch gears throughout play, training or anything cricket.
Agree wholeheartedly. I am one of the fiercest competitors on the rugby field but once the game is over, it's just poor form if you don't have a bit of a chat with the opposition and the ref. It's all about getting the balance right, and knowing when to "switch on".

Burgey

Agree wholeheartedly. I am one of the fiercest competitors on the rugby field but once the game is over, it's just poor form if you don't have a bit of a chat with the opposition and the ref. It's all about getting the balance right, and knowing when to "switch on".
I wonder how much of this is an Australian thing which may not be well received or understood by people elsewhere. It may seem anathema to some people's culture that you could sledge/ intimidate, etc. your opponent, yet turn around and have a beer or a joke with them after the game.

Certainly, people look at the way Aussie teams (not just cricket) behave and wonder how they can then be friendly off the field afterwards.

If you look at the recent Ashes series, you had all sorts of things being said onthe field, yet after the last Test about 7 or 8 of the English guys went into the Aussie dressingroom for a beer, inlcuding Collingwood and Bell who had been sledged by warne, McGrath et al. I wonder if familiarity has bred understanding on the part of the English there, or if they share a similar sportng culture.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder how much of this is an Australian thing which may not be well received or understood by people elsewhere. It may seem anathema to some people's culture that you could sledge/ intimidate, etc. your opponent, yet turn around and have a beer or a joke with them after the game..
Its not a mainly Aussie thing. Its something we were brought up with in the UK and take fierce pride in the fact that after trying to kill each other as soon as you cross the white line and the game is over you have a beer and a chat with each other.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I wonder how much of this is an Australian thing which may not be well received or understood by people elsewhere. It may seem anathema to some people's culture that you could sledge/ intimidate, etc. your opponent, yet turn around and have a beer or a joke with them after the game.
I just don't understand it.. I know Aussie and SA's cricketing cultures are fairly similar but I really hate that mentality..

If someone bowls some viscious bouncers, roughs me up, or takes my bowling apart, then great, I'd love to have a chat about it over a beer after the match.. Thats what makes the game so great.. However, if someone tells me I'm not good enough to be playing against them, calls me a ***, my mum a ****, and generally says things that would get them a smack in the face in the street, then why should I sit next to them with a beer? I'd rather they stayed out of my way tbh...

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I just don't understand it.. I know Aussie and SA's cricketing cultures are fairly similar but I really hate that mentality..

If someone bowls some viscious bouncers, roughs me up, or takes my bowling apart, then great, I'd love to have a chat about it over a beer after the match.. Thats what makes the game so great.. However, if someone tells me I'm not good enough to be playing against them, calls me a ***, my mum a ****, and generally says things that would get them a smack in the face in the street, then why should I sit next to them with a beer? I'd rather they stayed out of my way tbh...
Agreed. I hate any sledging tbh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Agree 100%. Not sure how many ****s say that sort of crap, I've never encountered it in any way, shape or form - mercifully. The only chat I'm happy about on the field is "bit of an open face here, lads, let's work on this" or something along those lines.

Isura

U19 Captain
I play in Canada. I joined a new club this year, and it is better than the last club I played for. They have a decent club structure with an under 15 and 19 junior teams, as well as 2 senior teams. It is run by Indian/Pakistani's, and it is a little tough to fit in since they always speak in Hindi, Punjabi, or Urdu. But I think the standard here is better than most clubs in Ontario, especially with respect to fielding standards. Club cricket here is run by the immigrants from the subcontinent and the West Indies. Playing conditions are terrible (I've never played on a real pitch), and outfield grass is very thick. I agree with Goughy that sportsmanship and cricket etiquette isn't very good. Lots of stories of near fights and general unsportsmanship, especially in Toronto leagues. I've envious of you guys that get to play in England and Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nope. There was a trial with 2-day games in the Kent League (which I mentioned earlier is one of the best) but it didn't last.

A bit of a shame, but you can't force these sorts of things.

Most of the top stuff is a bit more than straightforward limited-overs, though. There are all sorts of formulae, though, as Kev (Goughy) mentioned above.

Isura

U19 Captain
Nope. There was a trial with 2-day games in the Kent League (which I mentioned earlier is one of the best) but it didn't last.

A bit of a shame, but you can't force these sorts of things.

Most of the top stuff is a bit more than straightforward limited-overs, though. There are all sorts of formulae, though, as Kev (Goughy) mentioned above.
Ok. I was reading Bradman's book and he talks about matches that took 4-5 weekends to finish. I guess that is not normal practice anymore. How about school matches? I remember as a kid going to watch 3-day high school matches in Colombo.

Isura

U19 Captain
I have never played club cricket so I really don't know anything about the club cricket culture in Karachi, though I can confirm the muhallah (street) cricket culture is immense overhear.

Its wonderful to drive across Karachi on friday and saturday nights it seems the whole city is lighted up and there is a night match going on in every neioughbourhood, these matches are all very competitive and they go up to early morning. Standards vary from area to area, usually games in the old part of the city (most of the first class and test cricketers come from these areas) are of a higher standard then the newish parts where I and most of the up-town pretty boys reside :P.

One of my earliest memory of a muhallah night match was when I was six or seven and I remember watching one of my elder cousin getting tonked by Saeed Anwar (who was a young test cricketer by then) 5 times consecutively in a mosque which was located across the road. What wonderful memories:)
This sounds incredibly cool. Reminds me of visiting New York City and seeing every basketball court packed on a Saturday afternoon.