Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 93

Thread: Ireland and scotland to be kicked out by ecb

  1. #1
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    4,628

    Ireland and scotland to be kicked out by ecb

    ECB slam 'offshore' games
    By Simon Briggs
    Last Updated: 3:48am BST 29/05/2007


    Have your say Read comments

    Sunday's round of Friends Provident games brought a famous victory for Scotland over a Lancashire team containing six full internationals.

    "The Who's Who of cricket turned up today to play against us," said their delighted captain, Ryan Watson. Yet the odds are that Scotland will play no part in the tournament next summer, because of a row over broadcasting money.

    Like Ireland, their friends and rivals, the Scots have offended the suits at Lord's by volunteering to stage so-called "offshore internationals". These are games that sneak outside the existing broadcasting agreements, and so put the wind up the accountants. The England and Wales Cricket Board are threatening to expel both countries from the 50-overs competition if they go ahead.

    advertisement
    Ireland have arranged to host India and South Africa for a series of one-day games in late June. The Scots will be staging just one international: India v Pakistan in Glasgow on July 12. This match has been organised with the help of the Prince's Trust, and purports to celebrate the 60th anniversary of independence for both countries. The charity stands to make 2.5 million from the event, but Zee TV, the exclusive rights-holders, are likely to do even better.

    "There is a serious concern that offshore matches could dilute moneys coming into the game in the long term," said David Collier, the ECB's chief executive. The heart of the matter is that ESPN Star have paid the ECB handsomely for the right to broadcast all their international cricket into the Asian market. This was supposed to be a monopoly deal. So if Zee TV start running their own programming from the rest of the British Isles, the value of the next TV deal is likely to fall.

  2. #2
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    ECB are just being selfish and should read what Andrew Nixon is saying there.
    Last edited by LA ICE-E; 02-06-2007 at 02:43 AM.

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Wouldn't it just be so much easier if everyone recognised that the British Isles was better united than it was divided where cricket is concerned?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  4. #4
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Wouldn't it just be so much easier if everyone recognised that the British Isles was better united than it was divided where cricket is concerned?
    Any good reasons why that should be so?


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Because it always has been. Simple as. Only now, with "the expansion menace" as Matthew Engel astutely described it, is there attempt to make Ireland and Scotland separate countries.

  6. #6
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    yeah I went over this with you like 100 timesere, as of right now, not the past, not the future, right now which is where you're living in, ECB represent England and Wales. Get that? It doesn't represent the british isles. So stop living in the past and move on, stop whining about it. And again don't start with the expansion crap, it has nothing do with it otherwise wales would be separate and so would the windies.
    Last edited by LA ICE-E; 02-06-2007 at 08:53 AM.

  7. #7
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Because it always has been. Simple as. Only now, with "the expansion menace" as Matthew Engel astutely described it, is there attempt to make Ireland and Scotland separate countries.
    'Because it always has been' is not a good reason. Can you show that, for example, Irish cricketers actually want to play as part of an England team over the option of playing as part of an Ireland team?

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
    'Because it always has been' is not a good reason. Can you show that, for example, Irish cricketers actually want to play as part of an England team over the option of playing as part of an Ireland team?
    Yorkshire cricketers would have been delighted to play against Australia in the 1930s as Yorkshire, too.

    The fact that Irish cricketers have and do play in and for England suggests they're not remotely unhappy about doing so. Therefore, I see no reason to change 100 years of history and have Scotland and Ireland as separate teams.

    There is no reason why The British Isles cannot play as one.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    yeah I went over this with you like 100 timesere, as of right now, not the past, not the future, right now which is where you're living in, ECB represent England and Wales. Get that? It doesn't represent the british isles. So stop living in the past and move on, stop whining about it. And again don't start with the expansion crap, it has nothing do with it otherwise wales would be separate and so would the windies.
    What it does reprisent is not important - what is relevant is what there should be a cricket organisation reprisenting - and this is what was reprisented for the best part of 100 years (1903 to 1997). Not England and Wales, but The British Isles. Because the British Isles have always played as one (and are overwhelmingly likely to continue to do so despite the attempts to separate them) and no amount of we-need-expansion-so-let's-try-to-split-up-cricket-playing-teams should change that.

  10. #10
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wishing Phil Hughes all the best
    Posts
    45,336
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa View Post
    'Because it always has been' is not a good reason. Can you show that, for example, Irish cricketers actually want to play as part of an England team over the option of playing as part of an Ireland team?
    Well on some level they must do, becuase Joyce has appeared for us & O'Brien (the wicket-keeping one, Niall?) said he'd be keen once his finished his residency. It's really the carrot of test cricket that causes them to switch allegiance tho.

    Totally agree with you point about "because it always has been" tho. I mean before India was accorded test status Ranji, Duleep & the Nawab of Pataudi snr all played for us. As India, in cricketing terms, was clearly a part of England can we have Dravid & Kumble back, please?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Totally agree with you point about "because it always has been" tho. I mean before India was accorded test status Ranji, Duleep & the Nawab of Pataudi snr all played for us. As India, in cricketing terms, was clearly a part of England can we have Dravid & Kumble back, please?
    Completely different, and you know it. Totally separate geographical areas. There was no reason for India to remain part of The British Empire. There is every reason for The British Isles to play cricket together.

  12. #12
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yorkshire cricketers would have been delighted to play against Australia in the 1930s as Yorkshire, too.

    The fact that Irish cricketers have and do play in and for England suggests they're not remotely unhappy about doing so. Therefore, I see no reason to change 100 years of history and have Scotland and Ireland as separate teams.

    There is no reason why The British Isles cannot play as one.
    here's the thing you just don't get, IRELAND IS A SEPERATE NATION, Yorkshire isn't. The fact that Irish cricket play for England doesn't show anything because the reason they play for England is to play test cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What it does reprisent is not important - what is relevant is what there should be a cricket organisation reprisenting - and this is what was reprisented for the best part of 100 years (1903 to 1997). Not England and Wales, but The British Isles. Because the British Isles have always played as one (and are overwhelmingly likely to continue to do so despite the attempts to separate them) and no amount of we-need-expansion-so-let's-try-to-split-up-cricket-playing-teams should change that.
    What the **** is wrong with you seriously? ****! how many time do I ****ing have to explain this **** to you? Ireland and Scotland are separate nations, they choose to separate themselves not some expansion ****, you say that they should break 100 years of history then if expansion was the case for the splits then why the hell is Wales still England? Why the hell is Windies together still? So it's not relevant what the fact is but it is relevant what fiction is, what you want huh? this is really pissing me off...
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Well on some level they must do, becuase Joyce has appeared for us & O'Brien (the wicket-keeping one, Niall?) said he'd be keen once his finished his residency. It's really the carrot of test cricket that causes them to switch allegiance tho.

    Totally agree with you point about "because it always has been" tho. I mean before India was accorded test status Ranji, Duleep & the Nawab of Pataudi snr all played for us. As India, in cricketing terms, was clearly a part of England can we have Dravid & Kumble back, please?
    give Ireland test status and see if any of them would play for England...

  13. #13
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Completely different, and you know it. Totally separate geographical areas. There was no reason for India to remain part of The British Empire. There is every reason for The British Isles to play cricket together.
    really pakistan played as India before it's independents, **** we went over this like thousand times but I don't know how dumb someone has to be to not get it by then.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    here's the thing you just don't get, IRELAND IS A SEPERATE NATION, Yorkshire isn't. The fact that Irish cricket play for England doesn't show anything because the reason they play for England is to play test cricket.
    Being a separate nation is not important in international cricket. Not every team is defined by political boundaries.
    What the **** is wrong with you seriously? ****! how many time do I ****ing have to explain this **** to you? Ireland and Scotland are separate nations, they choose to separate themselves not some expansion ****, you say that they should break 100 years of history then if expansion was the case for the splits then why the hell is Wales still England? Why the hell is Windies together still? So it's not relevant what the fact is but it is relevant what fiction is, what you want huh? this is really pissing me off...
    There is only one reason why Wales is still under the same name as England - the fact that Glamorgan have been playing in the County Championship for the last 86 years. Had they not, the Board formed in 1997 would have been called the English Cricket Board, I've no doubt whatsoever about that. And equally, if East Stirlingshire and County Down had played in the Championship, the Board would have been called the British Isles Cricket Board and everything in the garden would be rosy, rather than this "Ireland and Scotland must be separate" crap.
    give Ireland test status and see if any of them would play for England...
    Why not go further? Why not give Finland and Albania Test status?

  15. #15
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Well on some level they must do, becuase Joyce has appeared for us & O'Brien (the wicket-keeping one, Niall?) said he'd be keen once his finished his residency. It's really the carrot of test cricket that causes them to switch allegiance tho.
    Yeah, that's more what I'm getting at...I'm a bit sceptical of the notion that Irish players would seek to play for England if the possibility of playing Test cricket wasn't there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Completely different, and you know it. Totally separate geographical areas. There was no reason for India to remain part of The British Empire. There is every reason for The British Isles to play cricket together.
    What are these reasons though? You seem to have stopped at 'because it's always been so' and that's not really a valid argument.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •