• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ireland and scotland to be kicked out by ecb

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Indeed. And had they wished to keep playing as "the subcontinent" or something, there's no reason they shouldn't have. But they didn't, and things became what they are. Such a thing is not remotely likely with The British Isles.
Right, so on the one hand you say it's fine for Pakistan & Bangladesh to play as seperate entities because they wanted to be, but you don't accord the same freedom of choice to Ireland or Scotland who have clearly expressed their wishes to do as such.

&, whilst the ECB might be the English & Welsh Cricket Board, it's an inescapable fact that Wales actually tried to qualify for the first world cup.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dire. Do we have to have the same debate in this thread that we've had in about 12 different onces recently? I don't mind if we discuss it further, but the original topic of the thread hasn't simply been evolved from - it was never discussed at all.

Ignoring whether or not they should be separate - they are. And as it stands, I think this is possibly the worst thing that could happen to Ireland and Scotland in cricketing terms. Really, aiming for admittance to the County Championship should have been the next goal of both these teams but they've basically sold that out in pursuit of money and quick-fix exposure. Really though, it's hardly their fault alone - as people have stated, the ECB are being fairly silly about it as well.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Being a separate nation is not important in international cricket. Not every team is defined by political boundaries.
Huh FYI, national an a country is not the same thing. dee dee dee
There is only one reason why Wales is still under the same name as England - the fact that Glamorgan have been playing in the County Championship for the last 86 years. Had they not, the Board formed in 1997 would have been called the English Cricket Board, I've no doubt whatsoever about that. And equally, if East Stirlingshire and County Down had played in the Championship, the Board would have been called the British Isles Cricket Board and everything in the garden would be rosy, rather than this "Ireland and Scotland must be separate" crap.
And why is the reason the WINDIES are still together? because they want to....expansion and all the crap you been saying is plain crap. If you really want to look at expansion than go looks before you talk, you're going to say oh I don't see any expansion to the elite group so what there's nothing happening so the ICC just seperated scotland and ireland to make it look expansionism but they really don't need to because they are doing a pretty good job at it and if you paid attention you would know but you're just ignorant, want to stay with you elitist though.
Why not go further? Why not give Finland and Albania Test status?
that was hypothetical to show the point but seems like some people are just too dumb to get it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dire. Do we have to have the same debate in this thread that we've had in about 12 different onces recently? I don't mind if we discuss it further, but the original topic of the thread hasn't simply been evolved from - it was never discussed at all.
Well that's really the fault of one poster, isn't it? His only argument for England as being "the British Isles" is that "it's always been like that" repeated ad nauseam.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well that's really the fault of one poster, isn't it? His only argument for England as being "the British Isles" is that "it's always been like that" repeated ad nauseam.
Yeah, there was no need for him to say such in this thread IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right, so on the one hand you say it's fine for Pakistan & Bangladesh to play as seperate entities because they wanted to be, but you don't accord the same freedom of choice to Ireland or Scotland who have clearly expressed their wishes to do as such.

&, whilst the ECB might be the English & Welsh Cricket Board, it's an inescapable fact that Wales actually tried to qualify for the first world cup.
Being 1975, right?

Pre-ECB. IE, exactly what I meant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, there was no need for him to say such in this thread IMO.
Yeah, yeah, all right - point taken.

I'm not gonna continue to respond to anything on that matter in this thread, but it does not mean anyone has swayed me.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Indeed. And had they wished to keep playing as "the subcontinent" or something, there's no reason they shouldn't have. But they didn't, and things became what they are. Such a thing is not remotely likely with The British Isles.
Ok so the subcontinent gets to choose what they want to do but the british isles doesn't?
they Subcontinent choose to play together before the break up and now they choose to be separate. the British Isles choose to play togather but now they choose not to, get it?
It is, as far as I'm concerned. There's no good reason at all to break with 100-odd years of tradition. It's not like ROI, Scotland, England, Wales and NI are at loggerheads and on the verge of nuclear war. There is no good reason why we should not have a united cricket team.
So are you saying the ICC broke the 100 year old traditions? If so why did't it break the 100 year old tradition of the WINDIES?

If geographical proximity is your main argument it's hardly compelling, is it? Some of the bitterest sporting rivalries are local. So no, there isn't every reason for the British Isles to play together. Your only contention seems to be that "it's always been like that".
he just doesn't get it and is ignorant of the fact that geographically ireland is a separated by water from england if he wants to bring geography into it.
Indeed they are - but when Yorkshire and Lancashire players are selected to play for England, they're as one, regardless of local rivalries when reprisenting Yorks and Lancs. There's no reason why Lancastrians and Irishmen should be separate other than "Republic Of Ireland is a separate political nation". Well, Jamaica and Barbados are separate nations too. But they've always played as West Indies. And until this expansion nonsense in 1997, the British Isles always played together without this "residential qualification" crap, even if the name was poorly dubbed "England".
Who knows, maybe we'd have had more Irishmen playing cricket if we'd been called "The British Isles" since 1903. Sadly, MCC didn't have the ability to look forward 90 years.
Here's another one, Ireland want's to be separate, and that it's different nation than England. A "nation" is not the same thing as a country West Indian colonies organized a unified cricket team which vaguely corresponded with the growing sense of nationhood (that ultimately failed when the federation of the colonies collapsed but the team continued as it had before). Yeah so the "expansion nonsense" separated the British Isles but not the Windies?

It isn't really an acceptable argument though.
I'm open to real and valid reasons why Ireland shouldn't be treated as a separate country in cricketing terms....but as far as I can see, the demarcation between Ireland and England as cricket teams wouldn't have been made if there was no potential for growth in Ireland or no potential for an eventually competitive Irish cricket team.
the only reason is because richard says so:laugh:

yeah seriously I don't think he knows what he's saying
Well we went over this 100 times and thought he got it by the last one but some people are just slow or something.
Ignoring whether or not they should be separate - they are. And as it stands, I think this is possibly the worst thing that could happen to Ireland and Scotland in cricketing terms. Really, aiming for admittance to the County Championship should have been the next goal of both these teams but they've basically sold that out in pursuit of money and quick-fix exposure. Really though, it's hardly their fault alone - as people have stated, the ECB are being fairly silly about it as well.
Yeah playing in the county championship is big but trying to get something going in Ireland like get a infrastructure and trying to aim to be semi-pro is bigger. They got the interest now they have to take advantage of it and get money and the exposure to get it started, it's hardly a selling it out. there's other times when 2 international matches are going on together but the ECB just wants a monopoly in Europe. ECB are just being selfish nothing else but selfish.

LA ICE-E

State Captain

I'm not gonna continue to respond to anything on that matter in this thread, but it does not mean anyone has swayed me.
no one could sway you because your ignorant and hard headed about this and only reason you continue to argue about this in various threads is because that's the way you want things and only reason that's how it been. Well USA had been with the british empire but we didn't like it so we choose to separate just like ireland and scotland in cricketing terms did.

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain

I'd like to see an answer to my question tbh. Whether that means starting a new thread or continuing discussion in this thread (which is what I'd prefer) is upto you.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
yes please continue 'cause this isn't off topic as it involves both ireland scotland and england.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd like to see an answer to my question tbh. Whether that means starting a new thread or continuing discussion in this thread (which is what I'd prefer) is upto you.
Well... OK, but don't anyone blame me.
It isn't really an acceptable argument though.
I'm open to real and valid reasons why Ireland shouldn't be treated as a separate country in cricketing terms....but as far as I can see, the demarcation between Ireland and England as cricket teams wouldn't have been made if there was no potential for growth in Ireland or no potential for an eventually competitive Irish cricket team.
That's really not important, though. There are or have been potential for many other subdivisions of the game in The British Isles to be strong enough to be separate teams. But because they've always been part of the team called "England" (which reprisents, in reality, The British Isles) it's become tradition.

It's extremely unlikely that there will ever be sufficient interest in Ireland to produce a separate team of international standard, anyway. It'd be great if the game got bigger there, but the maximum I think it has potential to do is become another notable part of The British Isles where the game is played, not to become an extra international force.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

That's really not important, though. There are or have been potential for many other subdivisions of the game in The British Isles to be strong enough to be separate teams. But because they've always been part of the team called "England" (which reprisents, in reality, The British Isles) it's become tradition.
Dont Ireland have their own soccer, Rugby, Hockey etc teams ? or Are you only referring to Cricket ? Anyways I always thought Ireland was not part of UK and it was only Scotland and Wales that were part of the Great Britain.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ireland is not part of The UK but it is part of The British Isles.

Ireland do indeed have separate rugby teams (as do Wales and Scotland) and both NI and ROI have separate football teams.

That's the way it always has been, you see.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I see another nation vs country debate starting to flare up in this thread :p

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Ireland is not part of The UK but it is part of The British Isles.

Ireland do indeed have separate rugby teams (as do Wales and Scotland) and both NI and ROI have separate football teams.

That's the way it always has been, you see.
Uh not it hasn't. Ireland and Northern Ireland use to play as one team too, and then ROI decided to change and separate you see. Things change, just because it was that way for 100 of years doesn't mean it has to stay the same. Slavery was a 100 year old tradition but it changed.

LA ICE-E

State Captain

It's extremely unlikely that there will ever be sufficient interest in Ireland to produce a separate team of international standard, anyway. It'd be great if the game got bigger there, but the maximum I think it has potential to do is become another notable part of The British Isles where the game is played, not to become an extra international force.
Did you not read my replies? How come you are not taking them on? May be because you were wrong? England represents England and Wales it might have represented the British Isles and it might have become traditions but guess what things change and traditions are broken. You never really have a good point to back this up and just shy away at the end of the discussions but then bring it up in another thread again. So I would like you to reply to all comments and than want to end this once and for all in this thread so you don't start the same old thing in a different one.
I see another nation vs country debate starting to flare up in this thread :p
no there shouldn't be because a country and a nation is not the same thing.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Did you not read my replies? How come you are not taking them on? May be because you were wrong? England represents England and Wales it might have represented the British Isles and it might have become traditions but guess what things change and traditions are broken. You never really have a good point to back this up and just shy away at the end of the discussions but then bring it up in another thread again. So I would like you to reply to all comments and than want to end this once and for all in this thread so you don't start the same old thing in a different one.

no there shouldn't be because a country and a nation is not the same thing.
I'm not desperately fond of jumping in on Richard's side, but right now you're screaming that black is white.

England always has been England + Wales + Scotland + Ireland. Anyone who was any cop in any one of the home countries played (and still wants to play) for England. See Ed Joyce, Gavin Hamilton, Niall O'Brien.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Gotta say I disagree with both the ECB and Richard. Richard's argument is totally flawed while the ECB seem to be a bit selfish. It'd be better if they tried to work along with Ireland and Scotland to ensure no secrecy instead of threatening them.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I'm not desperately fond of jumping in on Richard's side, but right now you're screaming that black is white.

England always has been England + Wales + Scotland + Ireland. Anyone who was any cop in any one of the home countries played (and still wants to play) for England. See Ed Joyce, Gavin Hamilton, Niall O'Brien.
It might have been that way but things change... They only play for England because Ireland and Scotland doesn't have test status. Again just because something was done this way for a long time doesn't mean it has to continue this way.