• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The race to sign Whatmore!

Who will get Whatmore?

• India

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • neither will

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

♪♪♪

Cricket Spectator
Coming back to the question of which is better - foreign or local?

Frankly it shouldn't make a difference as long as both are good coaches but there are a couple of factors that are more relevant to the sub continent.

1. The regionalism in India and Pakistan is SERIOUS business. Anyone who lives in India or Pakistan and thinks thats not the case is just arguing for the sake of argument. There wil be the odd unbiased individual but that would be a rarity and may not, necessarily, be a good coach anyway.

2. There are various new techniques that have evolved in coaching and countries like Australia are well ahead of us in adopting these thus coaches coming from these environments are much better able to use these techniques than most sub-continent coaches. Most of our coaches have a long way to go before they will catch up.

If 'home' coaches have been successful in Australia, its understandable.
Excellent post.
Besides, nowadays I see these idiots on the telly stating with unflinchable conviction that Indian coaches are as good as their foreign counterparts. Heres a simple question: If they're really that good, why aren't the other countries hiring them? The only example of a foreign nation having a reasonably successful run with an Indian coach that I can think of is Kenya under Sandeep Patil, and even their 2003 World Cup run was heavily forfeit-assisted.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Ask anyone(other than yourself) on this planet who has seen both play and they will tell you who was a better batsman and wicketkeeper. I dont understand on what basis you make such a claim.
kirmani was definitely the better keeper but mongia was the better batsman....

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
♪♪♪;1215487 said:
Excellent post.
Besides, nowadays I see these idiots on the telly stating with unflinchable conviction that Indian coaches are as good as their foreign counterparts. Heres a simple question: If they're really that good, why aren't the other countries hiring them? The only example of a foreign nation having a reasonably successful run with an Indian coach that I can think of is Kenya under Sandeep Patil, and even their 2003 World Cup run was heavily forfeit-assisted.
Oh Please, These idiots that you call them are Sunil Gavaskar and KapilDev, They have an advantage of seeing these Indian coaches which you and I dont. ..If you call them idiots then what are we who have no experience whatsover in this field ?

...Just because they are not hired by foreign team doesn't mean they are crap. Roger Binny for that matter will make an excellent bowling coach anywhere in the world, so will TA Shekhar. It was an Indian coach 'Ramakant Achrekar' that made Tendulkar so good. Another Indian Coach Vasu Paranjape has probably coached half of Mumbai players in last decade.

Once again I am not against Foreign coaches, but I am not for denying to a chance to Indian coaches on the basis of some regionalism crap either. I am sure Robin Singh and Binny have better credentials than the likes of Chappel and I am pretty sure that they will do better than Greg.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
♪♪♪;1215294 said:
Chappell cops a lot of flak. India went into decline before he even entered the picture. Wrights last year in charge was the beginning, and its surprising no one takes him to task for not becoming more stren towards the end.
Stern in what way?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thing is, people made it out to include Tendulkar and God-knows-how-many-other Indian players who were too primadonnaish to listen to the straight-talking Greg Chappell. And I don't like that perception, it seems to me to be based simply on stereotypes.
Well, I don't think Tendulkar is so selfish that he doesn't care about India. But there have been a couple of instances when he has left the acceleration part to the other end so that he can just stay not out. Also, he is remarkably protective about his batting slot and sometimes that has hindered India more than helped it. But really apart from it, there is nothing else to hold against him, IMHO. Callilng him a prima donna ish guy is just plain ridiculous.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
So it seems that Whatmore is now out of the running. I think Gavaskar's opinion against him ruled him out.
That article hasn't ruled him out yet, it just says there are other names as wells and that Ford is the choice of players. If Ford is indeed players choice then I will not pick him. I have lost faith in Indian players choices. Tendulkar/Ganguly/Sehwag/Bhajji and to some extent Kumble may want a coach of less repute, who they can bully around.

Edit :- Whatmore is indeed out. NDTV reports that BCCI has invited Ford and Ranatunga (Arjuna) for the coaching position.

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtvcricket/showstory.aspx?id=SPOEN20070014430&site=ndtv

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
That article hasn't ruled him out yet, it just says there are other names as wells and that Ford is the choice of players. If Ford is indeed players choice then I will not pick him. I have lost faith in Indian players choices. Tendulkar/Ganguly/Sehwag/Bhajji and to some extent Kumble may want a coach of less repute, who they can bully around.
Actually the other article on cricinfo does imply that Whatmore has been ruled out. Though nothing is official of course and things may change. I agree with you about deferring to the player's choice. I hope the committee makes an independent choice based on merit.

♪♪♪

Cricket Spectator
Oh Please, These idiots that you call them are Sunil Gavaskar and KapilDev, They have an advantage of seeing these Indian coaches which you and I dont. ..If you call them idiots then what are we who have no experience whatsover in this field ?
It would be presumptive to say they have an advantage of seeing Indian coaches. Kapil was a dismal failure as Indian coach, and Sunil prefers air conditioned commentary booths to the coaching role himself. Besides what knowledge do they have of how good Ford or Whatmore are, considering that you place a premium on them having seen the Indian coaches in action? Any comparative study requires one to have witnessed both parties in action, and how much do they know about the techniques followed by Ford or other foreign contender vis a vis their Indian counterparts to make such outlandish statements ?

...Just because they are not hired by foreign team doesn't mean they are crap.
If they're good enough, and well in tune with modern coaching techniques and technology, they shouldn't have had any problems landing those jobs with Test nations. What do you suggest as explanation for the total absence of Indian coaches in the International circuit ?

Roger Binny for that matter will make an excellent bowling coach anywhere in the world, so will TA Shekhar. It was an Indian coach 'Ramakant Achrekar' that made Tendulkar so good. Another Indian Coach Vasu Paranjape has probably coached half of Mumbai players in last decade.
And yet the very same Sachin Tendulkar doesn't propose the names of Achrekar or Paranjpe for the post. Considering the reverance Tendulkar has for Achrekar, it can only mean having been coached at the international level for close to 20 years, he realises that the methods employed by them do not cut it at this level.

Once again I am not against Foreign coaches, but I am not for denying to a chance to Indian coaches on the basis of some regionalism crap either. I am sure Robin Singh and Binny have better credentials than the likes of Chappel and I am pretty sure that they will do better than Greg.
Well, then try explaining away the "Indians can do better than foreigners" statements made by Kapil too. I have no problems with an Indian coach as long as he is more qualified than the foreigners vying for the job, but to dismiss outsiders purely on the basis of blind partriotism as Kapil and co are doing is stupid to say the least. Besides, it is the players themselves who seek a foreign coach. So you can either trust them and assume that they either perceive a regionalistic bias among Indian coaches or believe them to be inferior to better qualified foreign coaches, or rubbish their opinions and appoint a coach that is unwanted by them and be prepared for all the consequences arising from that. This is a time to be practical, not jingoistic.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
♪♪♪;1216732 said:
It would be presumptive to say they have an advantage of seeing Indian coaches. Kapil was a dismal failure as Indian coach, and Sunil prefers air conditioned commentary booths to the coaching role himself.
Yes Kapil was a dismal failure because he was not a COACH, his appointment was wrong based on his reputation not on his coaching qualifications/credentials. And I like it when Gavaskar refuses Indian coaching job. Gavaskar is not a qualified coach and hence we shouldn't be expecting him to take up such a position. And I take serious objection to it when people like yourself criticize him for doing it and also for that he takes up commentary job. Gavsakar does not have an obligation to coach Indian cricket but he and KapilDev have earned their right to have a say in Indian Cricket.

Besides what knowledge do they have of how good Ford or Whatmore are, considering that you place a premium on them having seen the Indian coaches in action?Any comparative study requires one to have witnessed both parties in action, and how much do they know about the techniques followed by Ford or other foreign contender vis a vis their Indian counterparts to make such outlandish statements ?
Whatmore has been an International coach for a while, so was Ford, Gavaskar is involved with Cricket media and has much better understanding to their abilities/inabilities than you or I. And he is also associated with NCA and its coaches to judge their abilities. So yeah I would love it If someone does makes a comparative studies of all these coaches (indian, Asian or or non-asian), which is what I have been trying to argue. Also AFAIK noone has said that foreign coaches are crap, Here is what Wadekar says :- http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/04062007/28/indian-coach-better-wadekar.html

If they're good enough, and well in tune with modern coaching techniques and technology, they shouldn't have had any problems landing those jobs with Test nations. What do you suggest as explanation for the total absence of Indian coaches in the International circuit ?
May be those international countries have enough home grown coaches, that's why they dont need Indian coaches, the fact is I dont know. I also dont know if those coaching positions are advertised, I also dont know If Venkatesh Prasad/Robin Singh etc are looking for coaching positions outside of India. So to claim that they are not good enough just because they are not hired in International circuit and that's why they are crap is just ridiculous.

How many International teams had hired Wright/Chappel before they were hired by India ? Or are you saying that you are willing to accept the Wright's/Chappel's coaching credentials at Kent/South Astralia but wont accept Binny coaching stint with world cup winning U-19 team, India Juniors and NCA ? Or that Robin Singh's coaching experience in India means crap but if goes on to coach a crappy county in English Cricket, he suddenly will become a highly talented coach ?

And yet the very same Sachin Tendulkar doesn't propose the names of Achrekar or Paranjpe for the post. Considering the reverance Tendulkar has for Achrekar, it can only mean having been coached at the international level for close to 20 years, he realises that the methods employed by them do not cut it at this level.
I dont give two hoots for Sachin Tendulkar's opinion, just because Tendulkars and Ganguly's of this world dont recommend Indian coaches doesn't mean Indian coaches are inefficient or that they dont have the methods to teach International stars like Tendulkar. Trust me Robin Singh can teach a lof things to Tendulkar and Ganguly, but are they willing to learn from a less-talented guy who used to be their side-kick as a player ? They sure can learn a lot about fielding, mental toughness, team spirit and work ethics from Robin Singh. It is more of a question of their egos than Robin Singh's coaching skills.

It has been 7 years since we had foreign coaches, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Zaheer, Kumble, Bhajji, Sehwag, Yuvraj etc didn't learn a single thing. So to hope that Graham Ford(or whoever) is going come and fix the problem right away is just putting too much of an expectation.

Well, then try explaining away the "Indians can do better than foreigners" statements made by Kapil too. I have no problems with an Indian coach as long as he is more qualified than the foreigners vying for the job, but to dismiss outsiders purely on the basis of blind partriotism as Kapil and co are doing is stupid to say the least. .
That's what I have been saying albiet in support of Indian coaches. Pick the best coach regardless of his origin. Regionalistic bias is going to stay because Zonal system is still there and a coach cant do much. Having a foreign coach is no recipe for success as was proved by Chappel's two years in India.

Besides, it is the players themselves who seek a foreign coach. So you can either trust them and assume that they either perceive a regionalistic bias among Indian coaches or believe them to be inferior to better qualified foreign coaches, or rubbish their opinions and appoint a coach that is unwanted by them and be prepared for all the consequences arising from that. This is a time to be practical, not jingoistic.
Who is being Jingoist here, not me, neither are guys like KapilDev, Gavaskar, who see Indian coaches like Binny.Venky Prasad/Robin Singh toil day in and day out only to be not even considered for coaching position why because they are Indians.

And Players opinions should not matter, not what after what has happened in last 2-3 years. They are driven by their self Interest and their self Interestonly. Had Ganguly known what Chappel had in mind for him, he would never hace recommended him as India coach. If players find it hard to get along with the coach, then tough luck dude, go play Ranji Trophy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Edit :- Whatmore is indeed out. NDTV reports that BCCI has invited Ford and Ranatunga (Arjuna) for the coaching position.

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtvcricket/showstory.aspx?id=SPOEN20070014430&site=ndtv
Graham Ford?

:mellow::wacko:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Haha, Ranatunga. I don't have a clue whether he's a good coach or not, but he'll be interesting no doubt.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, I want him to be the coach for the sheer hilariousness of his press conferences. I've given up on Indian cricket, and I don't think coach will make much of a difference one way or another with the prima donnas we tend to get in our team, so I might as well be entertained.

I want to see every single senior player made to do laps around the ground while carrying a goat over their head or something ludicrous like that. Ranatunga just might do that.

Don't know much about this Ford character, anyone have any ideas?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha Runatunga clearly seeing a chance to eat more pies from the Indian rupees on offer.
To be fair to Ranatunga, He has not approached for the job himself. His name was (reportedly) suggested by Sunil Gavaskar. Let's give credit where it is due. It isn't even clear If he is interested in taking up this job.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair to Ranatunga, He has not approached for the job himself. His name was (reportedly) suggested by Sunil Gavaskar. Let's give credit where it is due. It isn't even clear If he is interested in taking up this job.
Yeah i know that from what hear he doesn't not be involved directly in cricket for a while.