• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest match you've attended

cover drive man

International Captain
Hi everyone, I was on the forums and then I was curious has anyone here ever witnessed a truly fantastic cricket match? (Test, One day international, county, 20/20) Any comments would be apreciated.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Graeme Hick and Gary Kirsten's centuries at The Oval and Headingley in 1998 and 2003.

At least, they were the most memorable features of said days.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
The CDM's already mentioned the 2005 Old Trafford Ashes Test. That's up there, but Murali taking 7 in each innings at Southport also left a lasting impression.

cover drive man

International Captain
Isn't there a member who went to see Australia and South Africa were they both made world records I cant remember his username but its on his signature. That was a quality game.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose mine was my first game due to the teams/players involved, the historical significance and my own involvement.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1991/WI_IN_ENG/WI_ENG_T1_06-10JUN1991.html

Firstly it was Englands first test win against the West Indies at home since 1969. :wacko: A huge monkey to get off Englands back and was a big deal.

Ramprakash and Hick made their Test debuts and it was an exciting time to watch what we believed to be the future debut in front of us.

There were quality players everywhere you looked GA Gooch, MA Atherton, GA Hick, AJ Lamb, MR Ramprakash, RA Smith, RC Russell, DL Haynes, RB Richardson, CL Hooper, IVA Richards, PJL Dujon, MD Marshall, CEL Ambrose, CA Walsh, BP Patterson.

It was a stacked Test match in terms of players.

Also I celebrated my 15th birthday during the Test and it felt like a honour to be that young and do 'Test Match Duty' ie Bowling with the bowlers at the batsmen in the nets before play for both England and WI, catching with the baseball mit during fielding sessions etc Great experience. Also as I was there during the day in the pavilion I got to chat with a few guys. For that Test Lara was 12th man and everytime he took gloves or a drink out he would sit next to me on the bench and we would have a chat.

So basically an important game for English cricket, full of great players and a great personal experience interacting and netting with the players.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For me it has to be Aus vs India at Delhi , November 1969.

It was only India's third test win over Australia ever. It was also the second test match of the great Vishy who had scored a century on debut in the previous game.

Bedi and Prasanna bowled magnificiently taking 9 wickets each with Bedi coming on to bowl only after one over by Solkar in the second innings and Prasanna bowling the next from the other end. The 107 for which India got the Aussies out is still the lowest score by them against India.

India needed 181 in the second innings and lost 3 wickets with 120 still to go. Wadekar and Vishy got them but Vishy's 44 not out was an absolute gem of an innings.

One shot he played has been forever etched on my brain.

Mckenzie bowled a lively outswinger on the middle and off and moving away, Vishy went forward in defence, the bat more or less staying perpendicular after he had played the ball and the ball raxed like a rocket to the cover boundary !

This match also saw a fantastic display of off spin bowling by Mallett in India's first innings.