• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greatest match you've attended

pasag

RTDAS
I haven't been to that many great matches either. I was there the day that Graham Thorpe hit a really good hundred in 1994 (actually, that test started on Christmas Eve, rather than Boxing Day) in Melbourne.

Also, went to every day of the Boxing Day test vs South Africa, but the excitement in that wasn't really on the field for me.
Yeah 05 Boxing Day match wasn't anything special, nice innings from Symonds though.

pasag

RTDAS
I suppose mine was my first game due to the teams/players involved, the historical significance and my own involvement.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1991/WI_IN_ENG/WI_ENG_T1_06-10JUN1991.html

Firstly it was Englands first test win against the West Indies at home since 1969. :wacko: A huge monkey to get off Englands back and was a big deal.

Ramprakash and Hick made their Test debuts and it was an exciting time to watch what we believed to be the future debut in front of us.

There were quality players everywhere you looked GA Gooch, MA Atherton, GA Hick, AJ Lamb, MR Ramprakash, RA Smith, RC Russell, DL Haynes, RB Richardson, CL Hooper, IVA Richards, PJL Dujon, MD Marshall, CEL Ambrose, CA Walsh, BP Patterson.

It was a stacked Test match in terms of players.

Also I celebrated my 15th birthday during the Test and it felt like a honour to be that young and do 'Test Match Duty' ie Bowling with the bowlers at the batsmen in the nets before play for both England and WI, catching with the baseball mit during fielding sessions etc Great experience. Also as I was there during the day in the pavilion I got to chat with a few guys. For that Test Lara was 12th man and everytime he took gloves or a drink out he would sit next to me on the bench and we would have a chat.

So basically an important game for English cricket, full of great players and a great personal experience interacting and netting with the players.
That's awesome and also quite jealous of Burgey and that ODI.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I suppose mine was my first game due to the teams/players involved, the historical significance and my own involvement.

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1991/WI_IN_ENG/WI_ENG_T1_06-10JUN1991.html

Firstly it was Englands first test win against the West Indies at home since 1969. :wacko: A huge monkey to get off Englands back and was a big deal.

Ramprakash and Hick made their Test debuts and it was an exciting time to watch what we believed to be the future debut in front of us.

There were quality players everywhere you looked GA Gooch, MA Atherton, GA Hick, AJ Lamb, MR Ramprakash, RA Smith, RC Russell, DL Haynes, RB Richardson, CL Hooper, IVA Richards, PJL Dujon, MD Marshall, CEL Ambrose, CA Walsh, BP Patterson.

It was a stacked Test match in terms of players.

Also I celebrated my 15th birthday during the Test and it felt like a honour to be that young and do 'Test Match Duty' ie Bowling with the bowlers at the batsmen in the nets before play for both England and WI, catching with the baseball mit during fielding sessions etc Great experience. Also as I was there during the day in the pavilion I got to chat with a few guys. For that Test Lara was 12th man and everytime he took gloves or a drink out he would sit next to me on the bench and we would have a chat.

So basically an important game for English cricket, full of great players and a great personal experience interacting and netting with the players.
Goughy,

That is ****ing incredible mate!!!

What a fantastic experience. One to tell the grandkids. Bloody sensational.

Did Ambrose utter a word in your, or anyone else's direction?

Dydl

International Debutant
Boxing Day Test last year against England, 1st day when Warne got his 700th. Also attended the ODI match vs Sri Lanka, 2nd final at the SCG in the VB Series a couple of years ago when Ponting and Symonds both made like 150. Was Symonds' first 100 in Australia and Ponting's first ODI century at the SCG.

Fiery

Banned
My debut at the hallowed turf of Lords for this game. Also NZ's first win at Lords. Went to all 4 days. Very fond memories

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy,

That is ****ing incredible mate!!!

What a fantastic experience. One to tell the grandkids. Bloody sensational.

Did Ambrose utter a word in your, or anyone else's direction?
haha, I didnt hear a word from Ambrose but I was only 14 when the test started and by far the youngest of guys there doing Test match duty and I was nervous as hell.

When I first got there I just stood at the side of the nets and was scared until Lance Gibbs called me over threw a ball at me and said something like "you are a bowler right?". From standing at the side of the nets like a little boy to bowling with Ambrose and Marshall against Haynes in the space of 2 mins. :) Crazy.

Though the highlight was probably before day 3 where Gooch was preparing for the England 2nd innings and myself and 2 other local fast bowlers bowled at him whilst Boycott was at the side coaching. Brilliant and most importantly England won the Test.

EDIT- I forgot to put on the original post that Ramprakash took one of the best catches ever upto that point in time. Incredible. Its interesting now that looking back at that catch it would still be classed as very good but we have certainly seen many better. Its easy to forget how much fielding standards have improved, even over the last 15 years.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
EDIT- I forgot to put on the original post that Ramprakash took one of the best catches ever upto that point in time. Incredible. Its interesting now that looking back at that catch it would still be classed as very good but we have certainly seen many better. Its easy to forget how much fielding standards have improved, even over the last 15 years.
Yes, I remember it well. IIRC he also manged a direct hit to achieve spectacular run out in the same passage of play.

The other thing I remember from that game is Atherton running in like a madman to dive & claim the winning catch from, I think, under Ramprakash's nose. A great game, and, as you say, what seemed like a hugely significant one.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
only ever been to 1 match and what a great match it was

pakistan vs england where pakistan smashed 353 in 2005

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You and the rest of New Zealand. Every time I watch a test match involving New Zealand at home the stadium is completely empty.
Yeah, it's a big problem with New Zealand cricket. If I lived in Wellington or Auckland then I would almost definately be at the ground to watch a Test match, just take a few days off school or work.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, it's a big problem with New Zealand cricket. If I lived in Wellington or Auckland then I would almost definately be at the ground to watch a Test match, just take a few days off school or work.
Where exactly is Clutha Valley? (Not that I'm stalking you, obviously)