• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Blewett pushed into retirement

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bit of a sad way to go for a very, very fine player, and at 35 he's hardly drawing a pension, but there we go.

Congrats on a superb career for most teams he played for (Yorks and Australia being the exceptions).

Shame Brendan had left by the time this happened. :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
I quite liked him for a long time, but honestly, the part where he says he under-achieved is pretty accurate, and the internal SACA politics aside, I'm not a fan of guys in their mid-30s who had a Test career and who are not going to get back into the Test team sticking around to collect the cheque and in doing so denying younger players an opportunity to improve their game at FC level. It's a bit different if you're a Shane Warne or Darren Lehmann, who will be providing plenty of experience and 'teaching' to the young guys coming through, but Blewett for mine isn't in that category.

So to that extent I applaud his decision - which I've no doubt was aided by the fact that he seems to be a chance to turn the commentary thing into a steady gig.

For a while he was a quite exciting, and later a solid batting prospect for Australia.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He was known to have been shopping himself around a bit last season; Chairman of Selectors Paul Nobes has made it very clear Blewett would never get another game under his watch.
I'm not a fan of guys in their mid-30s who had a Test career and who are not going to get back into the Test team sticking around to collect the cheque and in doing so denying younger players an opportunity to improve their game at FC level.
I know what you mean, but if these guys still enjoy their cricket, and people think they can still contribute, it's a bit harsh to just write them away.

And Blewett not being a guy who could teach players - I think that's a bit harsh without knowing the guy. It just seems like many of the "julios" get that sort of wrap.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any player is worth keeping so long as they remain a good player, IMO.

Would you find-out more about a bowler if he was bowling at Matthew Elliott or some novice opener averaging in the low 20s?

Matt79

Global Moderator
I know what you mean, but if these guys still enjoy their cricket, and people think they can still contribute, it's a bit harsh to just write them away.
Agree, to an extent. I don't want to say that if you're not a future test player you have no business trying to hold down a FC slot - if you extend that logic far enough, 99% might as well never bother playing at all. However, I do think that the fact that, from a big picture perspective, we want to have young players who have the potential to develop into international prospects coming through the ranks, and sometimes the seasoned 'FC pro' can have the side-effect of denying those opportunities. I suppose the flip-side is that they often improve the standard of the competition which in turn produces better players. I wouldn't have said Blewett fell into this category previously, but I'd guess he's probably getting to that point now.

And Blewett not being a guy who could teach players - I think that's a bit harsh without knowing the guy. It just seems like many of the "julios" get that sort of wrap.
Again, agreed - it was probably harsher than what I meant to say, which is that I think in cases where guys are exceptional cricket players and cricketing brains, like Warne and Lehmann, then its fantastic to have them around as much as possible, almost regardless of whether they're still a force on the field. But that's exceptional. Blewett's experience and knowledge no doubt could have been, and probably has been, immensely helpful to the SA team, but I don't think he's quite in that exceptional category as a 'playing coach/mentor'. Which is hardly a knock against him tbh. And obviously this is all based on what I've seen as an outsider, so its probably got as little merit as any other discussion regarding a player's personality and off-field contributions! ;)

Matt79

Global Moderator

Would you find-out more about a bowler if he was bowling at Matthew Elliott or some novice opener averaging in the low 20s?
That's true - as I said in my reply to Jack, I guess it's a balancing act...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's one of those players which I find randomly people will say "yeah I like Ponting and Hayden... but my favourite player of all time is still Blewett."

He was okay to watch, I wouldn't say I was a big fan. It seems he has a future in commentating going by his recent appearances.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's one of those players which I find randomly people will say "yeah I like Ponting and Hayden... but my favourite player of all time is still Blewett."

He was okay to watch, I wouldn't say I was a big fan. It seems he has a future in commentating going by his recent appearances.
Just for a second I thought you were saying I like Hayden.

Would have been cue for a :mellow::wacko::blink::eek::surprise: :jawdrop::w00t: if so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

Interesting to see you how reconcile that with your stance on Kolpaks and the like.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Considering the job that Blewett did with SA, when he was captain. I thought he did a really good job personally. I reckon he would be good coach for their young batsmen. Mind you with Lehmann, Elliott (who meant to be an assistant coach or something), Blewett and maybe Greg Chappell as head coach, its a bit over kill with so many batting orientent coaches/experienced players. You will probably get all four giving you different advice during the season.

On the issue of older players hanging around too long, personally i think its worse when younger players get thrown into the starting XI too early or your batting line up is full of inexperience batsmen. I got no problem with quality batsmen like Blewett hanging around, who have played at the highest level. The problem i have is when you have the Greg Mail's of the world hanging around and not letting the Jarrad Burke's get a game. Its about having a balanced batting line up with experienced and talented players in the same side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting to see you how reconcile that with your stance on Kolpaks and the like.
Completely separate issues, for a variety of reasons. 1, I've always said that good non-English-qualified (whether Kolpak, EU-passport or overseas-player) players are always worth a go, it's the ones who are barely if at all better than the English ones (and they're the large majority) that I'd rather do without. 2, retaining established ex-international players is no different in cost - and that's the major issue I've got with import (of any kind) players, nothing to do with forcing-out home-grown players - to bringing in younger, lesser-quality players.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sad to see him go in this fashion, but a fine player. Could make a few appearances in the commentary box later in life as well.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well, he was a very good player and unfortunate to have not had more internationals. Hopefully, he will have a good career in the commentary box or wherever he is gonna go now.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
He might have been pushed into retirement but i think he was about due, better to retire then try and ride it out and perform for another year. He seems to have a commentary gig waiting for him at the moment which is a good excuse to go now too.

Craig

World Traveller
Would of been one of those players had he been born in England/New Zealand/West Indies/South Africa or anywhere else he would have had a longer go and in turn likely would have been more successfull if going by the law of averages.

Been a while since I saw him bat properly, wasn't it his technique that caught him out?