• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

At what exact date...

pasag

RTDAS
Something that's been bugging me for a while. At what exact date or after which match could Sachin have retired and be considered one of the greatest ever, say top 3 or so cricketers in history. It's no secret that playing past his best may hurt the way history will view him and he's been slipping out of people's all time XI's for a while now.

Obviously this is not when he should have retired as he should keep playing as long as he contributes to the team and enjoys himself. But when could he have retied to be considered in the top rung of cricketers (assuming you don't think he's already there)?

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, if he retired on the date Fiery posted he'd probably be considered among the top three greatest ever. For mine, he's already up in the top rung anyway. At any rate, I think after he retires he'll be rated higher....when people forget the less impressive latter part of his career and remember the many years of greatness. A lot of cricketers have declined with age, Viv Richards for example, but he's still rated as being among the best despite a comparatively poor showing in the latter half of his Test career. I think it'll be similar with Tendulkar (assuming he doesn't turn it around now).

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah some time around 2002.

Or perhaps if we're talking on a sentimental note, after the 2001 test series vs. Australia where he tonned up in the 3rd test, contributing greatly to that win.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I seriously have faith that Sachin will come good and win MOS for the England and Australia tour and people will once again be reminded of his greatness. :cool:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Something that's been bugging me for a while. At what exact date or after which match could Sachin have retired and be considered one of the greatest ever, say top 3 or so cricketers in history.
Without wanting to sound controversial, never. Not close to top 3 in history.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am not sure about top three, but I would say top six if he retired around the dates that people are saying. As it is, I think his stock will improve again after he retires. Same thing happened with Richards, who declided quite severely in his last three years, but people tend to forget that now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ATWA x2, and
right year, wrong date. He had 4 shocker innings after that, but recovered from those. It was the New Zealand tour that started his decline that lasted so long (and may still be going - but as I've said, he looked better in his most recent series than he has at any point since the one I'm about to name), and his last innings before that was on 3\11\2002.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Most people around turn of the century had him in his all time side, including guys like Bradman and Benaud...so I definiately think his reputation was up there. In one of his books, Benaud puts him in the top five all time, but his stock has dropped quite a bit in the last four years.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm confident that he'll come good again and turn out to be a run machine for another year or two. The series in England is going to be a crucial point though, if he fails in the Test's then I can see his Test career being over.