Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cricket Q&A

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    The answer to your first question is a 6. All overs are sometimes not bowled because of a slow over rate which means how many overs are bowled in one hour of play. 12 overs an hour is considered slow. It is possible to make up time and bowl more overs by starting the match 30 minutes earlier. Hope I answered everything you asked for.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    The answer to your first question is a 6. All overs are sometimes not bowled because of a slow over rate which means how many overs are bowled in one hour of play. 12 overs an hour is considered slow. It is possible to make up time and bowl more overs by starting the match 30 minutes earlier. Hope I answered everything you asked for.
    Just to expand on that, slow over rates could be caused by the fielding side constantly changing the field, bowlers with long run ups, or maybe because the fielding side was deliberately trying to slow down the batting team.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

U19 12th Man
    should there be a minimum over rate?
    during the Bangladesh vs. India test the commentators were talking about how there were 26 overs in an hour back in good old times.
    a minimum 15 overs per hour would make sense to me.

School Boy/Girl Captain Stefano's Avatar
    Thanks for your reply. However there is still some doubt. Slow bowling: this should not be tolerated. If 90 overs should be bowled in one day, that target should be reached, unless there are some reasons.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    *sigh* Indeed it should. There are penalties for slow over-rates, there is a stipulation that 15-per-hour is the minumum (hardly ever achieved), it's 100% not acceptible (people routinely used to bowl 20 overs an hour 40 or 50 years ago), but almost invariably people are too light on those responsible.

The amount of time between deliveries - most of the time - is unutterably ridiculous IMO.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Just to expand on that, slow over rates could be caused by the fielding side constantly changing the field, bowlers with long run ups, or maybe because the fielding side was deliberately trying to slow down the batting team.
    The latter was a tactic well used by the Windies in the 80s on the very rare occasions they found themselves in a bit of strife. With 4 quicks they sometimes bowled very few overs in a day. Their attack was intimidating enough let alone without there being any pressure on them to at least get close to 90 overs in a day.
    Would be interesting to have seen them try to meet a quota of 90 in a day. Wonder if it would have reduced their effectiveness?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke
    #FreeShri
    #408. Sixty three not out forever.

Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The latter was a tactic well used by the Windies in the 80s on the very rare occasions they found themselves in a bit of strife. With 4 quicks they sometimes bowled very few overs in a day. Their attack was intimidating enough let alone without there being any pressure on them to at least get close to 90 overs in a day.
    Would be interesting to have seen them try to meet a quota of 90 in a day. Wonder if it would have reduced their effectiveness?

No, I don't believe that would have happened as you need to remember the Windies sides of the 80's were superbly and more importantly astutely led.
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    True. It's just another example of the changing ways of the game I guess.

U19 12th Man
    what about a 25-run penalty if the minimum 15 overs aren't reached?
    i know a team can find excuses, even fake injuries and so on, but something has to be done.

I'm certainly in favour of some sort of very immediately effective punishment. In a Test, of course, it could only be runs - added as penalty-runs to the opponent's tally. I'd do it on a session-by-session basis - if you haven't managed 15-an-hour, add 25 runs or something. And it needs to be that much - just 5, say, wouldn't be that much of a handicap, it'd be the same as if someone bowled a wide that went to the boundary.

In the domestic game where league tables are in operation, points-deduction would work best IMO. And not the sort of nonsensical, flimsy, 1\4-of-a-point nonsense we currently have in England. Something good and proper that makes a real effect on your place in the table.

School Boy/Girl Captain Stefano's Avatar
    I have some doubt about this situation. I hope you can help me.

What happens if one ball is both a no-ball and a wide? How many runs are awarded to the batting team? 2? How many balls are added to the over?
    Proud member of the "Twenty20 is Boring Society."

Sadly, once something is a no-ball, it cannot be a wide.

Me, I'd like a situation where a delivery could be both... I don't see why you should get away with 1 error because you've made another.

So once a no-ball is called, there can be no wide. However, if the ball goes for what would normally have been byes this becomes no-balls - say it goes and the batsmen run 2, this is then 3 no-balls instead of 2 byes.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread Information