• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Okay. All good points there, tbh. Yet I must declare a dis-interest, which probably explains my preferred choice.

I'm really not in the least bit bothered about the results of ODIs. IMHO bowling in limited overs cricket is detrimental to Montys development as an attacking spinner in Tests, which is the Holy grail for me. I would rather he didn't play them in domestic cricket either (actually that's pretty much the case with Northamptonshire anyway).

I probably have suggested Blackwell, because of geographical bias, but tbh, I don't really give a **** who plays, as long as it's not Panesar. They could recall Robert Croft, Gareth Batty or put Richard Dawson in for all I care.
Any other spin bowlers been effected by such? I agree with the theory, but when put in place, it doesn't really add up to being detrimental to the bowler.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah its a myth. Honestly people act and talk about Monty as if he's a baby with no brain of his own. Like he needs to be spoonfed to flight the ball. He's not an idiot, he knows the difference between the formats, and bowls differently (rightly or wrongly) in both formats.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not talking about other bowlers, I'm talking about Monty. He does have a habit of bowling it short and flat under pressure. He does it occasionally in Tests. I just think he'd be better playing county cricket, then being an average ODI performer, where his fielding and batting is a more noticeable problem.

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not talking about other bowlers, I'm talking about Monty. He does have a habit of bowling it short and flat under pressure. He does it occasionally in Tests. I just think he'd be better playing county cricket, then being an average ODI performer, where his fielding and batting is a more noticeable problem.
I don't see how it is any better for his development that he bowls constantly against extremely average county cricketers regularly than against the world's best.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The problem with Monty's limited overs bowling is the fact that he's barely done any at domestic level anyway. Its stupid.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
The problem with Monty's limited overs bowling is the fact that he's barely done any at domestic level anyway. Its stupid.
Thats happened with a number of bowlers. Simon Jones played more one day games for England than he had for Glamorgan at one point i think or something like that. It really shouldn't be up to England to give players the exposure they need.