• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jesse Ryder set to quit NZ for England

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Heh, I've been waiting years for the opportunity to say this.

Well, well, well, look who's come crawling back.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'm sorry, Jesse, you can't have it both ways.

Let's look at your latest statement:

"I would like to publicly state that I am completely committed to New Zealand Cricket and playing for the Black Caps."

"Contrary to reports, I am not turning my back on New Zealand Cricket and I do not believe I have been hard done by in not getting the opportunity to play for the Black Caps. I know I have to earn this opportunity and to date I know I have not done enough to warrant selection."

"What I did say is that if I was given the opportunity to represent the Black Caps, I would jump at the opportunity to fulfil my dream of doing this."

"I am currently playing club cricket in Liverpool and at the end of the current English season, I will be returning to New Zealand to play for the State Wellington Firebirds - a team and a province who have looked after me very well and who I am committed to."

"I was very upset and angry to hear that it had been written that I was turning my back on New Zealand. I am not staying in England and I have no desire to represent them
And let's have a look at the original article.

"I have talked about it with a few people - it's always an option," Ryder told Sunday News from the UK last night.

"Both of my parents' dads are from England. And my dad has got a British passport.

"I don't worry about playing for New Zealand anymore, to be honest.

"It would be a good challenge playing for England.

"I know I am only young. But I have had two very good New Zealand A tours and stuff like that - but I don't even get a chance.

"I've been doing a job on the field. So I can't see why they didn't give me a go."

Ryder, 22, confirmed he had made himself unavailable for the upcoming New Zealand A tour of Australia.

He said he was "sick" of playing for the side, claiming his performances in domestic cricket were worthy of a full national call-up.

"I didn't want to play for them for another year," he said.

"I have told New Zealand Cricket. It didn't go down well, I had a few phone calls."
Included in there is "I don't worry about playing for New Zealand anymore, to be honest" and ""It would be a good challenge playing for England". So it's either one of two things, Jesse - you're trying to weasel your way back into NZC's good books by trying to dampen down your original comments, or you're accusing senior journalist Neil Reid of making up quotes. Which one is it?

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
At least this latest set of comments appear to indicate that he's aware of his public image problem, if not that he actually rates the public's collective intelligence. Which he clearly doesn't.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
The guy probably had to admit a county probably wouldn't touch him with a barge pole - especialy after the way he mucked about Ireland - so he's come back with his tail betwen his legs.Personaly I think the Black Caps can have him, will he get a trip here next year with them?

Fiery

Banned
The guy probably had to admit a county probably wouldn't touch him with a barge pole - especialy after the way he mucked about Ireland - so he's come back with his tail betwen his legs.Personaly I think the Black Caps can have him, will he get a trip here next year with them?
Fair assessment actually. He probably wont if Bracewell is still in charge but if not, then maybe

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The way he acted at Ireland probably wrecked his chance of any county having a serious look at him, not that they would have anyway IMO. It's pretty unlikely that Ryder will make the trip next year, especially if Bracewell is still the coach, but it's certainly not out of the question.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The bloke sounds a bit pretentious to me, is he actually as good as his ego suggests?
Very good first class batsman in NZ - nothing ridiculously special though judging by his record. Mathew Sinclair and Peter Fulton have outdone him career-wise, and even Hamish Marshall has done so in recent seasons. Probably has enough talent to be in the team, but his first class performances aren't anything to say he should definitely be there - only that he'd be worth a look if a place came up. His one day performances have been pretty dire too, and given NZ play tests very infrequently, it'd be hard to give him an extended run anyway.

Perm

The bloke sounds a bit pretentious to me, is he actually as good as his ego suggests?
Averages around 45 in New Zealand conditions and has done pretty well on the few A tours he has been on, definately has the talent to succeed, just not the attitude.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Included in there is "I don't worry about playing for New Zealand anymore, to be honest" and ""It would be a good challenge playing for England". So it's either one of two things, Jesse - you're trying to weasel your way back into NZC's good books by trying to dampen down your original comments, or you're accusing senior journalist Neil Reid of making up quotes. Which one is it?
If it's good enough for Vaughan....

Seriously, I hope some site puts up the audio of his original interview like the Guardian did for MPV when he basically accused Donald McRae of lying over the Fredalo interview. The really stomach turning thing is that, living in the age of media training as we do, I would guess someone has advised Jess that this volte-face was a good idea. The contempt the PR industry must have for the public's intelligence is staggering really.

grecian

So, he's fat obnoxious, talks ****e, but is undoubtedly talented.

Hmm, if he does come to England, he maybe knighted in 30 years or so:ph34r:

Craig

World Traveller
Ryder and Wallabies prop Matt Dunning look like they could be mates at the nearest pie shop or pub :ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
Ryder and Wallabies prop Matt Dunning look like they could be mates at the nearest pie shop or pub :ph34r:
They probably are.

On the subject of Ryder, I'd be tempted to bring him into the side but not give him a contract. Give that to Sinclair. We need another ODI opener and a stint in the national team could sort his atitude out because i can hardly see our management putting up with any **** from him.

Perm

On the subject of Ryder, I'd be tempted to bring him into the side but not give him a contract. Give that to Sinclair. We need another ODI opener and a stint in the national team could sort his atitude out because i can hardly see our management putting up with any **** from him.
Ryder is a crap List A played, average of less than 25 I think which is shocking, especially compared to how accomplished he is as a First Class batsman.

Flem274*

123/5
Ryder is a crap List A played, average of less than 25 I think which is shocking, especially compared to how accomplished he is as a First Class batsman.
Really? Is it because he is more of a Richardson type player? Or is it just not concentrating on his shot selection and trying to whack everything?

Perm

Really? Is it because he is more of a Richardson type player? Or is it just not concentrating on his shot selection and trying to whack everything?
I have no idea TBH, from what I have read he is quite an attacking First Class batsman so I don't really understand why his success hasn't carried over into the shorter form of the game. Perhaps it is a case, as you mentioned, of him just trying to whack everything out of the park.

Craig

World Traveller
I have no idea TBH, from what I have read he is quite an attacking First Class batsman so I don't really understand why his success hasn't carried over into the shorter form of the game. Perhaps it is a case, as you mentioned, of him just trying to whack everything out of the park.
I guess the same way Michael Slater failed as a ODI batsman despite being one of the most agressive openers I've seen (and that includes the likes of Sehwag, Trescothick, Smith, Gibbs when he opened, Gayle, Hayden, Jayasuriya) in Test cricket. I suppose there is a point of being too agressive and having no batting plan.