• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Botham set to receive Knighthood

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha. He'd never get a knighthood for his commentary, that's for sure.

But his charity work is superb and has been for many, many years.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah agree with Goughy. Many people don't realise that he has worked tirelessly over the year for Leaukemia (I know I spelled that wrong), and has completed many walks and the like.

Best guy.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he certainly deserves it on 2 counts in my opinion. Charity Work and his Cricketing achievements. The guy was legend most of his career till his last 20 odd Tests. He single handedly won quite a few Test Matches and Ashes for England , he deserved it purely on his cricketing abilities long long ago, but her majesty's advisers put him on the back burner for a while, I suspect because of misdemeanors in his private life and bad publicity he generated around his cricketing and immediate retirement period from his colourful private Life around that time.

Now that's all been forgotten and he is definitely become worthy of his knighthood from his charity work alone , he has been brought back from the back burner and thoroughly deserving ,IMO, on both counts ...Cricket achievements and Charity...

Sir Ian Botham ....Well deserved.

Majin

International Debutant
Yeah, absolutely top man when it comes to charity work, can't knock it at all.

James

Cricket Web Owner
For his charity work he deserves one for sure.

Personally, no sportsman should ever get a Knighthood on the back of just their sporting achievements though. It gets me every time when I read for "Services to Rugby/Cricket/Football, etc". And that's important how exactly?

Isura

U19 Captain

Personally, no sportsman should ever get a Knighthood on the back of just their sporting achievements though. It gets me every time when I read for "Services to Rugby/Cricket/Football, etc". And that's important how exactly?
Sportsman entertain, and inspire and give hope to many people. I think that is fairly worthy contribution to society it its own right, although I have no idea what the criteria for knighthood is.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When I first read the headline for this story in the newspaper I laughed. Sir Beefy. He has done a lot of charity work though, and would deserve a knighthood.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
If it is true(there was a rumour years ago it was going to happen and it didn't) thououghly deserved. And i would say even just for his cricket never mind his charity work -he is far more deserving than all those MPs who contribute nothing and no one has heard of but still get knighthoods for kissing the PM's a**!

cover drive man

International Captain

Sportsman entertain, and inspire and give hope to many people. I think that is fairly worthy contribution to society it its own right, although I have no idea what the criteria for knighthood is.
I'm with James sports people shouldn't be given knighthoods just for services to cricket/football/rugby/general sport etc basically because there are people who go out there saving lives who dont even get an mbe let alone knighthood. But I can see were Isura is coming from sports people do entertain and inspire but they dont save lives some do with Charity and that is why Ian Botham is recieving a knighthood.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm with James sports people shouldn't be given knighthoods just for services to cricket/football/rugby/general sort etc basically because there are people who go out there saving lives who dont even get an mbe let alone knighthood. But I can see were Isura is coming from sports people do entertain and inspire but they dont save lives some do with Charity and that is why Ian Botham is recieving a knighthood.
I can pretty much guarantee that people who do charity work out of the public eye don't actually want plaudits, just appreciation. For most people like that, a Knighthood would mean **** all.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

You don't get a knighthood for being good at a certain sport, at least not as far as I know. People like Sir Richard Hadlee and Sir Brian Lochore have both been heavily involved in cricket and rugby respectively after their retirements, doing a lot of hard work so that others can benefit from this. Often when people are given knighthoods for "Services to Rugby/Cricket/Football, etc" they are being rewarded for after they have retired.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
You don't get a knighthood for being good at a certain sport, at least not as far as I know. People like Sir Richard Hadlee and Sir Brian Lochore have both been heavily involved in cricket and rugby respectively after their retirements, doing a lot of hard work so that others can benefit from this. Often when people are given knighthoods for "Services to Rugby/Cricket/Football, etc" they are being rewarded for after they have retired.
Didn't Hadlee get a knighthood while he was still playing though?