• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should county cricket go back to three days?

Should county cricket go back to three days?

• Total voters

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Sir Geoffrey seems to be unimpressed by the Schofield report and has wrote in his newspaper column that county cricket should go back to three days. I reckon he's crazy - from what I remember of three day cricket you could normally only get a positive result by (a) having green "result" pitches" or (b) "joke" bowling to contrive a third day run chase (the sort of nonsense that allowed Steve O'Shaunessy of Lancashire to equal the record for the fastest FC centuary by minutes. How on earth either of these would improve the England team I have no idea but maybe I'm wrong. So does anyone agree with Sir Geoffrey and think three day county cricket is a god idea?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, no, no way. Three-day cricket and covered pitches don't mix. There's no way you'll get proper Test players prepared with that.

The O'Shaughnessy innings wasn't a result of declaration-bowling, though - it was a game that was long-since consigned to a draw and the joke-bowling was a result of a desire to improve over-rates, not gift easy runs.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Normally a big fan of Boycott but he is wrong in this regard.

4 day games bring more games to a natural conclusion and are far closer in length and tempo to test cricket than 3 day cricket is.

Now if Tests reverted back to uncovered wickets then Id be all for 3 day CC games on uncovered wickets but they haven't.

You obviously have to play a game most similar to the Test format. 3 day games are thankfully a thing of the past.

Craig

World Traveller
Of course not.

And besides they will only end up playing even more as a result in all likelyhood.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't beleive Boycott is serious about this. Sri Lanka are the only Test nation in the world that have 3 day First Class fixtures, and it would be a very silly move if England seriously thought about doing the same.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Tbf, looking back on it, I can see that it would probably be better to stay with 4 days, but I would certainly like to see the 3 day being trialed.