• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The future of NZ bowling?

Flem274*

123/5
Hey guys, Im wondering what the future may hold for the future of our bowling attack and the line ups you would like to see. We all know that Bond could leave at any time so a new line up could be in order.

Also on the subject of fast bowling would you use them if they were available? For example an attack of;

Shane Bond (Fast)
Ian Butler (fast)
Te Ahu Davis (fast)
James McMillan (fast I think)
Daniel Vettori (spin)

or

Shane Bond
Kyle Mills
Jacob Oram
James Franklin/Jeetan Patel
Daniel Vettori

A four pronged pace attack could be nasty however I doubt it will ever happen *shakes fist at NZ injury curse*

Also what players do you think we should develop? I think we could get more speed out of Franklin, he's tall and has a pretty clean record when it comes to injury IIRC. Accuracy could be an issue though. If his batting was worked on and continues to improve at the same rate as it has been then he will be a better allrounder than Oram. Also Mark Gillespie minus all the pies could be worked with, he can bowl 140kmh consistently if he gets fitter and we can work on his accuracy.

Any other bowlers you'd like to see?

I also have a sneaking suspicion that Patel could well end up better than Vettori....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mark Gillespie really isn't a much better bowler than Shane Watson, who is considered by many to not even bowl at a level acceptable for a test allrounder. And I'm not giving Watson a wrap here, either. They both bowl 140km/h-ish at full fitness, bang the ball in and get minimal movement, and tend to get hit for four whenever they stray just a little in terms of accuracy. Watson's worth the effort considering he has a FC batting average of over 49, but I wouldn't bother with Gillespie as a test option, TBH.

Franklin has a lot of ability and has a pretty good test record so he should be there ahead of Mills, Martin or any other bowler's name you could throw up. McMillan would probably be in the team if he could be relied on to get through the match without going off I reckon, but he can't. Martin should only be played if he has to be, but he's better than Gillespie et al.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The future should be Richard Sherlock and Te Aho Davis. Sherlock is injured nearly as often as Bond, but he is still young and has gone on two A team tours.

Gillespie is a strike bowler and is very enterprising as a tail end bat, but really is only an ODI option. Franklin needs to find some element of consistency. One game he's unplayable and the next, well, he's unplayable in a very different way.

Really, the rest of the options are a bunch of also rans in any conditions over than New Zealand ones. Martin, Tuffey, Aldridge, Butler (post injury) - dreadful really.

In terms of spinners, Robbie Schaw's one to keep an eye on. He's not done too well according to the stats, but he's a decent leggie, and even if he does mildly mediocre in NZ, he's bound to be considerably better outside of NZ. I'd give him a go on the A tour.

thierry henry

International Coach
Gillespie is a big nothing. Bowling 140-145kph (which he only does very occasionally) has little or no worth. It is not express. It will rarely if ever worry international players. As EWS said, it's just Shane Watson pace. James Franklin has bowled over 140kph ftr.

Butler won't be back. Injuries have done for him.

Mills and Franklin, aged 28 and 26, are probably the best bets for the next 5-7 years.

Roneel Hira for spinner :cool:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shane Bond
James Franklin
Jacob Oram
Daniel Vettori
Jeetan Patel

That would be my first choice bowling attack, with Chris Martin or Kyle Mills coming into the side for Jeetan Patel on a seaming wicket. Bond and Franklin are quite clearly our two best Test bowlers, whereas Patel is largely unproven and Vettori is full of class (even though he is incredibly over-rated). With Oram for support, I think that this is the best attack we can field, given how some of our players are rather injury prone.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
I wouldn't give up on Gillespie yet. Sure, I was annoyed by his form in the WC, but it's not as though he was in the best shape. His form in FC & OD cricket has been good in recent years.

Bradley Scott from Otago looks to have a reasonable future.

I know most of you will disagree but I think Adams deserves another go at test level. His form in FC cricket has been excellent in recent seasons.

As much as I doubt Martin, he still deserves his test spot.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Gillespie is a lot better than Watson as a bowler. He actually hits the deck, get some bounce. I haven't had the chance to see him with the red ball, but if he can get one to hold its line he could trouble a lot of batsmen, IMO.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Gillespie is a lot better than Watson as a bowler. He actually hits the deck, get some bounce. I haven't had the chance to see him with the red ball, but if he can get one to hold its line he could trouble a lot of batsmen, IMO.
Watson's main strength as a bowler however is the bounce he gets from even the most unhelpful of pitches and he does hit the deck pretty hard but doing so will nulify any seam movement. He also has a vastly underrated bouncer imo. Watson>>>Gillespie imo.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Watson's main strength as a bowler however is the bounce he gets from even the most unhelpful of pitches and he does hit the deck pretty hard but doing so will nulify any seam movement. He also has a vastly underrated bouncer imo. Watson>>>Gillespie imo.
Watson is not a better bowler than Gillespie. They are extremely similar with Gillespie being marginally better as he gets a little bit more bounce. Nothing much separates them though IMO.