• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future Ashes series to be rescheduled

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hmm. Probably fair enough in all honesty as the current scheduling means the premier ODI comp & the oldest Test series are within a few months of each other. However I'd dispute that it was the schdule that hampered our chances in the WC; it was more the ****eness for mine.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Its just common sense really (especially with our obsession with the Ashes. Keeping the two away from each other will make the WC the highlight of the winter. Some people will say it doesn't hinder Australia - but they are at home. i wonder how the Aussies would like four months away before the WC.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Thing is, they've now rescheduled the Ashes in England to 2014, which will most likely clash directly with the football World Cup. Good job, ECB. :dry:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a great shame we lose The Ashes as a odd-number-year thing. The home part of the reschedule is very much a bad thing.

But the away part is one of the most obvious things in history, and I simply cannot believe it wasn't done years ago. It was suggested during this winter's tour and my only thoughts were "at last!"

Of course, I find it ludicrous to suggest that our prospects in either competition last winter were hampered by the other - we just weren't that good.

But it's always best to have one less thing on the problems-list.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it's going to help the issue of player burnout, then I'm all for it.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Thing is, they've now rescheduled the Ashes in England to 2014, which will most likely clash directly with the football World Cup. Good job, ECB. :dry:
But that's the problem with having the Ashes in even numbered years - it will clash with something. Had they brought it forward to 2012 it would clash with the Olympics - which definately are coming here.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
But that's the problem with having the Ashes in even numbered years - it will clash with something. Had they brought it forward to 2012 it would clash with the Olympics - which definately are coming here.
Then keep the home series when it was and move the series in Australia - either way they're still one and a half, and two and a half years apart.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The WC was moved from the even years so it didn't clash with the Sydney Olympics, and was moved a year forward to go to odd years. Should have kept it on the Olympic years, or moved it to Winter Olympic years, and we wouldn't have this problem.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Then keep the home series when it was and move the series in Australia - either way they're still one and a half, and two and a half years apart.
Exactly. Why on Earth they remotely considered moving the home Ashes from an odd-numbered year I'll never know.

As I say - the away one's been needing moving for years, but to have home Ashes in an even-numbered year is plain madness.

At least if recent series are to be gone by the Euro XXXX \ World Cup will be over by the time it starts.