Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Vaughan is awesome

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar

Michael Vaughan is awesome

I said it several times in the official tour thread, and I tried to convey it without too much going OTT in my day's report, but I've not felt happier about a single player's achievement for a long time. Last time was probably Alec Stewart and that century at Old Trafford on the Saturday in 2002.

It's wonderful not only to see a sportsman conquer an injury which, not once but two or three times, has seemed like it might end his career, but to confound so many doubters from so many angles. I know beyond question that there were quite a few Englishmen (and others, though it's not quite so poor there) who were hoping Vaughan would fail today because they thought his being brought back for this Test sent out bad messages. That refers to people on this forum and elsewhere. Shame on them, TBH. It's far, far better for England that Vaughan comes back, stays fit and re-establishes himself as a class batsman than if he disappears without trace, and far, far fairer on the man, too. No-one deserves to have their career finished by injury, we've seen it happen to Andy Caddick and Craig White in the not-terribly-distant past. I find it wonderful to see it having not happened here.

My only slight disappointment is that Duncan Fletcher was no longer there to share the moment.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

PY
    I'm very happy for the man in his achievement and it was great to watch.

I don't feel that the journey back to 2002 is complete yet though, the attack was pretty average for large chunks of today but it was exactly what he needed after what he's had to go through to get there.

I just hope he can carry on from here and nail India consistently and take his form on tour.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by PY View Post
    You sure? He isn't really from Sheffield you know

Lancs man through and through even if he doesn't know it yet
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

I don't feel that the journey back to 2002 is complete yet though, the attack was pretty average for large chunks of today but it was exactly what he needed after what he's had to go through to get there.

I just hope he can carry on from here and nail India consistently and take his form on tour.
    I certainly don't feel the journey back to 2002 (though as you know, I think his success as an opener there is overstated) is complete, no, not at all. This would not have been an innings of great note if he'd been playing and scoring the last 18 months. But not so long ago the notion that he would play another Test, never mind score another century, was a fairly remote one. Just to do that is wonderful.

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    You sure? He isn't really from Sheffield you know

Lancs man through and through even if he doesn't know it yet
    He'll do, our next biggest celeb is Sean Bean.

Better than Keighley efforts though.

I have to say that I thought he got back into the team too easily but what looks the stronger batting line up?

Strauss
    Cook
    Vaughan
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Bell
    Prior

Strauss
    Cook
    Shah
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Bell
    Prior

For me it's easily the the first one. I sat and watched his innings at Uni today and he looked in very good touch for the most part and was unlucky to get out to what was actually a nice shot.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    He'll do, our next biggest celeb is Sean Bean.

Better than Keighley efforts though.
    Oi...Molly Sugden used to parade her pussy (easy now..I mean cat) around the street of Keighley (or K-town as I have heard some youngsters call it)

anyway..what am I doing sticking up for Keighley

Cricket Spectator
    Not pleasing to me because it was against an average bowling attack and extremely without a doubt sloppy,sloppy fielding. It would have been much harder against a real team like Australia or South Africa. West Indies at this present time should be grouped with associate nations. Scotland ,Holland and the other associate nations are a better grouping for the West Indies. The fielding today by the West Indies on the first day of the second test can't be described better than mediocre.

Hope that injury Sarwan has ain't to bad. GET WELL SOON

U19 12th Man
    OOOH , big achievement , agains the worst bowling attack in the world. Michael Vaughan , hits a hundred. No credit for all the other 5 batsmen who got 100's eh. His ton was a start. But hes got to get more runs. Im holding out in the same fashion for Prior. Lets wait and see. And lets see how he captains.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    So we have Fleming bashers, and now the Vaughan bashers are rearing their ugly heads...Give the man some credit. Average bowlers? To get to international level you have to be pretty damn good, just some bowlers are better than others. It doesn't matter whos bowling, a 100 is good Go watch your soccer or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Vaughan is a hero. He's easily in my top 5 favourite players list, especially after today. Absolutely made up for him. You could tell it meant a lot to the other players as well. Just a great moment all round.

Now there's only Tresco to go until the England top order is reunited.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    So we have Fleming bashers, and now the Vaughan bashers are rearing their ugly heads...Give the man some credit. Average bowlers? To get to international level you have to be pretty damn good, just some bowlers are better than others. It doesn't matter whos bowling, a 100 is good Go watch your soccer or whatever.

Hey he's from Devon, watching soccer would either be an utterly depressing experience, or a long trek to Manchester.

Anyway, it was poor oppo, but I'm made up for Vaughn, showed tons of guts in his early inning, then showed some of the classical shots that makes him one of my favourite players to watch. Shame he didn't go on, he's normally the best England bat for that, but maybe the emotions were too much for him.
    Last edited by grecian; 25-05-2007 at 05:20 PM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Vaughan is a hero. He's easily in my top 5 favourite players list, especially after today. Absolutely made up for him. You could tell it meant a lot to the other players as well. Just a great moment all round.

Sadly it's likely Strauss will be gone by then. And let's face it - unless we play 6 batsmen there's no chance anyway, 'cos Cook is in for the long now and quite rightly.

You were the person I had most in mind with this thread, though.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Who does he replace though?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaalis Gumbs View Post
    West Indies at this present time should be grouped with associate nations. Scotland ,Holland and the other associate nations are a better grouping for the West Indies.
    Huh? You crazy. They're bad, but they're nowhere near that bad.
    The fielding today by the West Indies on the first day of the second test can't be described better than mediocre.
    Yes, but it didn't matter because Vaughan didn't receive any dropped catches.
    Not pleasing to me because it was against an average bowling attack and extremely without a doubt sloppy,sloppy fielding. It would have been much harder against a real team like Australia or South Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bamber View Post
    OOOH , big achievement , agains the worst bowling attack in the world. Michael Vaughan , hits a hundred. No credit for all the other 5 batsmen who got 100's eh. His ton was a start. But hes got to get more runs. Im holding out in the same fashion for Prior. Lets wait and see. And lets see how he captains.
    Not true. All those other centuries, bar Collingwood's which was plain dreadful, got credit. It was always to be reminded that you need to remember it's only West Indies whose attack isn't great, and the same thing applies to Vaughan here - no-one's saying he's suddenly a World-beater. But many people believed that even what he did yesterday was beyond him. And he showed it wasn't. Now, I hope (whenever he next gets the chance, which won't happen for a little while) he can show that it's no longer beyond him to make runs against the better attacks too.

There is a difference, too, between Vaughan and Prior. Vaughan just needed to reassert himself. Prior is still completely unproven.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information