• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Vaughan is awesome

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I said it several times in the official tour thread, and I tried to convey it without too much going OTT in my day's report, but I've not felt happier about a single player's achievement for a long time. Last time was probably Alec Stewart and that century at Old Trafford on the Saturday in 2002.

It's wonderful not only to see a sportsman conquer an injury which, not once but two or three times, has seemed like it might end his career, but to confound so many doubters from so many angles. I know beyond question that there were quite a few Englishmen (and others, though it's not quite so poor there) who were hoping Vaughan would fail today because they thought his being brought back for this Test sent out bad messages. That refers to people on this forum and elsewhere. Shame on them, TBH. It's far, far better for England that Vaughan comes back, stays fit and re-establishes himself as a class batsman than if he disappears without trace, and far, far fairer on the man, too. No-one deserves to have their career finished by injury, we've seen it happen to Andy Caddick and Craig White in the not-terribly-distant past. I find it wonderful to see it having not happened here.

My only slight disappointment is that Duncan Fletcher was no longer there to share the moment.

PY

International Coach
I'm very happy for the man in his achievement and it was great to watch.

I don't feel that the journey back to 2002 is complete yet though, the attack was pretty average for large chunks of today but it was exactly what he needed after what he's had to go through to get there.

I just hope he can carry on from here and nail India consistently and take his form on tour.

Swervy

International Captain
You sure? He isn't really from Sheffield you know ;)

Lancs man through and through even if he doesn't know it yet

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I don't feel that the journey back to 2002 is complete yet though, the attack was pretty average for large chunks of today but it was exactly what he needed after what he's had to go through to get there.

I just hope he can carry on from here and nail India consistently and take his form on tour.
I certainly don't feel the journey back to 2002 (though as you know, I think his success as an opener there is overstated) is complete, no, not at all. This would not have been an innings of great note if he'd been playing and scoring the last 18 months. But not so long ago the notion that he would play another Test, never mind score another century, was a fairly remote one. Just to do that is wonderful.

PY

International Coach
You sure? He isn't really from Sheffield you know ;)

Lancs man through and through even if he doesn't know it yet
He'll do, our next biggest celeb is Sean Bean. :p

Better than Keighley efforts though. ;)

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
I have to say that I thought he got back into the team too easily but what looks the stronger batting line up?

Strauss
Cook
Vaughan
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Prior

Strauss
Cook
Shah
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Prior

For me it's easily the the first one. I sat and watched his innings at Uni today and he looked in very good touch for the most part and was unlucky to get out to what was actually a nice shot.

Swervy

International Captain
He'll do, our next biggest celeb is Sean Bean. :p

Better than Keighley efforts though. ;)
Oi...Molly Sugden used to parade her ***** (easy now..I mean cat) around the street of Keighley (or K-town as I have heard some youngsters call it)

anyway..what am I doing sticking up for Keighley:-O

Khaalis Gumbs

Cricket Spectator
Not pleasing to me because it was against an average bowling attack and extremely without a doubt sloppy,sloppy fielding. It would have been much harder against a real team like Australia or South Africa. West Indies at this present time should be grouped with associate nations. Scotland ,Holland and the other associate nations are a better grouping for the West Indies. The fielding today by the West Indies on the first day of the second test can't be described better than mediocre.:@

Hope that injury Sarwan has ain't to bad. GET WELL SOON:)

Bob Bamber

U19 12th Man
OOOH , big achievement , agains the worst bowling attack in the world. Michael Vaughan , hits a hundred. No credit for all the other 5 batsmen who got 100's eh. His ton was a start. But hes got to get more runs. Im holding out in the same fashion for Prior. Lets wait and see. And lets see how he captains.

Flem274*

123/5
So we have Fleming bashers, and now the Vaughan bashers are rearing their ugly heads...Give the man some credit. Average bowlers? To get to international level you have to be pretty damn good, just some bowlers are better than others. It doesn't matter whos bowling, a 100 is good Go watch your soccer or whatever.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Vaughan is a hero. He's easily in my top 5 favourite players list, especially after today. Absolutely made up for him. You could tell it meant a lot to the other players as well. Just a great moment all round.

Now there's only Tresco to go until the England top order is reunited. ;)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So we have Fleming bashers, and now the Vaughan bashers are rearing their ugly heads...Give the man some credit. Average bowlers? To get to international level you have to be pretty damn good, just some bowlers are better than others. It doesn't matter whos bowling, a 100 is good Go watch your soccer or whatever.

Hey he's from Devon, watching soccer would either be an utterly depressing experience, or a long trek to Manchester.

Anyway, it was poor oppo, but I'm made up for Vaughn, showed tons of guts in his early inning, then showed some of the classical shots that makes him one of my favourite players to watch. Shame he didn't go on, he's normally the best England bat for that, but maybe the emotions were too much for him.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Vaughan is a hero. He's easily in my top 5 favourite players list, especially after today. Absolutely made up for him. You could tell it meant a lot to the other players as well. Just a great moment all round.

Now there's only Tresco to go until the England top order is reunited. ;)
Sadly it's likely Strauss will be gone by then. :( And let's face it - unless we play 6 batsmen there's no chance anyway, 'cos Cook is in for the long now and quite rightly.

You were the person I had most in mind with this thread, though. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
West Indies at this present time should be grouped with associate nations. Scotland ,Holland and the other associate nations are a better grouping for the West Indies.
Huh? You crazy. They're bad, but they're nowhere near that bad.
The fielding today by the West Indies on the first day of the second test can't be described better than mediocre.:@
Yes, but it didn't matter because Vaughan didn't receive any dropped catches.
Not pleasing to me because it was against an average bowling attack and extremely without a doubt sloppy,sloppy fielding. It would have been much harder against a real team like Australia or South Africa.
OOOH , big achievement , agains the worst bowling attack in the world. Michael Vaughan , hits a hundred. No credit for all the other 5 batsmen who got 100's eh. His ton was a start. But hes got to get more runs. Im holding out in the same fashion for Prior. Lets wait and see. And lets see how he captains.
Not true. All those other centuries, bar Collingwood's which was plain dreadful, got credit. It was always to be reminded that you need to remember it's only West Indies whose attack isn't great, and the same thing applies to Vaughan here - no-one's saying he's suddenly a World-beater. But many people believed that even what he did yesterday was beyond him. And he showed it wasn't. Now, I hope (whenever he next gets the chance, which won't happen for a little while) he can show that it's no longer beyond him to make runs against the better attacks too.

There is a difference, too, between Vaughan and Prior. Vaughan just needed to reassert himself. Prior is still completely unproven.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who does he replace though?
Collingwood.

Then you get Trescothick-Strauss-Cook-Vaughan-Pietersen-Bell-wicketkeeper-Flintoff, which is one hell of a unit. And it captures the entire Ashes-winning line-up again - which, whatever anyone says, would be nice.

Unfortunately, Strauss right now is not looking up to the job, so it's much more likely to be Trescothick-Cook-Vaughan-Pietersen-Collingwood-Bell-wicketkeeper-Flintoff.

Fiery

Banned
I suspect you started this thread as a reaction to Boy Bamber's thread Rich. If not, then I think you're getting a bit carried away with your opening post tbh

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The good thing was that the ton was chanceless, even tho he did get done by a slower ball and edge a few others. But it was against a rubbish attack, with no pace in the pitch and the ball wasn't doing anything. The only time there was even remotely a contest between bat and ball was towards the end with Collymore, if you took out that spell and faced the stuff earlier on you'd be looking at a 500+ score nearly every time - or 50s/100s galore for the top 6/7.

Even if Vaughan continues to fill his boots his problem will be when he comes up against genuine pace - last time that happened he kept getting bowled by a fairly average Test bowler.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
wake up!

When Vaughnies in touch he's insaciouble to watch, sheer class.

is touch is incredible. shame he caught the captains disease aswell but he is most probably the best captain to ever grace this country, as long as he has the players respect which all captains should have.

Strauss came into the side at no.3 and was our best player, Vaughny was a much better opener so the switch seems logical. also you would have thought as a captain opening straight away would let him be able to get on with the job rather than try and think for the team and have to come in early after losing a quick wicket and try and rescue the team.

3s the hardest position mentally to bat in so how can you expect him to cope with both? most good batting no3 captains are lousy captains. no wonder he looks nervy. and Strauss relished that role, he was born in the harsh Namib desert, he's made of steel (tough stuff).

also our bowling at the moment is woefull at best. Im delighted when a ball actually lands on the pitch. However well England bat it won't make a difference if both teams keep throwing down pies. right now there is not much between WI and ENG and its really P E ing me off that we start off making runs and everyone thinks we're steamrolling it and WI are uselless. What kind of hope can we have if our batsmen can't even feel confident at declaring for 300 ahead?

Bring back Frasier and Goughy anyday! any side would be lucky to win it at this rate. well worth a bett on DRAW DRAW DRAW...