Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 131
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Michael Vaughan is awesome

  1. #61
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    What the hell? Multiple dropped catches happen to everyone. You don't have an argument because you're using Richard's rhetoric which is wishy-washy bollocks. You haven't shown Collingwood to be more lucky than anyone else, so you do not have an argument.
    Multiple dropped catches don't happen to everyone (unless you're talking whole careers). You continually bemoan Plunkett being "luckless" whenever a catch is dropped, goes through the slips, or whatever (which I happen to agree with, because at Test level, drops aren't that common).
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

    R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    That was a good innings, it's other innings that weren't.

    How many times was he dropped when he scored 96 and 80 v Pakistan? Or his 134*? I can find one drop in his 186. Found one drop (very tough chance) in his 96.

    Your argument is baseless.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

  3. #63
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,989
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    How many times was Collingwood dropped during his double century then?
    He wasn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Multiple dropped catches don't happen to everyone (unless you're talking whole careers). You continually bemoan Plunkett being "luckless" whenever a catch is dropped, goes through the slips, or whatever (which I happen to agree with, because at Test level, drops aren't that common).
    They'll practically happen to everyone. The last series I watched Bell was dropped twice v Australia and he only made a fifty, KP was dropped god knows how many times against Australia in the last Test.


  5. #65
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    How many times was he dropped when he scored 96 and 80 v Pakistan? Or his 134*? I can find one drop in his 186. Found one drop (very tough chance) in his 96.

    Your argument is baseless.
    Not only drops, given inexplicably not out caught behind in his 186 to Mohammad Sami.

    Shall search other innings if I can be particularly bothered.

  6. #66
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,718
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    They'll practically happen to everyone. The last series I watched Bell was dropped twice v Australia and he only made a fifty, KP was dropped god knows how many times against Australia in the last Test.
    Over time, yes, and I think it is fairly pointless tryng to say "X has been luckier than Y" over 100 Tests. And if Collingwood plays 100 Tests and ends up averaging mid-40s then fair play to him, but I don't think it will happen.

  7. #67
    International Captain Piper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    How many times was Collingwood dropped during his double century then?
    Everyone has their luck.. Doesn't mean that their innings was bad. I can't remember a player who went on to make a century not having luck during their innings.
    February 10th 2009 <3
    Rest In Peace Fardin
    Rest In Peace Sazza

  8. #68
    Hall of Fame Member TT Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    17,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    They'll practically happen to everyone. The last series I watched Bell was dropped twice v Australia and he only made a fifty, KP was dropped god knows how many times against Australia in the last Test.
    It's not a KP ton if it doesn't feature multiple lifes or no ball stumpings of the bowling of Chris Gayle...
    Last edited by TT Boy; 27-05-2007 at 02:04 PM.

  9. #69
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    Crackpot, lunatic, nutcase, fruitcake. None of them can do you justice.
    Haha. In the past, you say...

    I'll see what happens if I report this post, out of interest...
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  10. #70
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Richard's efforts at producing first-chance averages actually suggest that some batsmen ARE in fact, for whatever reason, consistently lucky. And if that's the case, that's a good attribute to have.
    It's always a case of has been, though. As Rob says, no-one can have luck pre-guranteed to them, regardless of how long they've been being lucky for.

    Someone like Virender Sehwag, for instance, has actually had his luck dry-up of late (or maybe it's just that he hasn't faced Pakistan for a while...). Let's hope it's permanent - Trescothick, too, had his luck dry-up for a time, but it returned with a vengence in summer 2005.
    Last edited by Richard; 27-05-2007 at 04:26 PM.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  11. #71
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    But what some people here assert is that some batsmen have been consistently lucky throughout their careers. So I ask, if you think some people are consistently more lucky than the norm over a decent period of time - thus suggesting you don't think these things "even themselves out" -on what basis do you say, "they'll soon stop being so lucky"? The long career of unreasonable "luck" they've enjoyed would suggest otherwise actually.

    I'm not seriously suggesting that some people are charmed and will be lucky indefinitely. What I'm saying is that labelling someone "lucky" is a generally meaningless and hideously overused puerile excuse proffered up when people dislike either the technique or sometimes even the personality of players who succeed and they can't supply proper argument as to why that player is not good that has not been disproved by the facts. Player A averages 12 runs more per innings than Player B, but you want to believe Player B is better? Player A must be lucky - cheating bastard that he is. A bowler you think is not equipped to succeed at Test level consistently takes wickets? Must be lucky.

    Somebody can be lucky over a short period, but to suggest that success over the course of more than two or three innings can be solely, or even in large part, put down to luck is insulting to the player in question's ability and the intelligence of those of us reading it.

    You might as well not say anything at all if that's the best you can come up with...
    I'm not saying that sort of thing doesn't get said sometimes by some people. But I'd hope you know better than to suggest I'd ever do such a thing.

    If someone is consistently lucky, I'll say he is. And I'll form my judgement on that, not form my judgement then say "he's lucky" because his luck has made my judgement appear incorrect.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  12. #72
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Not only drops, given inexplicably not out caught behind in his 186 to Mohammad Sami.

    Shall search other innings if I can be particularly bothered.
    I'll do it for you...

    Lahore 2005\06 - 2 let-offs in the first-innings 96, on 54 and 70-odd; possibly may have been one in the second-innings 80 too, but not absolutely certain

    Lord's 2006 - three let-offs in 186

    Lord's 2007 - three let-offs in 111

    So given that those innings are not what they seem, he's played 2 excellent innings in Australia, one at Nagpur, and done virtually nothing else of note in his entire Test career.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  13. #73
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    62,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Haha. In the past, you say...

    I'll see what happens if I report this post, out of interest...
    Judging by what you still get away with, nothing should.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  14. #74
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    If you only knew...
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

  15. #75
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    62,976
    Judging by the way you carry on, I doubt if you do.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Vaughan eyes third Test comeback
    By chaminda_00 in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-11-2006, 09:13 PM
  2. Vaughan to score an ODI ton before his 100th ODI?
    By Scaly piscine in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 303
    Last Post: 13-07-2005, 06:24 AM
  3. Surrey 2002: A Cricket Captain Diary
    By SIX AND OUT in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 08:25 AM
  4. Road to the Top : Episode I
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 25-12-2004, 03:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •