• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Vaughan is awesome

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
One of my favourite players. Love watching him bat - great to see him back. Just makes me all the more angry that Foxtel didn't show it live, mind...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Richard said:
No-one's saying he's suddenly a World-beater. But many people believed that even what he did yesterday was beyond him.
Which is exactly what my big fat Prior rant in the official thread was about after his ton, Richard.

R_D

International Debutant
Good for Vaughan .. this should give him a good confidence boost. Its very pleasing to see a player come back from injury and do well. He's a good player to watch when on song.

Who cares about bowling.. its a good achievment on his return.

R_D

International Debutant
Collingwood.

Then you get Trescothick-Strauss-Cook-Vaughan-Pietersen-Bell-wicketkeeper-Flintoff, which is one hell of a unit. And it captures the entire Ashes-winning line-up again - which, whatever anyone says, would be nice.

Unfortunately, Strauss right now is not looking up to the job, so it's much more likely to be Trescothick-Cook-Vaughan-Pietersen-Collingwood-Bell-wicketkeeper-Flintoff.
I don'r get it. Why would you want Collingwood to go, hasn't he been the most consistent English batsman in past year or so. If anyone its Strauss who's been pretty medicore throughout. Collingwood may not have the all-round strokes but he makes for with his dtermination and will to fight. He's not pretty to watch but one of the few english batsman that are likeable really.

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
I care about bowling! if we wanna win a ph,ing test match!

give me the proof doc...

i remember him at 3 when he came into the side on the SA tour (part of the massive winning Ashes build up run) due to injury. Then got moved up to opener. He was invincible at 3

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I care about bowling! if we wanna win a ph,ing test match!

give me the proof doc...

i remember him at 3 when he came into the side on the SA tour (part of the massive winning Ashes build up run) due to injury. Then got moved up to opener. He was invincible at 3
Haha, this is ridiculous. If he batted three, dig up the scorecard on StatsGuru instead of just stating it over and over - it didn't happen.

You'll have problems though because it specifically says that all his innings have been opening.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Collingwood.

Then you get Trescothick-Strauss-Cook-Vaughan-Pietersen-Bell-wicketkeeper-Flintoff, which is one hell of a unit. And it captures the entire Ashes-winning line-up again - which, whatever anyone says, would be nice.

Unfortunately, Strauss right now is not looking up to the job, so it's much more likely to be Trescothick-Cook-Vaughan-Pietersen-Collingwood-Bell-wicketkeeper-Flintoff.
tbf, Collingwood > Strauss on everything since 2005. And (a fit) Tresco-Cook-Vaughan-Pietersen-Collingwood-Bell is better than Strauss-Tresco-Cook-Vaughan-Pietersen-Bell.

Collingwood is also > Bell atm...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don'r get it. Why would you want Collingwood to go, hasn't he been the most consistent English batsman in past year or so. If anyone its Strauss who's been pretty medicore throughout. Collingwood may not have the all-round strokes but he makes for with his dtermination and will to fight. He's not pretty to watch but one of the few english batsman that are likeable really.

It's Richardism #30852498492. Collingwood can continue to be consistently one of England's better batsman, chip in with overs, be a miles better fielder than most others but it won't make an iota of difference to Richard, because his snap judgement a while ago is obviously faultless and so unquestionable.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ahhh...Vaughan is my favourite batsman in the world to watch when on-song. Good to see him back, hopefully he can continue it and I get to see a few more big innings from him. If Fox will show them, of course.

Kriketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
To be frank, England is better off with a player like Ravi Bopara than M. Vaughan. At first he's so injury-prone and second he's pretty inconsistant. He should take retirement.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Since 1 January 2006:

Strauss M-16 R-1141 HS-128 AVG-38.03 100s-3 50s-3
Collingwood M-16 R-1310 HS-206 AVG-50.38 100s-4 50s-2
Bell M-13 R- 949 HS- 119 AVG-45.19 100s- 4 50s-5

England have played against one really good attack in that time, Australia - where Collingwood averaged 48 and Strauss averaged 24, and Bell 33.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Collingwood looks pretty dire when he's out there most of the time, which creates the illusion of him being a poor player. Even a good judge like Richard who usually doesn't fall into such traps is fooled it seems. I don't see why Collingwood's place comes under question when you consider how badly Strauss has been going in the past few series, really. Bell has the potential to be world class so I can see why he's ahead of him despite poor numbers, but Strauss - as much as I don't think he's as useless as quite a few people seem to - certainly should not be ahead of Collingwood in the pecking order at this stage.

pasag

RTDAS
As I said in the official thread, he's a champion. It wasn't the best knock ever, probably not even in the series, the attack was weak but that doesn't change the fact that he went out there, overcame a whole heap of adversity and got a Test match century when everyone was expecting him to fail. It's these intangibles that make the sport so great and is something statistics can never ever begin to represent and describe, let alone do justice to the magnitude of a feat or career.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I have to lend my voice to those backing Collingwood. He's not the prettiest of batsmen but he's easily done enough to warrant his place in the team, and his attitude always seems to be top notch as well.

My idea of the pecking order for the batting lineup currently would be as follows:

Pietersen
Cook
Vaughan
Collingwood
Bell
Strauss

When Trescothick is ready to come back in, he has to slot in for Strauss for my money, and if Joyce, Shah or any of the other viable batting prospects start milking runs at county level, Bell will need to be on top of his game to keep his place.

1-9-7-7

International Regular
As the name of thread says, Michael Vaughan is awesome.
I hope that he can go for a good year or so without injury problems and see if he can regain the for he once had. Watching him and the rest of England win the ashes a few years ago got me into the sport.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I suspect you started this thread as a reaction to Boy Bamber's thread Rich. If not, then I think you're getting a bit carried away with your opening post tbh
I doubt I'd have posted that but for Bob Bamber's thread, but no, I'd have felt what I said in it regardless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even if Vaughan continues to fill his boots his problem will be when he comes up against genuine pace - last time that happened he kept getting bowled by a fairly average Test bowler.
He actually kept getting bowled by several bowlers, only one of whom was especially quick and that pace was not what was causing the problems...