• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bill Johnston died

Fiery

Banned
Bill Johnston passed away yesterday. Obviously held in high regard by his peers...
Anyone got any stories or thoughts to share about this top cricketer in his remembrance?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I must admit I'd hardly heard of him until I really looked in detail at that great Australian team of the time...I find that ridiculous that I hadn't been able to hear about this obviously great bowler until then. Hugely underrated.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, he was a fantastic bowler, no doubts about that. But that was the whole thing about him - he was the "quiet" type of bowler, it was Lindwall and Miller who took the limelight. He was one who did the job unobtrusively.

cover drive man

International Captain
Oh, he was a fantastic bowler, no doubts about that. But that was the whole thing about him - he was the "quiet" type of bowler, it was Lindwall and Miller who took the limelight. He was one who did the job unobtrusively.
I think that kumble is like that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In a way, yes, though Kumble has been the main man (in the subcontinent) in his attack most of his career. Johnstone was sort of more the first mate to Lindwall and Miller's joint captain.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah, players like Lindwall and Davidson really rated him very highly. Was a stalwart member of the Aussie attack for several years.

In terms of stories, he achieved the apparently extremely unlikey feat, given his 'cheerful' but largey insubstantial batting, of finishing the 1953 tour of England with a batting average of 102, after freakishly managing to be dismissed only once for the entire tour. In the last tour match, Hassett declared early especially to prevent him having to bat again and risk having his average reduced to "only" 50-odd...

Craig

World Traveller
Yeah, players like Lindwall and Davidson really rated him very highly. Was a stalwart member of the Aussie attack for several years.

In terms of stories, he achieved the apparently extremely unlikey feat, given his 'cheerful' but largey insubstantial batting, of finishing the 1953 tour of England with a batting average of 102, after freakishly managing to be dismissed only once for the entire tour. In the last tour match, Hassett declared early especially to prevent him having to bat again and risk having his average reduced to "only" 50-odd...
Haha that is a gun effort by Johnston.

I love stories like that.

archie mac

International Coach

Great story this; also in a couple of earlier innings on this tour, he went to the wicket with a note from his captain asking his opposite number not to get him out!

A great Richmond boy will be sadly missed:(

Matt79

Global Moderator
Averaging over 100 on a tour is a fair effort when your career high score in FC cricket is only 32...

archie mac

International Coach
Averaging over 100 on a tour is a fair effort when your career high score in FC cricket is only 32...

True, but he was not the worst; with Doug Ring another Richmond boy they guided Aust. to a one wicket win over the Windies

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eeek, a rolleyes from Sean, I never thought...

But the fact that that Bangladesh Gillespie game was classed Test is obviously an infinately bigger assault on Test cricket's integrity than that crazy partnership in the New Zealand game.