• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The First Family

archie mac

International Coach
Who would be the first family of each of the Test nations, and which would then be considered the first family of cricket?

I have made a few suggestions for some of the countries:)

Aust= The Chappells (including Vic Richardson)?

England= The Graces?

New Zealand= The Hadlees?

Sth Afr= Pollocks?

India=?

Pakistan?

Sri Lanka=?

West Indies=?

1st Family of Cricket=?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Mohammed's for Pakistan, wasn't there 5 brothers that represented them?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The Obuya brothers for Kenya. Joyce brothers and sister for Ireland. The Burger guys for Namibia.

Im pretty sure Ajuna Rantunga had two bothers that played for Sri Lanka.

archie mac

International Coach
The Obuya brothers for Kenya. Joyce brothers and sister for Ireland. The Burger guys for Namibia.

Im pretty sure Ajuna Rantunga had two bothers that played for Sri Lanka.
The brothers Rantunga would be hard to beat, was not sure with some of the Sri Lankan boys with the same last name, as to them being related?:unsure:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The brothers Rantunga would be hard to beat, was not sure with some of the Sri Lankan boys with the same last name, as to them being related?:unsure:
Actually all four brother played for Sri Lanka, no one from Sri Lanka could beat that. Most the guys with the same last name are just like all the Smiths' that played England and Australia.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
India - It would be Ranji Family with Ranjit Sinji, Duleep Sinji, Hanumant Singh and even Ajay Jadeja (a distant relative of Duleep Sinji)

Pakistan - Mohammads(Hanif, Mushtaq, Sadiq, Shoaib)

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

India - It would be Ranji Family with Ranjit Sinji, Duleep Sinji, Hanumant Singh and even Ajay Jadeja (a distant relative of Duleep Sinji)

Pakistan - Mohammads(Hanif, Mushtaq, Sadiq, Shoaib)
Isn't Ajay Jadeja's full name Ajay Sinji Daulat Sinji Jadeja?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, I can't really think of many other Indians. Gavaskar and his son, but the son never made it permnantly into the national side.

Chubb

International Regular
Zimbabwe have so many cricketing families, the Flowers, Rennies, Grippers, Ervines, Whittalls... Flowers are certainly statistically top of the pile.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I can't really think of many other Indians. Gavaskar and his son, but the son never made it permnantly into the national side.
Actually there are some others, Now I that gave some though to it :-

Amarnath Family - Lala, Surinder, Rajinder and Mohinder Amarnath

Manjrekar Family - Vijay and Sanjay Manjrekar

Pataudis - Iftikhar and Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Also in Pakistan

Khan Family :- Jahangir Khan, Javed Burki, Imran Khan, Majid Khan and now Bazid Khan.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Madhav Mantri, Gavaskar's Uncle (His mom's brother I guess) played for India, Gundappa Vishwanath is his brother-in-law and then there is this prodigy Rohan gavaskar.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
For England another one could be Butcher (Stewart) family.

Mark Butcher (England player) had a father that player for England (Alan Butcher), 2 uncles (Martin and Ian) that played FC cricket and a brother Gary that also played FC cricket.

Butcher WAS married to Judy Stewart (the sister of Alec Stewart). Alec played many times for England and his father ( Micky Stewart) also repesented England and was England cricket coach.

With Mark marrying Judy it brought together 4 England players and 3 other FC players into the same family.