• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The First Family

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
For the West Indies, Pedro Collins and Fidel Edwards are brothers. Not really sure of any others.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
No doubt it would be the Hadlees for NZ. Father Walter captained NZ and was chairman of the NZ Cricket Council, Sir Richard doesn't need any introduction, and neither does Dayle really. Their brother Barry played two ODIs, and Richard's wife Karen played for NZ.

Runners-up? The Crowes - father Dave played first-class cricket along with his two test-playing sons; father Lance and son Chris Cairns; father John and son Richard Reid.

archie mac

International Coach
I was just thinking for the Aust. first family the Greogry clan

Dave and Ned in the first Test side (brothers)

Ned had a son Syd who still holds the record for Aust of most Tests against England (52 I think)

Syd was an uncle of Jack Gregory a great AR and still holds the record for the fastest ton (in time)

There was another member (I can't think of his first name) who scored a triple century in a SS match, I think his first name began with an 'E':unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
For England another one could be Butcher (Stewart) family.

Mark Butcher (England player) had a father that player for England (Alan Butcher), 2 uncles (Martin and Ian) that played FC cricket and a brother Gary that also played FC cricket.

Butcher WAS married to Judy Stewart (the sister of Alec Stewart). Alec played many times for England and his father ( Micky Stewart) also repesented England and was England cricket coach.

With Mark marrying Judy it brought together 4 England players and 3 other FC players into the same family.
And I'm so, so sure there was another instance of such a thing. But I can't remember who it was.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And I'm so, so sure there was another instance of such a thing. But I can't remember who it was.
Me neither. Perhaps the Edrich clan should get an honourable mention.
Or the Sidebottoms :laugh:
Obviously there were a few Cowdreys. And Huttons.

There were a couple of brothers back in the 1920's (I think) who both had reasonable test records. Can't remember their names though.

WI is a tough one to call. George Headley's son played for them in the early 1970's. Unfortunately for this particular thread Dean then played for us.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No doubt it would be the Hadlees for NZ. Father Walter captained NZ and was chairman of the NZ Cricket Council, Sir Richard doesn't need any introduction, and neither does Dayle really. Their brother Barry played two ODIs, and Richard's wife Karen played for NZ.

Runners-up? The Crowes - father Dave played first-class cricket along with his two test-playing sons; father Lance and son Chris Cairns; father John and son Richard Reid.
How about the Marshalls? ;)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Actually all four brother played for Sri Lanka, no one from Sri Lanka could beat that. Most the guys with the same last name are just like all the Smiths' that played England and Australia.
the 4 brothers were Arjuna, Dhammika , Sanjeeva and Nishantha.

I am pretty sure 3 of them played in 1 game (Arjuna, Dhammika and Sanjeeva) -possibly an ODI or an Unofficial game of some sort.

But Before and Just after Test status 3 Wettimuny's played for Sri Lanka and in terms of batting ability and genuine cricketing talent, the Wettimuny's were equally matched (among the siblings), whereas of the Ranatunga's , Arjuna was awesome talent and the others just made it into the Team with some talent but more being under his shadow, and because Arjuna had so much clout, he managed to push their selection.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Most Brothers to play Test Cricket has to be De Silva's :)

Aravinda (PA) De Silva, DS (Somachandra) De Silva, (GRA)Ajith De Silva, DLS (Stanley) De Silva, (LPC) Chamara Silva, (SAR) Amal Silva,EAR De Silva (Asoka - now Test Umpire) , Lanka De Silva, Ranjan De Silva,Anura De Silva

Swervy

International Captain
Most Brothers to play Test Cricket has to be De Silva's :)

Aravinda (PA) De Silva, DS (Somachandra) De Silva, (GRA)Ajith De Silva, DLS (Stanley) De Silva, (LPC) Chamara Silva, (SAR) Amal Silva,EAR De Silva (Asoka - now Test Umpire) , Lanka De Silva, Ranjan De Silva,Anura De Silva
oh you forget about the Smith brothers, Ian, Robin, Devon, Graeme etc

Note Graeme and Devon are identical twins:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
oh you forget about the Smith brothers, Ian, Robin, Devon, Graeme etc

Note Graeme and Devon are identical twins:)
Nah, the Lloyd brothers David and Clive... not to mention the Fletchers Keith and Duncan who have both played for and coached England.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
How about the Flemings - Damien (for Australia), Steven (Captain NZ):laugh:

or the Gillespies - Jason (Australia) , Mark (NZ) :laugh:

or the Taylors

Mark (Tubby) Taylor -Australia, Peter Taylor (former Test spinner OZ), Bob Taylor (Wicket Keeper-England) , Ross Taylor (now playing NZ) ....:laugh:

jeevan

International 12th Man
In India: The Amarnaths are worth a mention.
Lala Amarnath was apparently quite an all rounder (the type we need today),
think his captaincy was OK too.
Son Mohnder was definitely quite an all rounder we could use today.(next to Kapil of course).
Son Surender was briefly in the test team for a couple of years.