Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The 10 players who will "define" cricket in the next decade

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

It depends how you look upon "talent". I've always had a rather broader brush for the word than most. Boycott's ability to play the right shot time after time doesn't just happen with hard work, you need quite some natural ability.

It'd be very interesting indeed to see how the two of them would fare in the 1990s (a time neither played) when a weak bowling-attack was fairly rare. It'd also be interesting to see how Pietersen would have fared against some of the strong attacks Boycott faced. Pietersen has undoubtedly faced, and scored runs against, some excellent bowlers (be they Warne, Clark or Muralitharan) but he's also gorged himself on some nonsense (and some abysmal catching), to a far greater extent than Boycott ever had the chance to. If Boycott played right now, he might well average 60 or even more. Unless, of course, he were to be dropped for slow scoring again.
    Boycott missed out on playing Australia in their fast bowling pomp in the 70s, the only really good attack he faced was the early 80s WI attack, and he did OK, nothing more.

Of all of Englands test players of th elast 50 years, no player has as much mythology around him as Boycott. You have to bear that in mind when looking at him as a batsman. As I say, a great opener, but not as high up the rankings IMO as you put him

I would be confident that KP would have gotten into any England line up of the 60s or 70s, Boycott might in fact, due to his style of play, not have gotten into the current England test team
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Quote Originally Posted by DireWindies View Post
    Richard is actually right about this one.

Boycott was indeed a superior test batsman to Peitersen.

care to elaborate?

State Vice-Captain Spitfires_Fan's Avatar
    Forgot to add Ryan Sidebottom to the list...

No?

International 12th Man
    Yes, and?

On the KP vs Boycs debate, obviously one cannot class Pietersen in Boycotts class at present. I would say however that barring injury, Pietersen will come to be regarded as a better batsman than Boycott when it is all said and done. I think he has enough talent to sink a battleship and we habven't even seen the best of him yet in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    The list is looking forwards though... proabably only Clarke and maybe Malinga/Asif are really top players atm.
    The guy who's ranked 3 in test & 1 in ODI batting isn't then?!
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Boycs was the most over-rated player ever, Imo.

Utterly dire to watch, and the worse team man in the world ever.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

International 12th Man
    And I looked up de Villiers' on cricinfo and was suprised that his average was only 35.14 in Tests, actually lower than his ODI average. He hasn't made a century for over 2 years (18 matches) and not reached fifty in his last 7 Tests either. Very odd since I think he is a good prospect but is the honeymoon period over? Has he been found out at international level? I genuinly don't know as I haven't really seen much of him since the England tour of SA a few years back and of him in the World Cup where he had a few excewllent innings.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    Boycott missed out on playing Australia in their fast bowling pomp in the 70s, the only really good attack he faced was the early 80s WI attack, and he did OK, nothing more.
    Given that he was nearly 40 at the time, that was no mean feat, was it? Imagine if he'd been given the captaincy in 1973 and not missed those prime years against the Lillees, Thommos, Robertses and Holdings in 1975 and 1976.
    Of all of Englands test players of th elast 50 years, no player has as much mythology around him as Boycott. You have to bear that in mind when looking at him as a batsman. As I say, a great opener, but not as high up the rankings IMO as you put him

I would be confident that KP would have gotten into any England line up of the 60s or 70s, Boycott might in fact, due to his style of play, not have gotten into the current England test team
    Who's been a better batsman for England since the Hutton-Washbrook-Edrich-Compton-May-Cowdrey-Barrington-Dexter-Graveney days then?

Intreguingly, another SAfrican who has so much in common with Pietersen might be the only man... if he'd been spotted 10 years earlier. Sadly, Basil D'Oliveira's career was much of a what-could-have-been.

There have been plenty of fine batsmen in that time... John Edrich, Amiss, Gooch (though again his sensational finish can overshadow the fact that he was no more than good for most of his career - and he's one of my favourite cricketers of all, given that said ending was the time when I was starting to watch the game), Gatting (in the middle phase of his career), Gower, Lamb, Atherton, Stewart, Thorpe... Vaughan even.

But surely none of those names are really in Boycott's league?

Alastair Cook, however... he just might be. And if he can get into the team... Boycott could. You don't go around averaging nearly 60 in domestic cricket and get shunned just because you don't score all that fast.
    Last edited by Richard; 23-05-2007 at 05:38 PM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by pskov View Post
    Yes, and?
    And that's a perfectly decent record with the bat. It's only with the ball that he's come close to going off the boil, and it's hardly a catalogue of games.

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Boycs was the most over-rated player ever, Imo.

Utterly dire to watch, and the worse team man in the world ever.
    No-one has claimed he was good to watch, just that he was capable of scoring lots, and lots, and lots, of runs.

And the tales of his non-team-man-ness are almost as exaggerated as those of Hussain's.

No-one has claimed he was good to watch, just that he was capable of scoring lots, and lots, and lots, of runs.

And the tales of his non-team-man-ness are almost as exaggerated as those of Hussain's.

Watched him lots, never thought Nasser was a bad team man, always thought boycs was.

Btw, I actually agree Boycott is the best English batsmen since Cowdrey, excluding current protagonists. Yet that just proves what a moribund bunch of losers and under-achievers we've had since then. Yes, they all had their good spells, but none sustained it enough to have excellence pronounced upon them.

I actually think it shows that England is by-and-large a very difficult place to bat and has become enormously easier in the last 5 seasons. To suggest that Trescothick, Strauss and Collingwood are remotely in the class of Atherton, Hussain and Stewart is laughable IMO.

I actually think it shows that England is by-and-large a very difficult place to bat and has become enormously easier in the last 5 seasons.
    Well, are there any stats to back this up, I always seem to remember the oppos scoring a lot of runs against us in that time, and us being a lot better by bowling the oppo out in this time.

That's because we're a better team now, then we were then, I'd of thought.

Stats aren't the be-all-and-end-all. You simply have to watch, and read, and listen - virtually everyone has said that the ball change from 2000 to 2001 changed everything - the new ones swung far, far less. And that a year later seam-friendly pitches became considerably rarer.

Anyway, though, if you want statistics, how's this: batsmen hit 118 more First-Class centuries in 2001 than the previous year and twice the number of double-centuries. And things got even more pronounced the following 2 years.

As for opposition scoring runs against us in the previous years - you might want to take a look at the times we actually had decent bowling-attacks on show in, say, the 1970s, 80s and 90s. Because on those occasions, they didn't. Only when he had Martin McCagues, Joseph Benjamins and Mark Illotts (and any number of others) on the field did oppos scoring runs against us become a problem. And you might want to note the number of runs scored against us in the last 5 years, too - which has also increased manifestly.

The good batsmen of the 1990s were better than those of the 2000s. It's not rocket-science.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    The guy who's ranked 3 in test & 1 in ODI batting isn't then?!
    Yep, sorry, I missed KP by accident.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information