Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 10 players who will "define" cricket in the next decade

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Kevin Pietersen (Eng) - England's best ever batting prospect.
    Haha, noooooooooooooooooooo. 'Fraid not. There have been many magnificent players to play for England. That Pietersen should top them all is little short of unthinkable.
    Dwayne Bravo (WI) - Promising batsman, but should not be on the list.
    Umm, rather promising bowler too, no?
    Ross Taylor (NZ) - Fantastic prospect, could bring New Zealand to World domination.
    Haha, WTF? One player can do such?
    Mohammad Ashraful (Ban) - May lift Bangladesh off the top of the foot of the ODI and Test tables with his match winning innings'.
    Just... no. There are a few who might possibly do that - he is not one of them.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I will take Raina, Watson, Bravo out of that list and instead add Cook, Monty and Tharanga.

Cook, is the most notable exclusion. The blokes got everything to become top-class for many years to come.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Hmm. I was gonna make the same point about Englishmen tbh.

Seriously tho, no Monty is a slight surprise. Regardless of his qualities as a player (and I'm a fan), he is definitely box office.
    Just occurred to me, actually... Ashraful ahead of Cook? Or de Villiers? Or any multitude of others who don't have lengthy Test careers as failures, really? Including his own team-mate Shahriar Nafees Ahmed.

They're mad.

Yes, if I am to be fairly biased for a moment, would perhaps add Panesar and Cook to that list. In terms of KP, he has the potential to be Englands finest batsman for a very long time. Admittedly longevity is the key to become a legend, and all the signs are good for him to achieve that. The appetite seems good.

Of some of the other selections, it is difficult to suggest who will "define" cricket in the next decade. At this moment in time, I would remain sceptical over Suresh Raina, Shane Watson, Mohammad Ashraful and Dwayne Bravo. The rest of the selection I would say will have a far bigger say on world cricket than the aforementioned.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Just occurred to me, actually... Ashraful ahead of Cook? Or de Villiers? Or any multitude of others who don't have lengthy Test careers as failures, really? Including his own team-mate Shahriar Nafees Ahmed.

They're mad.
    That's it, De Villiers!

Sorry, it'd been bugging me which SAfrican should be on there. Obviously there's a spread of countries to make it more appealing to everyone. I don't think it's the worst list ever though.

Clarke, Watson, Pietersen, Asif (obviously), Maaaalinga, and probably Bravo and Taylor, are all quite fair enough. In that sense it's not the worst list ever. Tait is certainly quite possible, and Raina not totally far-fetched. But the inclusion of Ashraful really undermines the credulity IMO, even more so when it's ahead of Shahriar Nafees Ahmed.

[QUOTE=Richard;1203109]Haha, noooooooooooooooooooo. 'Fraid not. There have been many magnificent players to play for England. That Pietersen should top them all is little short of unthinkable.[QUOTE]

In 45 ODI innings he averages 56 at a strike rate of 91. In his weaker suit, the test game, he averages 50. Not been matched by anyone in recent history I dont believe.

Handy, yes, promising, not in my opinion.

Haha, WTF? One player can do such?
    Sorry, should have put help in there.

Just... no. There are a few who might possibly do that - he is not one of them.
    He is a match winner, something that Bangladesh do not have in the batting department currently.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    In 45 ODI innings he averages 56 at a strike rate of 91. In his weaker suit, the test game, he averages 50. Not been matched by anyone in recent history I dont believe.
    Oh, in ODIs he's undoubtedly got the potential to outdo most everyone. But in Tests? No way. He'll be good, very probably, yes, but not better than anyone else has ever been.
    Handy, yes, promising, not in my opinion.
    IMO he's one of the most promising bowlers to come out of West Indies for many a year.
    He is a match winner, something that Bangladesh do not have in the batting department currently.
    If he's a matchwinner, so is the perennial Geoff Boycott's Mum.

And I'll say it again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee
    Sachin Tendulkar - No ODI hundreds against England.

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks

That is all.
    if only that was the case!!!
    rave down, hit the ground

MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Haha, noooooooooooooooooooo. 'Fraid not. There have been many magnificent players to play for England. That Pietersen should top them all is little short of unthinkable.
    There hasnt been a more talented batsman that has played for England certainly in my lifetime....the fact that he is averaging 50 in his 2 year test career, and it is quite possible that we havent seen anywhere near all of his potential says a hell of a lot about his talent

Injury permitting, there is no reason why he shouldnt be averaging over 50 (maybe well over 50 in fact) for a good 120 test career.

And I'll say it again...

What relevance does that Tendulkar hundred have to anything?

IMO he's one of the most promising bowlers to come out of West Indies for many a year.
    Well, lets see if your right. Flintoff is out of the Leeds test so I will make Bravo my skipper and all rounder

Yes he is, but how can he redefine cricket in a team that is set to lose alot of its matches in the next few years? I dont think he can.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information