• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ten Best Cricketers Of All Time

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
3. Warne
4. Hadlee
5. Maclom Marshall
6. Lara
7. Richards
8. Hobbs
9. Lillee
10. Joel Garner

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
Nice list, Garner might be surprised himself though
I just think hes criminially missed out alot of peoples lists of greats.

maybe its just a personal opinion but ive heard alot of test batsmen from the past state he is the best bowler they have faced!!

plus his record isnt bad!

259 test wickets at 20.9

146 odi wickets at 18

Fiery

Banned

maybe its just a personal opinion but ive heard alot of test batsmen from the past state he is the best bowler they have faced!!

259 test wickets at 20.9

146 odi wickets at 18
Outstanding bowler alright, very awkward to face. Fair enough to have him on your list if you rate him that highly...so fair play

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

259 test wickets at 20.9

146 odi wickets at 18
Garner would be in any list of mine.:)

R_D

International Debutant

7.Walter Hammond - A greater batsman than Viv Richards, probably the best slip fielder ever (with Bob Simpson and Mark Waugh), and a very useful bowler. I see no reason for his non-selection in any top 10 other than a bias towards more hyped modern players. On ability alone he's a certainty for me. IMO to compare Hammond to Richards and Tendulkar is an insult to Hammond. I cannot conceive any reasons why modern players like Richards and Tendulkar, who average lower than him anyway, could be considered better given relative pitch conditions. He was also surely a better looking player. I'd not say Viv Richards was a certainty in the top 10, far from it - IMO there have been plenty of better West Indian batsmen.He dominated weak attacks like England and India, while his record against the high quality Pakistan and New Zealand lineups is not worthy of an all-time great. Also he never had to face the mighty West Indian bowlers.

8. Malcolm Marshall - I think Lillee is overrated. In reality, he was an outstanding but far from complete fast bowler, he was less effective against left-handers and not as good as some at running through the tail due to the lack of a good yorker. As a matter of fact Lillee had his off days and McGrath is a far more reliable fast bowler. Please note im not questioning his status as a great bowler, just think he is overrated and not the very best. Lillee's stats are less impressive than McGrath even though he played in a lower scoring era, and McGrath is the rarely thought of as the very best fast bowler. IMO Malcolm Marshall is the best and most complete paceman ever, closely followed by Richard Hadlee who would be my 11th greatest
[/B]
Fair enough if you think Hammond deserves to be in the top 10 but i don't see the point of trying to knock down other players. Poor form.

archie mac

International Coach
To be honest, Bradman's praise might have just been a sudden hyperbole, since he said it at O'Rielly's funeral. I normally wouldn't contest this as people trying to discredit testimony is normally a sign that they're reaching. However, I contest this because in his last interview ever given, Bradman was candidly asked who he thought was the best bowler of all time. He said Dennis Lillee. That's significant because Bradman was asked in a somewhat neutral environment, while if he was giving a eulogy, he would probably tend to exaggerrate a little.

And Bradman is just one man. Not to say his opinion shouldn't be highly regarded, but does he know more than say Richie Benaud, who idolised O'Rielly after having seen him play as a teenager, and says Warne is the best.
He stated it on more then one occasion, I did not know he spoke at Tigers funeral?

They were none too fond

If you have a look at Tigers bowling average in the SS, in one of the greatest batting eras in the history of cricket, it is simply out of this world:)

Matt79

Global Moderator
1. Bradman
2. Sobers
3. Imran
4. Warne
5. Marshall
6. Hobbs
7. Hammond
8. W.G. Grace
9. Viv Richards
10. Gilchrist

The first three are pretty set, although Imran is as far behind Sobers as Sobers is behind Bradman, IMO. The rest are a real toss-up, 4-10 could have been named in almost any order. Lillee, Hadlee, and Murali are all fairly stiff to miss out, as are Headley, Weekes, Ambrose, Wasim, etc etc etc...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Isn't it all about expectations? The quality of the lineup, attack or fielding side may help you (ie Murali vs Warne) but pressure is primarily based upon expectations more than anything else, right? Anyways, time to go for me ...
yep, expectations indeed. But even Tendulkar has mentioned that the expectations from the team was what got to him more than all this expectations from the crowd. I am almost sure that SAchin mentioned that he cannot and doesn't go into every innings thinking "billion ppl want me to score a ton here". It is the expectation and therefore, the pressure that the team puts on you that really affects your performance, IMHO.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
hate to rate cricketers I haven't seen..... But to give it a shot...

1. Don
2. Sobers
3. Richards
4. Warne and Murali (can't split them, Warney makes cricket more watchable, Murali is just a bowling machine in the McGrath mould)
6. McGrath
7. Imran
8. Hadlee
9. Lara
10. Sachin

Obviously biased towards the guys I have seen play LIVE.

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
in no order:

garry sobers
viv richards
muttiah muralitharan
donald bradman
shane warne
imran khan
brian lara
joel garner
richard hadlee
ian botham

1.Don Bradman
2.Daylight
3.Imran Khan
4.Viv Richards
5.Ian Botham
6.Brian Lara
7.Malcolm Marshall
8.Gary Sobers
9.Jack Hobbs
10.Wasim Akram

All Rounder

Cricket Spectator
1.DON BRADMAN
2.IMRAN KHAN
3.GARY SOBERS
4.MURALITHARAN
5.GLENN McGRATH
6.MALCOM MARSHALL
7.RICHARD HADLEE
8.JOEL GARNER
9.VIV RICHARDS
10.SHANE WARNE

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I was going to post similar thoughts. I had to read it twice to see that it was indeed the great Philli mans name:cool:
hadn't heard much about the guy, googled him, pretty impressive career, very impressive bowling record....

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hate to rate cricketers I haven't seen..... But to give it a shot...

1. Don
2. Sobers
3. Richards
4. Warne and Murali (can't split them, Warney makes cricket more watchable, Murali is just a bowling machine in the McGrath mould)
6. McGrath
7. Imran
8. Hadlee
9. Lara
10. Sachin

Obviously biased towards the guys I have seen play LIVE.
hbh, you saw the Don play? Man, I thought I was old!!! :p