Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 255

Thread: The Ten Best Cricketers Of All Time

  1. #31
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Nice thread Francis. I might post some longer thoughts later on, but you've done a fair job at an unenviable task - hats off!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  2. #32
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Number of wickets divided by 3
    That post does not make sense.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

  3. #33
    State Vice-Captain Francis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    WELLYWOOD
    Posts
    1,040
    I think there's certainly a case for Hadlee > Miller.

    WG Grace is very hard to place. Firstly, he's best known for making over 50,000 first class runs and making cricket a game for the people. He definitely doesn't belong at number two if you ask me. Why?

    1. Sir Garfield Sobers really was that great. If not for Bradman, I think Sobers would be most people's pick for best cricketer ever. Sobers is pretty much the equivelant of the greatest players in a lot of sports... it's just that he's overshadowed by someone who dominated his sport (Bradman), more than Pele or Maradonna dominated footy. Many who saw Sobers put him head and shoulders above the rest. And the rest aint half bad.

    2. Sir Jack Hobbs, at least in discussions I've partaken in, is genrally regarded as England's best ever cricketer. Considering he had amazing dometic success (like close to 200 domestic centuries), and enjoyed much better Test success than Grace, he gets put easily above Grace. Hobbs was genrally regarded the best cricketer ever before Bradman, and rightfully so because it did a lot of his work in horrendous conditions.

    3. I suppose based on what I said about Hobbs, he could be as high as three. Because he's clearly ahead of Grace. I personally think Viv Richards imposed himself on attacks more potently than Grace. My biggest reasoning for having Richards ahead of Grace is i. He played in a tougher era. ii. Was the heart of the best cricket side ever. Based on some other criteria, I suppose Grace could be put ahead of Viv, but he's not close for me.

    4. Robin Marlar called Warne the modern day WG Grace and I think Warne's legendary status will be best savoured over time. I wont be suprised if 100 years from now, people will still know what the Gatting Ball is. What other cricketer in history can make such a claim? Grace's legacy is his greatest attribute, but I think Warne's will age as good as anybody's.

    5. I have no hesitation putting Imran ahead of Grace. Imran meant more to Pakistan than just being a great player. I remember seeing a special on him on TV, where Waquar Younis talks about how he once got slaughtered by a batting attack and yet Imran asked selecters to pick him because he saw potential... Younis wasn't a great player at all at the time, Imran just saw something. Imran doesn't have the legacy of saying he popularised the game like Grace, but he's a collosus of Pakistani cricket and I think will always be remembered as a godfather of sorts. Heavy lies the crown of any Pakistani captain because the Pakistani people expect an Imran. Needless to say he was more accomplished than Grace. Imran gets the easy nod here.

    I could keep going but I think I'll stop. Grace could maybe have have commanded a spot at 9 or 10... his legacy in cricket will never be extinguished. But there's certainly been plenty of better cricketers, as I think as time goes by, even a century from now, players like Imran might be talked about in the same light as far as being a legend of his time.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    That post does not make sense.
    It should Perm, you're a smart cookie. Divide Hadlee's no. of test wickets by 3 (or a bit less) and you get Miller's.

    OK, I should have said closer to 2.5 but I like to exaggerate to make a point


  5. #35
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    It should Perm, you're a smart cookie. Divide Hadlee's no. of test wickets by 3 (or a bit less) and you get Miller's.

    OK, I should have said closer to 2.5 but I like to exaggerate to make a point
    Seeing as how my previous post was talking about averages, it did not make sense. Until you edited it that is. Anyway, I can easily counter your point with the fact that Miller has only 200 odd less runs than Hadlee, despite playing 30 less matches.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    Seeing as how my previous post was talking about averages, it did not make sense. Until you edited it that is. Anyway, I can easily counter your point with the fact that Miller has only 200 odd less runs than Hadlee, despite playing 30 less matches.
    Hadlee's bowling far outweighs that. What is it about you and Australia and Australian players buddy...sheesh. I never met a more wanna-be-Aussie.

  7. #37
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Hadlee's bowling far outweighs that. What is it about you and Australia and Australian players buddy...sheesh. I never met a more wanna-be-Aussie.
    And that means a lot given Fiery lives in New Zealand!
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    And that means a lot given Fiery lives in New Zealand!
    ? I don't get it

  9. #39
    State Vice-Captain Francis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    WELLYWOOD
    Posts
    1,040
    I never met a more wanna-be-Aussie.
    There isn't a more objective poster here at CW than Perm... maybe that Indian lad as well.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Whangaparaoa, Auckland
    Posts
    10,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    There isn't a more objective poster here at CW than Perm... maybe that Indian lad as well.
    Check out the Adam Gilchrist avatar...it's just not normal for a lad from the Clutha Valley

  11. #41
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    So the guy has aspirations to better himself. No need to slam him for that.

  12. #42
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Hadlee's bowling far outweighs that. What is it about you and Australia and Australian players buddy...sheesh. I never met a more wanna-be-Aussie.
    His bowling outweights the fact that if Miller had played in as many innings as Hadlee, then he would've scored almost 5000 Test runs. I doubt it, especially given the fact that Hadlee murdered a weak team like Sri Lanka in both disciplines whereas Miller was impressive overall IIRC. I am a huge fan of Sir Richard Hadlee's, even more so after reading his autobiography but I find it hard to beleive that you think Hadlee is a better player than Miller, who is to some the greatest all rounder ever.

    Also, my loyalty or nationality shouldn't have anything to do with this and I am a little annoyed that you brought it up in this argument. Yes I do like Australian cricketers and the Australian cricket team, it doesn't mean that I don't have a sense of neutrality when talking about cricketers from Australia and New Zealand.

  13. #43
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    ? I don't get it
    I think he was hinting that all New Zealanders aspire to be Australians.

  14. #44
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis View Post
    There isn't a more objective poster here at CW than Perm... maybe that Indian lad as well.
    Thanks Francis, I'm pleased you think so.

  15. #45
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Check out the Adam Gilchrist avatar...it's just not normal for a lad from the Clutha Valley
    He is my favourite player ever and one that I respect the most. I wouldn't disrespect you're favourite player if he happened to be a foreigner, I'd appreciate it if you did the same.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Overrated Cricketers//Underrated Cricketers
    By grant28 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 10-12-2006, 06:36 PM
  2. Highest paid cricketers?
    By silentstriker in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 01:17 PM
  3. All time Best Goalkeepers
    By Pratters in forum 2006 Football World Cup - Germany
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-05-2006, 02:59 PM
  4. British Summer Time
    By superkingdave in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 16-04-2006, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •