International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Donald - underrated?.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pup Clarke View Post
    Donald - underrated?.
    Very much so IMO, under-rated by most cricket fans around the world (Hingston excepted)
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Mahjong Champion!
    1.Bradman-- no explanation needed
    2.Sobers----- ditto
    3.May--------- a gentleman of the first order..brilliant bat/tactician
    4.Hutton-------the greatest opener of all time?
    5.Warne-------701 Test wickets speak for themselves
    6.Imran--------Pakistans best ever Captain and allrounded cricketer
    7.lloyd---------Leader of the most dominant side in world cricket for quite a few years
    8Grout---------Solid team man handy bat ..best gloveman the Aussies have had
    9.Lillee---------All heart,great fast bowler/competitor
    10.Trueman--Maybe the best fast bowler England has produced
    11.Miller[K]---Fantastic all rounder,new ball bowler,Captain of the 2nd AIF team to play in England as the first test match after the war in 1946

I have seen all bar Hutton play.Could make a second eleven which would give even that side a run for their money and include the likes of Benaud,Dexter,Graveney,D'oliviera,Richards etc etc etc.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    2.Sobers----- ditto
    7.lloyd---------Leader of the most dominant side in world cricket for quite a few years
    11.Miller[K]---Fantastic all rounder,new ball bowler,Captain of the 2nd AIF team to play in England as the first test match after the war in 1946

I have seen all bar Hutton play.Could make a second eleven which would give even that side a run for their money and include the likes of Benaud,Dexter,Graveney,D'oliviera,Richards etc etc etc.

Wally Grout, the Grizz, great to see his name on one of these lists.

Surprised you watched Miller but not Hutton, but even still I envy you
    You know it makes sense.

Banned
    2.Sobers----- ditto

Where does Hadlee rank for you JBMAC?

Mahjong Champion!
    Sir Richard Hadlee would be one of those players in my second eleven,Fiery.There have been so many great players since 1946 and pre 1939 that when comparing these eras one needs to take into account what the playing conditions etc were at that time.Comparisons can be dangerous ie someone of 20-30 years of age would be saying Tendulkar is the greatest batsman of all time..someone in their 30-40 would be saying Border or Gavaskar.Someone in my age group would be saying Harvey,O'Neill etc etc.
    Hadlee was a fine competitor and a fierce opponent but could he have stacked up with those in my first eleven? I don't think so.
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

Banned
    Sir Richard Hadlee would be one of those players in my second eleven,Fiery.There have been so many great players since 1946 and pre 1939 that when comparing these eras one needs to take into account what the playing conditions etc were at that time.Comparisons can be dangerous ie someone of 20-30 years of age would be saying Tendulkar is the greatest batsman of all time..someone in their 30-40 would be saying Border or Gavaskar.Someone in my age group would be saying Harvey,O'Neill etc etc.
    Hadlee was a fine competitor and a fierce opponent but could he have stacked up with those in my first eleven? I don't think so.
    Fair enough...he's still in mine

Mahjong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Wally Grout, the Grizz, great to see his name on one of these lists.

Surprised you watched Miller but not Hutton, but even still I envy you
    Wally Grout was a real rough diamond with a heart of gold and a great keeper.I think he held the record for the most dissmissals in an innings for quite a number of years if i remember correctly.It might have been Goddard who broke that record.You are sure testing the old grey matter now.Never had the opporyunity to see Hutton but I would still rank him as the best opener of all time.Miller was everything aussies wanted after the war Rugged,good looking,War hero[flew spitfires/hurricanes in Battle of Britain},Team Man and a bloody fast bowler who could hit up a quick 50-100 runs in no time at all.

Banned
    Wally Grout was a real rough diamond with a heart of gold and a great keeper.I think he held the record for the most dissmissals in an innings for quite a number of years if i remember correctly.It might have been Goddard who broke that record.You are sure testing the old grey matter now.Never had the opporyunity to see Hutton but I would still rank him as the best opener of all time.Miller was everything aussies wanted after the war Rugged,good looking,War hero[flew spitfires/hurricanes in Battle of Britain},Team Man and a bloody fast bowler who could hit up a quick 50-100 runs in no time at all.
    Surprised you would rate Grout higher than Rod Marsh tbh

Mahjong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Surprised you would rate Grout higher than Rod Marsh tbh
    I've always been a believer in that old cliche there is no "I" in the word team.Marshy was good but when it came to autographs/PR for the game etc it was always "What's in it for me?"
    Grout was just Grout.What you saw was what you got.A bloody good sport[no false appeals]If he appealed for a caught behind you knew you were out.A tough fighter when the chips were down..was prepared to put his head down and make you buy his wicket where Marsh would come in with that cavalier attitude and start swinging sometimes it worked most time it didn;t.BUT the game evolved so quickly between Grout and Marsh once again it is one persons iterpretation of the game at that time.It would be really remiss of me not to mention Don Tallon..I had to just about toss a coin between him nad Grout.With the batting lineup those two had they only had to be a good gloveman..Marsh had to bat.Australia has ben fortunate in having great keepers but I think the unluckiest two would have to have been MacLean and Jarman.Jarman even Captained the Aussies once and Porky MacLean had to retir afetr breaking his fingers.

Banned
    I've always been a believer in that old cliche there is no "I" in the word team.Marshy was good but when it came to autographs/PR for the game etc it was always "What's in it for me?"
    Grout was just Grout.What you saw was what you got.A bloody good sport[no false appeals]If he appealed for a caught behind you knew you were out.A tough fighter when the chips were down..was prepared to put his head down and make you buy his wicket where Marsh would come in with that cavalier attitude and start swinging sometimes it worked most time it didn;t.BUT the game evolved so quickly between Grout and Marsh once again it is one persons iterpretation of the game at that time.It would be really remiss of me not to mention Don Tallon..I had to just about toss a coin between him nad Grout.With the batting lineup those two had they only had to be a good gloveman..Marsh had to bat.Australia has ben fortunate in having great keepers but I think the unluckiest two would have to have been MacLean and Jarman.Jarman even Captained the Aussies once and Porky MacLean had to retir afetr breaking his fingers.
    Have a soft spot for Marsh. I went over to Aus when I was a youngster and my uncle bought me his book "Gloves, Sweat and Tears" which I took to a game and got personally signed by him...so he's OK by me

Mahjong Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Have a soft spot for Marsh. I went over to Aus when I was a youngster and my uncle bought me his book "Gloves, Sweat and Tears" which I took to a game and got personally signed by him...so he's OK by me
    Aaah,Fiery, You are letting your heart rule your head

Banned
    Aaah,Fiery, You are letting your heart rule your head
    My heart doesn't lie with any Australian cricketer sorry

Mahjong Champion!
    WHAAAAT not even Trevor Chappell

Banned
    Especially not Trev

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information