• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Bangladesh in Sri Lanka

Aritro

International Regular
I rate Rajin Saleh very highly as a Test batsman, I am one of his biggest supporters and firmly beleive he should be in the ODI team. However I would still rate Habibul Bashar as the best Test batsman that Bangladesh possess, just ahead of Saleh and Shahriar Nafees. Javed Omar being in the ODI side is a joke.

I was very surprised when Mushfiqur Rahim wasn't chosen as part of the Test team actually, he is a far better player than Khaled Mashud, just not as experienced. He will be a very good player in the future for Bangladesh.
I'm usually quite contained in my appraisals of young players but I think given the age at which Mushfiq will start being a test regular, he might be on the way to being our first 100 test cricketer.

When he was 16, Richard McInnes described him as the cricketer most professional in his approach in all of Bangladesh. We've never had a young player more endowed with the dual qualities of technique allied with temperment.

As for his omission from the Test team, it was one of the more glaring selection blunders I can remember. I think that'll change with Richard McInnes' arrival as coach in a few days (from all accounts).

I'll be shocked if he's not the first choice keeper for the Sri Lanka tour.

Aritro

International Regular
Ashraful needs to improve his own game and show that he can lead from the front with mature and responsible innings before he should even be considered as captaincy material.
True as that may be, he's already been appointed captain so it's too late.

For what it's worth, he captained superbly during that middle session on the first day of the first test when Bashar was off the field. Put in an extra fieldsman in the covers to cut off their main source of runs on a dead pitch and brought several others into the infield to cut off the singles. 3 maiden overs later Karthik was out attempting a pullshot to get the score moving.

Mortaza got another one soon after, at which point he siezed the initiative and put in fielders all around the bat for the spinners to attack.

Our best session of cricket for the entire series, and it that's an indication of his approach and tactical abilities then he'll make a fine captain.

His batting still remains our biggest concern though.

cricman

International 12th Man
Ashraful needs to improve his own game and show that he can lead from the front with mature and responsible innings before he should even be considered as captaincy material.
Obviously you did not see him captain, the second session of the first test. Bashar was ill and had to go the dressing room. First thing Ashraful did was change that moron's field settings to an aggressive type, started talking to the bowlers, encouraging them at every opportunity.India lose 2 wickets for 60 runs in that session, and was responsible for Karthik's dismissal.

Forget about Ashraful the Batsmen, I know 67 of 40 is irresponsible, but he's the best prospect to become captain. He's always going to be an enigma when it comes to batting but as captain he has a very good cricketing brain.

Leave Mortaza alone, he's the Vice Captain for this tour but I like him where he is right now.

Aritro

International Regular
started talking to the bowlers, encouraging them at every opportunity..
Yep.

He's obviously miles ahead of Bashar from a tactical perspective, but one thing that stood out for me was how energetic he was throughout. Always chatting to the bowlings, throwing around suggestions and generally lifting the team with his presence.

Couldn't be any more dissimilar to Bashar.

imperialist

Cricket Spectator
next coach

Any ideas on who will be the next bangladeshi coach?? I have been watching this guy talk on sky sports throughout the Bang-India series. It's Jeremy Coney who used to be the New Zealand captain ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Coney ). He is so knowledgeable about cricket and especially some of his comments about how Bangladesh should try to play plus his optimistic views about the Bangaldeshi team and their talents was nice to watch and hear. I wish someone could pass the message out to BCB and ask them to seriously consider him atleast as an adviser to BCB. I was saying this since some of these BCB Bangladeshi advisors (akram khan etc.) are probably not knowledgeable enough (at the international level) to do the job they are doing right now.

On a different note, i know Habibul bashar must leave the team but perhaps we shouldn't forget that he is one of the pioneers of Bangladesh cricket. His many 50s helped bangladesh from embarassing defeats in many occasions. It is really sad to see his career end this way. Sometimes I think he should have never been the captain in the first place, 'cause he's never had that aggressive and 'must-win' attitude. I feel it could be his age and family that has taken a toll on him. It is time for him to go and he really should have resigned after the world cup as captain - perhaps that would have taken some pressure off to come back and continue with his great test batting average.

(Honestly, I think we should blame the toss on Dav watmore and the curator)

Aritro

International Regular
Any ideas on who will be the next bangladeshi coach?? I have been watching this guy talk on sky sports throughout the Bang-India series. It's Jeremy Coney who used to be the New Zealand captain ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Coney ). He is so knowledgeable about cricket and especially some of his comments about how Bangladesh should try to play plus his optimistic views about the Bangaldeshi team and their talents was nice to watch and hear. I wish someone could pass the message out to BCB and ask them to seriously consider him atleast as an adviser to BCB. I was saying this since some of these BCB Bangladeshi advisors (akram khan etc.) are probably not knowledgeable enough (at the international level) to do the job they are doing right now.

On a different note, i know Habibul bashar must leave the team but perhaps we shouldn't forget that he is one of the pioneers of Bangladesh cricket. His many 50s helped bangladesh from embarassing defeats in many occasions. It is really sad to see his career end this way. Sometimes I think he should have never been the captain in the first place, 'cause he's never had that aggressive and 'must-win' attitude. I feel it could be his age and family that has taken a toll on him. It is time for him to go and he really should have resigned after the world cup as captain - perhaps that would have taken some pressure off to come back and continue with his great test batting average.

(Honestly, I think we should blame the toss on Dav watmore and the curator)
It's almost certainly going to be Richard McInnes, the former underage coach who oversaw the development of Shariar Nafees, Aftab Ahmed, Shahadat Hossain, Enamul Haque Jr, Saqibul Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mehrab Hossain Jr. and Tamim Iqbal, among others.

I have to say, Jeremy Coney's one of the worst commentators I've ever heard and was often quite misinformed about our players even if he was optimistic. Very surprised you've mentioned him, of all people.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Hopefully this'll be a little more interesting than Bang against India, but I won't be holding my breath. Also, is June really a good time to be playing cricket in Sri Lanka?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Hopefully this'll be a little more interesting than Bang against India, but I won't be holding my breath. Also, is June really a good time to be playing cricket in Sri Lanka?
I am hoping SL will leave Sanath J, Murali and possibly Vaas on the sidelines (ie rest them) and play a Team of some deserving youngsters to be guided by the experienced duo of Sangakkara and Mahela as I had suggested in my opening post to this thread to make it interesting.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
In Lancashire ofcourse.
My ideal scenario - Murali takes a bag of wkts against Bangl and is 5 away from Warne for the Gabba Test in Nov. What a mouth watering prospect? The Aus media will give Murali hell anyway - taking the record off Warne in Aus wil cap a remarkable career for Murali.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Whats happened to Aftab Ahmed, out of interest? Can't remember if he's injured or just woefully out of form. Looked pretty good there for a while.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whats happened to Aftab Ahmed, out of interest? Can't remember if he's injured or just woefully out of form. Looked pretty good there for a while.
Just doesn't have the discipline for test cricket. Still looks a million dollars in ODIs but then throws it away for no particular reason. Did the same in test cricket before he got dropped.

imperialist

Cricket Spectator
who will air the series in UK

Does anyone have an idea about who will be airing the srilanka bangladesh series in UK and North America? I havent been able to find anything on the net .. is it true that the rights to the series is yet to be sold?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just doesn't have the discipline for test cricket. Still looks a million dollars in ODIs but then throws it away for no particular reason. Did the same in test cricket before he got dropped.
It's a shame. I really hope he improves his discipline and shot selection, one of the most naturally talented players in Bangladesh.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
My ideal scenario - Murali takes a bag of wkts against Bangl and is 5 away from Warne for the Gabba Test in Nov. What a mouth watering prospect? The Aus media will give Murali hell anyway - taking the record off Warne in Aus wil cap a remarkable career for Murali.
That would make things quite worse for Murali, IMO.

Its better he is well below the record when he plays there . Otherwise they will give him hell .(worse than what he will otherwise get.).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/296548.html

Looks like Murali, Vaas, Sangakkara will play against Bangladesh.

I thought Sri Lanka could've used a home "Test" series against Bangladesh to blood some youngsters in. Doesn't look like its going to happen.

Meanwhile the Tussle at Sri Lanka Cricket (Board) continues between the Politicians and the Cricket Board ....De Mel has been re-appointed/ had his tenure extended by the Minister.
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/srilanka/content/story/296476.html

I can't disagree with the Minister over De Mel's reappointment though... he hasn't done a bad job so far...If this feuding continues Sri Lanka will flop when they travel down under and each will blame the other for the failure....Real bad state of affairs at Sri Lanka Cricket ...hope they can reach a " Compromise " - Sadly a word not found in the Vocabulary or Dictionary in Sri Lanka (the country) as a whole....:ph34r:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's the Schedule

Practice Match 20-22 June

First Test SSC 25-29th June

(moved to SSC from R.Premadasa Stadium -? Political reason for the change - President Premadasa was a Politician of the opposition party during his lifetime before his assasination):) :laugh:

Second Test Tamil Union (P.Saravanamuttu Stadium) 3rd to 7th July

Third Test - Asgiriya Stadium Kandy 11th to 15th July

Practice ODI 18th July

First ODI 20th July (Tamil Union)

Second ODI 22nd July (R. Premadasa Stadium)

Third ODI 24th July (R.Premadasa Stadium)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder which of the 2 factions (at SL Cricket ) will pick the next coach . De Mel and the Minister and selectors panel or the Cricket Board with Duleep Mendis and co.

Its quite clear that they are both at logger heads at the moment .

Isura

U19 Captain
I am hoping Murali will choose to remain at Lancashire and Sanath J is given a break from this series.
noooo. Murali needs to play these tests so that he is right on target to get his 700th against England when I will be there to see it. I don't want to see these young players yet either, Jayasuriya is still our best opener and I want to see him in tests.

Isura

U19 Captain
I am hoping SL will leave Sanath J, Murali and possibly Vaas on the sidelines (ie rest them) and play a Team of some deserving youngsters to be guided by the experienced duo of Sangakkara and Mahela as I had suggested in my opening post to this thread to make it interesting.
Why do they need rest? They will have almost 6 weeks break from serious cricket until the 20/20 WC, and then only play a few ODIs and 2 tests in Oct-Nov. I think they need to keep the test side intact and find a great nucleus for the upcoming tests against Aus and Eng. Look at Aus, they play their best players, not marginal prospects.