• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Bangladesh in Sri Lanka

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
FFS Bangladesh this is ****ing woeful. Congrats to Vaas though, Prasanna is **** so I don't care about him.
Well I think PJ atleast did good by following team orders and giving Vass the chance. now with rain forecast I hope this lasts 5 days

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Well I think PJ atleast did good by following team orders and giving Vass the chance. now with rain forecast I hope this lasts 5 days
I hope at least 2 Bangladesh batsmen score centuries.

Hell, 50's would be something...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose that balances out the travesty that is Prasanna Jayawardene's Test century?
TBH its not as bad a Gillespie double hundred, but as Gillespie enjoyed his moment so should PJ. His waited his whole career for it TBF.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Bangladesh's lack of exposure to the longer form of the game is being shown here. He's probably their best player, but Mashrafe Mortaza is a prime example: before the Tests against India, he'd bowled just 12.4 overs in any match longer than 50 overs. All in all, outside of Test cricket, he's played just eight First-Class matches: five NCL games for Khulna, two warm-up games in England in 2005 and a match for Bangladesh A vs Sri Lanka A in March last year. In his career so far, he's played 75 List A and ODI games, plus countless DPL and CCL domestic games in Bangladesh. There simply isn't enough 3- and 4-day cricket played.

Below shows the number of FC and List A matches played by the two elevens currently playing in Colombo, minus Tests and ODIs.

Code:
			Age	FC	ListA					Age	FC	ListA
Javed Omar		30	42	35		MG Vandort		27	98	62
Shahariar Nafees	21	16	6		BSM Warnapura		28	106	72
Rajin Saleh		23	38	30		KC Sangakkara		29	79	58
Habibul Bashar		34	30	38		DPMD Jayawardene	30	78	58
Mohammad Ashraful	22	37	30		LPC Silva		27	98	93
Shakib Al Hasan		20	13	8		TM Dilshan		30	125	65
Khaled Mashud		31	41	50		HAPW Jayawardene	27	121	88
Shahadat Hossain	20	25	11		WUPJC Vaas		33	72	48
[COLOR="red"]Mashrafe Mortaza	23	8	7[/COLOR]		[COLOR="red"]SL Malinga		23	47	22[/COLOR]
Mohammad Rafique	36	23	35		M Muralitharan		35	95	79
Abdur Razzak		25	36	40		CRD Fernando		27	57	41
Several of the players cannot have their records compared: Bashar, Mashud, Rafique and Javed played a significant proportion of their career before Bangladesh had Test and domestic FC/List A status; some of the Sri Lankans (Warnapura, Vandort, Prasanna Jayawardene) have played minimal international cricket. What it does show, however, is how little exposure to the longer form of the game Bangladesh are receiving. The Mashrafe/Malinga case is probably the best example: two fast bowlers, of the same age, have contrasting records (Mashrafe was injured for a year or so, but his record wouldn't have been substantially different).

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
If you were a cricketing Rip van Winkle who fell asleep after BD's first Test in SL (Ashrafal's debut) and woke up days before this one you'd think BD have made no progress in the nearly six years since - and to be honest in Test cricket they haven't. They prioritised ODIs to prepare for the WC and have improved there but in Tests they still tread water. Vass does a "Gilespie" and the only difference between this Test and the 2001 match is that no SL batsman retired bored this time. Ashrafal to do what he did in that match? Probably won't matter wehter he does or not...

SightForTheGods

Cricket Spectator
Vaas deserved that century. Similar to how Pollock deserved his ODI century.

Now, it will be fun if Ashraful puts some life into the second innings.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Unfortunate thing is PJ will now be in the eleven in Australia which is not the right combination selectors have to think smart here (which is a problem for them). All i see is Vandort would miss out and they pick Attapatu and retain PJ thats how twisted their minds are.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Good on Bangladesh. They just got to learn the difference between postive batting and down right stupidity if they do that their batting has lot of promise

cricman

International 12th Man
50 for Javed Omar, 110/1 at lunch and if Nafees didn't gift his wicket away who know maybe 20 more runs

Last edited:

Aritro

International Regular
For me this Test match has re-inforced, after having allowed myself to think otherwise, just how rubbish we are.

I just hope they can get some time in the middle here and come out of the next match with a bit more credit.

Last edited: