• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good COULD Pakistan be?

haroon510

International 12th Man
we have a couple of indian fans including ss who hates afridi not because he is a bad but because he has much better record against india than any other countries.

pasag

RTDAS
we have a couple of indian fans including ss who hates afridi not because he is a bad but because he has much better record against india than any other countries.
Haha, this post in relation to SS couldn't be further from the truth. It's quite laughable and you can start with the tribute to Inzamam in his sig for a reason as to why that is so.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Same reason why you guys hate Sehwag? :p

Anyways, yeah like Pasag said, SS is more Pakistani than Indian. ;)

Fusion

Global Moderator
You are clearly not familiar with SS. As Turb pointed out, you could almost call SS a Pakistani fan considering his love of Inzi and our pace bowlers. The only reason he doesn't like Afridi is because of his record against India? Very unfair statement on your part. I'm not too fond of Afridi either, and I'm a Pakistani fan. Please keep in mind that Afridi's batting approach will always be controversial and will produce both fans and critics.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, I actually had to look back at Perm's post to check whether he had genuinely typo'd himself into that or whether it required some devious post-editing.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I,despite being Pakistani,hate Afridi as much as Rana or Sami.So,what would u say about me then?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes.

Pakistan's attack would indeed be a better one if Mushtaq had not ceased performing in Tests (for no apparent reason) in 1998 and if Saqlain hadn't been injured in 2003.

Was it only injury that kept Saqlain out. I have always suspected that the hammering he got against India in their only innings at Multan (1 wkt for 204 runs) finished his career.

Its sad but true that many cricketers, particularly bowlers are finished if they get hit in Indo Pak games and match/series are lost.

Same happened to as great a bowler as Bishen Bedi.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
Was it only injury that kept Saqlain out. I have always suspected that the hammering he got against India in their only innings at Multan (1 wkt for 204 runs) finished his career.

Its sad but true that many cricketers, particularly bowlers are finished if they get hit in Indo Pak games and match/series are lost.

tha india match was his 1st match for nearly 2 years
he got rushed back from injury

besides he has got enough wickets against india so you can tell that that multan match was a one off for him
the guy just loves playing against india

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
tha india match was his 1st match for nearly 2 years
he got rushed back from injury

besides he has got enough wickets against india so you can tell that that multan match was a one off for him
the guy just loves playing against india
I never said anything contrary to what you are saying. :)

But he was dropped after that game and never recalled.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Butt is old news. Asif is the only youngster to have emerged during the last two years.

In 1997, Pakistan had Saeed Anwar, Aamir Shoail, Inzamam, Ejaz and Salim Malik in the batting department with Yousuf rising quickly through the ranks as well. Mohammad Wasim and Ali Naqvi were extremely promising youngsters, having scored test centuries in trying conditions against strong opponents.

Our bowling line-up was composed of Wasim, Waqar, a young, brilliantly audacious Saqlain, wily Mushtaq at the top of his art [anybody who watched the Durban test in South Africa would know what I am talking about], a young, relatively unknown Shoaib Akhtar, Mohammad Zahid who made his appearence on the scene with one of the most devestating bowling performances ever in Pakistan, supported by the talents of a Razzaq who actually knew and wanted to ball, Azhar Mahmood who was being hailed as the next Imran Khan and actually looked the part of a top-order batsman and the likes of Mohammad Akram, Fazal-E-Akbar, Shahid Nazir, Mohammad Hussain providing decent support to the top tier bowlers.

Shahid Afridi performed brilliantly during the Carlton and United series, we had excellent keepers and more than adequate batsmen in Moin and Latif. In short, our team compromised of world class players, brilliant youngsters who were clearly talented and prospects who were expected to blaze a bright trail in their wake...(even if that didn't happen, the expectations and the euphoria was still there...)

But I look at the team today, and I compare it with the team in 1997, and I just don't see the same quality - neither among the established stars, some of whom failed to capitalize on their glorious starts, nor among the rising acts, which all seem to exist in a sea of mediocrity, rising about the tides with an occasional flash of brilliance, only to be brought down for good in the subsequent clashes. No Shoaib, no Yousuf, no Saqlain, no replacement in sight for Inzamam, the hole left by Anwar's retirement is yet to be filled - hell, I don't even see any Afridi or Razzaq or Mahmood, people who dazzled with their performances, who were young and energetic and clearly about the rest of pack (at least at that time).

Pakistan haven't had a quality established ODI batsmen after Mohammad Yousuf who joined the frey in 1997...about ten years ago [and yeah saying Shoaib Malik is one is definitely stretching it - how many match winning innings has he played?]. The musical chair played by the selectors definitely hasn't helped, but in general, the quality either hasn't been there or has been handled and nurtured absolutely attrociously. The less glamourous compatriots like Asim Kamal, Zahid Fazal and several others have been absolutely savaged by the selection policies, with the focus being put on bits and pieces players...

Anyway I can rant on and on, but suffice to say, the current bunch disappoints greatly, specially in the bowling department. There is something to be said when a neutered Saqlain and an impotent Mushtaq feel like gods compared to the likes of Kaneria (whose test figures are laughable really)... Without Shoaib Akhtar, Pakistani team lacks penetration and fire-power, as has been proven time and again...and I don't think Shoaib has it in him to play more than a few series...
Very unfair on Kaneria sure his wicket tally has been inflated due to some cheap wickets against early BD but if you look at the picture closely he has been pretty decent, 15 wickets each in his first tour to Aus and SA and to add to that 19 wickets in his first tour to India where he outbowled Kumble.

The only real blemish on his record was the tour to Eng last summer but apart from that he has played a crucial role in many a test wins both at home and abroad.

haroon510

International 12th Man

anil Kamble got bashed by pakistani batsman also (afridi, saeed anwar, inzi) how come his career didn't end up like saqi?
saqi was a unique bowler who reached the hight in no time. he came down from that hight in the same speed as he went up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I'm confident that had he continued to tear-up the turf in domestic cricket he'd have got the recall. Sadly, he hasn't - quite the opposite, in fact.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, this post in relation to SS couldn't be further from the truth. It's quite laughable and you can start with the tribute to Inzamam in his sig for a reason as to why that is so.
Same reason why you guys hate Sehwag? :p

Anyways, yeah like Pasag said, SS is more Pakistani than Indian. ;)
You are clearly not familiar with SS. As Turb pointed out, you could almost call SS a Pakistani fan considering his love of Inzi and our pace bowlers. The only reason he doesn't like Afridi is because of his record against India? Very unfair statement on your part. I'm not too fond of Afridi either, and I'm a Pakistani fan. Please keep in mind that Afridi's batting approach will always be controversial and will produce both fans and critics.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I,despite being Pakistani,hate Afridi as much as Rana or Sami.So,what would u say about me then?
Don't bring my state's reputation into the gutter.
:laugh: What a ridiculous notion.
Afridi IMO.
The most rounded-on post since Filthgate, it would seem.

Last edited: