• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

(Slightly late) CW Awards for 13th-20th May

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are no milestones again this week - sadly Manju has had to (temporarily, we hope) step down from his role on the team, due to heavy workloads in his chemistry course. I'm sure we all want to thank him for the sterling job he's done and hope to see him back in the seat very soon. In the meantime, if someone would like to offer to compile weekly milestones, it'd be much appreciated. Otherwise, we'll have to drop that part of the awards until Manju can return.

The CW Awards Team

Position vacant (milestones)
pasag (Bradman, Skull & Agarkar/Mohammed )
Richard (Sir Geoffrey, Inzamam, Saj and Sobers)
adharcric (Afridi and Hussey)
oz_fan (Tony Greig and Marsh/Lillee)
Archie (Warne & Rana/Gatting)

All awards nominations to be sent to cwawards@cricketmail.net

Best Of The Best
By popular demand, exact posting-IDs only will be used for the naming of award-winners.

The Shahid Afridi Award (Best post of the week)
Like an innings by the great man, it does not have to be very long, to be great viewing.
And the Winner is: steve132 for this, Afridi with his first post, unique achievement to date. Best first post ever?

The Shane Warne Award (Best thread of the week)
Like his bowling it must be interesting but just like his private life it can also be controversial.
And the Winner is: Stefano for this, no real big threads this week, but there was some top-quality posting in this one.

The Skull Award (Funniest poster for the week)
Just like the king of the one liner Kerry O’Keefe, can also be serious.
And the Winner is: HeathDavisSpeed for this.

The Sobers Award (Most varied poster of the week)
The true all-rounder of CW you must be able to contribute to a number of threads.
And the Winner is: Perm, easy choice, I can't recall a thread he's missed this week.

The Tony Greig Award (Worst prediction of the week)
Will he ever live down that ‘We will make them grovel’ prediction re- the West Indies?
And the Winners are: grecian and myself for this and this respectively. You are a lucky man, Sean Bennett... :ph34r:

The Inzamam Award (Vaguest poster of the week)
We are not sure what he is talking about, but we hope he knows.
And the Winner is: no award this week.

The Sir Geoffrey Award (Most knowledgeable poster of the week)
We were going to call this the Richie Benaud award, but after speaking to Boycs, he assured us he new twice as much as Richie.
And the Winner is: wpdavid, haven't seen him around much these last couple of months, but has been back recently, and always a decent bet for this award when he's around. :cool:

The Bradman Award (Overall CW poster of the week)
Simply the best no matter what the debate or criteria.

The Agarkar/Mohammed Award ('At least they’re trying' award)
Just like the players this award is named after, they may not be quite good enough for any other award, but at least we remember them.
And the Winner is: LA ICE-E, unflinching support for the second-tier sides, even to the extent of 17 consecutive posts at one point. Keep up the good work.

The Mike Hussey Award (Best newcomer [less then 500 posts])
Not too many have had a great debut and continued success like “Mr Cricket”.
And the Winner is: Athlai, has been in the running several times and a much-deserving winner on this occasion. :thumbup1:

The Gatting V Rana Award (Best debate of the week)
And the winners are: KaZoH0lic, Swervy, myself, silentstriker, Fiery, Slifer, Shoaib\BhupinderSingh\J.J.B.Lewis, marc71178, shortpitched713 and Anil for this, this award also covers last week when someone was stupid enough to omit it. Been going on for a while, this thread and arguments within has - and covering one hell of a lot of ground too... top work to all involved for staying with it. :thumbup1:

The Saj Award (Best rant of the week)
Following Saj's outburst after the Third Ashes Test 2006\07, and no Saj, we didn't know what you were doing out there either, it was a sad indictment on the quality of our reserves.

The Marsh/Lillee Award (Best prediction of the week)
They took 500/1 against England winning after following-on, and won, um lost.
And the Winner is: Prince EWS for this. Good spot old son...

Please remember, these awards are not officially endorsed by CW management :)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I should add, too, that if anyone is interested in taking on the milestones role, email Sean (archie) at kehlers at iprimus dot com dot au or myself at RJED2 at AOL dot com.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, aiming for an award (not the Greigy)... you could do worse. If it means you aim to post quality, it's all good.

Certainly far, far better than stating the aim of a particular postcount.

cover drive man

International Captain
TBH, aiming for an award (not the Greigy)... you could do worse. If it means you aim to post quality, it's all good.

Certainly far, far better than stating the aim of a particular postcount.
When I said I wanted to win a award I meant awards like The Shahid Afridi Award or The Bradman Award. I aim to win it by posting quality.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That was indeed what I meant. Think thee hard and post thee good, is my sole message, TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kerry O'Keeffe is nicknamed "Skull", and the award's named after him.

And blame Gelman (pasag) for you getting it, TBH.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Kerry O'Keeffe is nicknamed "Skull", and the award's named after him.

And blame Gelman (pasag) for you getting it, TBH.
Ah... Okay... The erstwhile O'Keeffe's nickname has passed me by in my life-to-date.

Is this an award that I should be 'blaming' someone for giving it to me? Is it the CW equivalent of an Emmy when we're all aiming for an Oscar??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, the "blame" was sarcastic, TBH. Good to see your being new(ish) hasn't exempted you from missing my sarcasm\jest\irony. :thumbup1:

Yeah, the Skull is a much-craved award. One of the most difficult to win. And don't worry - I never knew about O'Keeffe's nickname pre-Awards either.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, the "blame" was sarcastic, TBH. Good to see your being new(ish) hasn't exempted you from missing my sarcasm\jest\irony. :thumbup1:
Sarcasm isn't the easiest thing to 'read'. A lot of sarcasm is in how something is said - body language and intonation rather than the words themselves. That's a problem with forums in general sometimes... easily turns something said in jest and with good intentions into something insulting!!

Anyway, I'll make sure to have a pint or two tonight to celebrate my award. I doff my cap to the man who voted for me. Thanks to pasag (Lee Germon) :euro:

archie mac

International Coach
Thanks to Richard for helping out again this week:cool:

I will be back posting the awards starting next week:)

And congrats to all of the winners, good to see some new faces

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sarcasm isn't the easiest thing to 'read'. A lot of sarcasm is in how something is said - body language and intonation rather than the words themselves. That's a problem with forums in general sometimes... easily turns something said in jest and with good intentions into something insulting!!
I know. And I'm CW's universal victim of said reality. :(
Anyway, I'll make sure to have a pint or two tonight to celebrate my award. I doff my cap to the man who voted for me. Thanks to pasag (Lee Germon) :euro:
Haha, there's no voting involved, TBH. People can nominate (hence the CricketMail account at the top of the post) but in the end the choice is completely Gelman's (BTW, it's Zac Gelman, and he's one of the main men of the site as well as a poster and awards-panel member - though to add I have spotted the jest in your Lee Germon remark), though myself and Sean (archie) as chief award-givers retain a right to veto or overrule. That's never been used, but the Awards Panel remains a dictatorship (there's no smiley that conveys jested stuck-upness, sadly, otherwise I'd use it here in an attempt to avoid... well, you-know-what) with one or two levels of the feudal system.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thanks to Richard for helping out again this week:cool:

I will be back posting the awards starting next week:)
*Feels the sighs of relief sweep around the forum*

Mind, I enjoyed it while it lasted. Any time you're busy, you know just to fire me off an email. Though ideally you'd email the whole Panel, telling them to get straight to me, and saving yourself from forwarding 4 or 5 mails. And remember to pick your Warney and Rana\Gattings when you do! :p

archie mac

International Coach
*Feels the sighs of relief sweep around the forum*

Mind, I enjoyed it while it lasted. Any time you're busy, you know just to fire me off an email. Though ideally you'd email the whole Panel, telling them to get straight to me, and saving yourself from forwarding 4 or 5 mails. And remember to pick your Warney and Rana\Gattings when you do! :p
I will, no posting in the last week so was not sure of best thread:unsure: