• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vincent set to quit New Zealand

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't see the benefits myself, he isn't good enough to make it as a succesful batsman in Australia IMO. The only reason he would be moving is to improve his skills for a couple of years and then come back as a better player, much like Jacques Rudolph is doing with Yorkshire.

James

Cricket Web Owner
He wont go. Just trying to get a better contract from NZ Cricket me thinks
I tend to think he will go.

He's never been valued by New Zealand Cricket, and he has a young family now. He probably wants the chance to cash in on his talent and earn some real dollars for himself and his family and get the respect he deserves.

Fiery

Banned

He's never been valued by New Zealand Cricket, and he has a young family now. He probably wants the chance to cash in on his talent and earn some real dollars for himself and his family and get the respect he deserves.
I may be being naive but would South Australia pay him more than what he's getting now in NZ? If so, that surprises me

Perm

His talent that remains unfufilled? He doesn't deserve any respect until he can perform consistently at the highest level, which he has very rarely done. I agree that he was given a hard time of it in Test match cricket, but given the lack of Test's we play then it hasn't been too much of an issue.

HeathDavisSpeed

I may be being naive but would South Australia pay him more than what he's getting now in NZ? If so, that surprises me
It depends if he's on a central contract with NZC or not. If you aren't on an NZC contract, you earn a pittance.

Personally, I think he's doing a 'Skippy' Sinclair to ensure he gets an NZC contract this year - they are up for renewal soon.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Possible scare tactics like Sinclair? Though I agree with what James said.

Vincent has a career similar to Katich - dropped after a good score and made to play in a position he's not used to.

I'm still convinced Vincent is one of the top 5 batsmen in NZ and should be a first choice for both sides.
However, if NZC don't see that then I don't blame him for going somewhere where he would be valued.

It's a pity he couldn't play county cricket this season.

Fiery

Banned
It depends if he's on a central contract with NZC or not. If you aren't on an NZC contract, you earn a pittance.

Personally, I think he's doing a 'Skippy' Sinclair to ensure he gets an NZC contract this year - they are up for renewal soon.
He's definitely on a central contract...and yes I agree with your 2nd sentence.

HeathDavisSpeed

I like Vincent - he's the sort of personality that doesn's suit Bracewell. I won't forget that time he fielded in the deep and ended up with his trousers round his ankles. I hope he doesn't call it a day for NZ, it'll be the end of his international career I'd expect. I'd rather lose Sinclair than Vincent.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I would imagine based on the NZC contracts, you'd have a top five of Vettori, Bond, Fleming, Oram and Styris meaning Vincent wouldn't be earning a lot - probably only $50,000 - $70,000.

I'd say he'd earn far more being on a top contract with South Australia.

For me, he's been awfully treated by New Zealand Cricket and I wouldn't blame him at all if he turned his back on NZC.

HeathDavisSpeed

For me, he's been awfully treated by New Zealand Cricket and I wouldn't blame him at all if he turned his back on NZC.
When was that? Badly treated by Bracewell maybe, but NZC?? Surely every player wants to play in front of their fans, and Vincent has a lot of fans over here.

I think the minimum NZC contract is $70-80k plus merchandising tie-ins etc.

South Australia is still only state cricket.... though I have NO idea how much they earn there, state players in NZ only earn about $30-40k according to Sinclair who claimed he was having to work at the port in Napier during the off-season just to survive :huh:

Fiery

Banned
I would imagine based on the NZC contracts, you'd have a top five of Vettori, Bond, Fleming, Oram and Styris meaning Vincent wouldn't be earning a lot - probably only $50,000 - $70,000.

I'd say he'd earn far more being on a top contract with South Australia.

I don't think he has been treated "awfully". He probably should have been originally selected for the VB Series but he hasn't done himself that many favours in recent times with his shot selection

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
His talent that remains unfufilled? He doesn't deserve any respect until he can perform consistently at the highest level, which he has very rarely done. I agree that he was given a hard time of it in Test match cricket, but given the lack of Test's we play then it hasn't been too much of an issue.
Ironically, he's still the highest averaging test opener since Richardson (IIRC).

Since his recall in both formats he has made the most of his ability, as the stats plainly show.