• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New South Wales to play Australia (Tomorrow)

chris.hinton

International Captain
Australian Cricket Board (ACB) Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland announced today that Australia's squad for the VB Series of one-day internationals will play a practice match against a New South Wales (NSW) XI next Tuesday (10 December) at North Sydney Oval.

Quote from Cricinfo

The team Will be as follows

NSW: Steve Waugh (Captain)
Corey Richards
Matthew Phelps
Michael Clarke
Michael Slater
Phil Jaques
Nathan Pilon
Shawn Bradstreet
Dominic Thornely
Stuart MacGill
Nathan Bracken

Australia

Hayden,Gilcrist, Bevan,Ponting(Capt), Lehmann,Martyn,Watson, Warne,Lee, Gilcrispie, McGrath

anzac

International Debutant
why / what's the point / why bother ????

would have been better to have Aus v Aus A as a warm up.....

I know there was arguement against it and Tubby didn't like it, but it's a good indication for the A team where they may stand (only if they play a series). After all isn't that how the current OD Captain got his break???????????

;)

MrPerko

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah, Aus Vs Aus A would be great...

I remember the final of the CUB series in.... '94???... was Australia Versus Australia A, with players like Ponting and Blewett in the Aus A side.

However, it'll be interesting to see how Steve Waugh and Slater etc. go against McGrath, Gillespie and Lee. If I were these guys, I'd be bowling slow, half volleys to Waugh to help him get his eyes in for Melbourne and Sydney tests.....

I'd be interesting to know if Steve Waugh has ever been up against McGrath in a competitive game (seeings how they're both N.S.Welshman)... does anyone know???

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Originally posted by MrPerko
Yeah, Aus Vs Aus A would be great...

I remember the final of the CUB series in.... '94???... was Australia Versus Australia A, with players like Ponting and Blewett in the Aus A side.

However, it'll be interesting to see how Steve Waugh and Slater etc. go against McGrath, Gillespie and Lee. If I were these guys, I'd be bowling slow, half volleys to Waugh to help him get his eyes in for Melbourne and Sydney tests.....

I'd be interesting to know if Steve Waugh has ever been up against McGrath in a competitive game (seeings how they're both N.S.Welshman)... does anyone know???
Id say they have played each other, a few years ago when steve waugh was coming back from injury he was captain of Australia A, is also say they might have in Sydney grade cricket.

Andre

International Regular
Unfortunately, I live near NorthSydney Oval and it is currently raining so my guess is the game won't go ahead. a shame - I was going to go and watch it.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
its raining here in canberra too, but the forecast is good, so hopefully we will get a full days play v England.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Just heard Stewie MacGill on the Radio and its interesting, The Australian boys are taking it seriously while the NSW boys are using it as a mid wicket net session...

Maybe good it aint goin ahead...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Would that please the Australian selectors?

They will be wanting Australia to have a decent fight on their hands & MacGill had made that sound unlikely.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Mate to show how much interest the Aussie selectors had in the match, NONE of them were goin to the game...

Thats right NONE!!!!!
:O:O:O:O:O:O
Pretty ridiculous if u ask me....

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Gregory Blewett
Mate to show how much interest the Aussie selectors had in the match, NONE of them were goin to the game...

Thats right NONE!!!!!
:O:O:O:O:O:O
Pretty ridiculous if u ask me....
You mean the NSW game? Well actually it doesn't matter if it is or it's the England vs Prime Minister's XI game really, I suppose they are showing they have already decided who's in their squad...

Man, this squad looks much more stronger than the English national team!And i believe the match would be alot more competitive than the ones that would be taking place b/w Australia and England

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by TendulkarMark2

Man, this squad looks much more stronger than the English national team!And i believe the match would be alot more competitive than the ones that would be taking place b/w Australia and England
Australian Cricket is very strong at the moment. But if you look at the NSW squad then in the next 5 years a few of the big names will have gone, and if Bevan hasn't already then he will be close to. Cricket is a strange game, the balance of power can change very quickly.

The interesting thing about this match will be that Steven would be bowling (to get a place in the WC squad as an allrounder). Earlier i read in WestAus Newspaper, that Steven had ignored the requests of Aussie selectors to bowl against the Englis team (in recent onedayer) and prove that he can still be usefull to the team as an allrounder!

warrioryohannan

U19 Cricketer
Bad bad call by Steve Waugh, the way English batsmen are performing, Waugh would have easily taken 3-4 wkts in his quota of ten overs had he bowled in that match!

Choora

State Regular
Originally posted by TendulkarMark2

The interesting thing about this match will be that Steven would be bowling (to get a place in the WC squad as an allrounder). Earlier i read in WestAus Newspaper, that Steven had ignored the requests of Aussie selectors to bowl against the Englis team (in recent onedayer) and prove that he can still be usefull to the team as an allrounder!
Waugh should have availed that chance, if he can prove 2 the selectors that he can still bowl decently, then he might as well get back into the team.Aussies doesn't have a settled AR, and Steven is too good a player 2 be left out, especially if he can both bat and bowl!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Agreed there - he's already turned his arm over in the Test's a little bit hasn't he, and he definitely bowled a few overs for Kent with a modicum of success.