• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Future of fast bowling in India

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sreesanth is the only one who looks to have world-class potential at the moment. Munaf has the talent but I have always had a hard time rating him as a long-term prospect because of his (lack of) fitness and stamina. Zaheer has led the attack well since his return but the past few matches have been disappointing; nevertheless, he looks fit and I am not too worried about him. RP Singh has a good deal of potential and would certainly benefit from a county stint, as indicated by others here. VRV Singh is the dark horse prospect - he can generate good pace and bounce but his ability to maintain fitness and the guidance that he receives is crucial; he appears to be a dedicated bowler but far from a thinking one. Whatmore, if appointed as the next coach, should place an emphasis on the fitness of prospects such as Munaf and VRV.

Zaheer-Sreesanth-Munaf-VRV-RP looks promising for England, IMO.
It does and I just hope that for once, the unusual happens and an Indian pace attack actually lives up to its hype and does what it promises to do.

But I m not gonna bet on it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I got the impression that living in England, you did not see much of the game, I could have been wrong though.
The series is on Sky and I'm up fairly earlier in the mornings, so I get to see more than an hours worth of play at any giving time.

Last edited:

viktor

State Vice-Captain
The one indian quick that really impressed me in test matches is Sreesanth. In South AFrica he was simply superb. For the first time in many years, we had a genuinely quick bowler who could move the ball both ways and the most pleasing sign, consistently take BIG wickets. He didn't just get the no names, he got the big names, the Lara's etc.

His pace looked genuine (ie. he wasn't bowling as fast as he could to reach the speeds he was, he looked well within himself), he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and seems to be a thinker.

The final factor is his enthusiasm, his flair etc.

Munaf Patel, for all his talents, has 0 flair, the guy looks half asleep for crying out loud.

Zaheer came back with a bang, but he's certainly dropped off again. Agarkar must be disposed, he is holding back the futures of many young aspiring quicks by continually bobbing up, playing 2-3 good matches and then playing crap again. If by now he isn't bowling consistently, he never will. Zaheer I fear may join this boat in the future.

Is Sreesanth still injured? I was surprised to not see him in the first match.

His one day form however is terrible, but I feel that is something that can be worked on, and should be worked on. He is a real talent, and they shouldn't just bookmark him as test only.

RP Singh has good talent, but I think he's too raw. He needs to imo, develop his game preferably in County Cricket for a season or two. It would be a great experience for him

VRV I haven't seen much of, but again, he seems like a sleeping giant type character. Fast Bowlers shouldn't look like they're half asleep.
How is he doing that from the sidelines, btw?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm waiting for ss to see this thread.
Looks like my sig will need to be modified to add a few more photos....

Problem is that everyone is so obessed with finding the next new thing, that they bring kids out way too early and a couple years later, they are discarded in favor of the next new thing. Ishant Sharma being called up for the TEST SQUAD after playing 6 FC games is ludicrous, but unfortunately not new. How are his fitness levels through a whole season? How does he handle pressure situations? Can he bowl through five days over several months?

There are a million questions like these that a player is supposed to answer before he is even considered to be ready, but not in India. There is absolutely no body of work on Ishant Sharma to judge him, and that's not even the worst part. Even he hasn't gotten used to playing day after day of professional cricket.

He has barely played for his state team, barely started to learn his craft from the veterans, and barely figured out how to handle the pressures (internal and external) that come from playing cricket full time, and you think he's ready to be thrown to the wolves? It would be a minor miracle if he did manage to actually stick around, because with so much thrown on him so soon and considering he is probably not learned how to handle it, there is no way he can focus on cricket....

It's come to the point where every time I see some green kid like Sharma picked over a deserving candidate, I just shake my head. Is Gagandeep guaranteed to succeed? No, far from it. But I'd put a lot more faith in a guy who has been doing it for multiple years, and has an average of 20 on Indian pitches over the course of several years, than I would on a six game wonder.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The one indian quick that really impressed me in test matches is Sreesanth. In South AFrica he was simply superb. For the first time in many years, we had a genuinely quick bowler who could move the ball both ways and the most pleasing sign, consistently take BIG wickets. He didn't just get the no names, he got the big names, the Lara's etc.

His pace looked genuine (ie. he wasn't bowling as fast as he could to reach the speeds he was, he looked well within himself), he seems to have a good head on his shoulders and seems to be a thinker.

The final factor is his enthusiasm, his flair etc.
WE?!?!?!?!?! amits finally got through to you, did he? :laugh::lol::laugh::lol::laugh::lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Problem is that everyone is so obessed with finding the next new thing, that they bring kids out way too early and a couple years later, they are discarded in favor of the next new thing. Ishant Sharma being called up for the TEST SQUAD after playing 6 FC games is ludicrous, but unfortunately not new. How are his fitness levels through a whole season? How does he handle pressure situations? Can he bowl through five days over several months?

There are a million questions like these that a player is supposed to answer before he is even considered to be ready, but not in India. There is absolutely no body of work on Ishant Sharma to judge him, and that's not even the worst part. Even he hasn't gotten used to playing day after day of professional cricket.

He has barely played for his state team, barely started to learn his craft from the veterans, and barely figured out how to handle the pressures (internal and external) that come from playing cricket full time, and you think he's ready to be thrown to the wolves? It would be a minor miracle if he did manage to actually stick around, because with so much thrown on him so soon and considering he is probably not learned how to handle it, there is no way he can focus on cricket....

It's come to the point where every time I see some green kid like Sharma picked over a deserving candidate, I just shake my head. Is Gagandeep guaranteed to succeed? No, far from it. But I'd put a lot more faith in a guy who has been doing it for multiple years, and has an average of 20 on Indian pitches over the course of several years, than I would on a six game wonder.
That's my Saj sewn-up next week.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

:clapping:

R_D

International Debutant
Sreesanth is the only one who looks to have world-class potential at the moment. Munaf has the talent but I have always had a hard time rating him as a long-term prospect because of his (lack of) fitness and stamina. Zaheer has led the attack well since his return but the past few matches have been disappointing; nevertheless, he looks fit and I am not too worried about him. RP Singh has a good deal of potential and would certainly benefit from a county stint, as indicated by others here. VRV Singh is the dark horse prospect - he can generate good pace and bounce but his ability to maintain fitness and the guidance that he receives is crucial; he appears to be a dedicated bowler but far from a thinking one. Whatmore, if appointed as the next coach, should place an emphasis on the fitness of prospects such as Munaf and VRV.

Zaheer-Sreesanth-Munaf-VRV-RP looks promising for England, IMO.
Nothing new from Zaheer really, the expected behavior... soon as he gets back in the team. Tries hard in few matches and once confirmed that looks like i've secured my place in the team. Than back to usual complacent ways for our Zak. Looks like his attitude hasn't change much. if he doesn't pick up the slack soon hopefully a permanent disappearance from the Indian team will do him good.
Not saying he's onyl one but thats the culture in indian team i guess. ah well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Would have to be in contention for the Afridi too, surely..
The way I understand it Manan is barred from Afridis, as to award him the Afridi would be to deprive the awards of their most essential of all traits - the first reply being from silentstriker saying "****, I had the Afridi nailed down this week".

(Yes, you guessed it, didn't you? This post was in jest)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Thats a pretty amazing record Gagandeep Singh has. Has anyone on here seen him bowl?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Thats a pretty amazing record Gagandeep Singh has. Has anyone on here seen him bowl?
Unfortunately not live as the games are not telecast. Basically the knock against him is that he is not fast, and the Indian selectors are obsessed with speed. Never mind that he manages to take lots of wickets at a phenomenal average, or that he is known for being able to bowl for an entire day in the hot sun....it's like they have this criteria and anyone who doesn't fit their preconcieved notion (young, fast, preferably tall) is immediately discarded.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Unfortunately not live as the games are not telecast. Basically the knock against him is that he is not fast, and the Indian selectors are obsessed with speed. Never mind that he manages to take lots of wickets at a phenomenal average, or that he is known for being able to bowl for an entire day in the hot sun....it's like they have this criteria and anyone who doesn't fit their preconcieved notion (young, fast, preferably tall) is immediately discarded.
Pathan was slow, and fairly average size.......