• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 5 for the 1877-1940 Test XI

# 5 for the 1877-1940 Test XI

• Ranji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stanley Jackson

• Clem Hill

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

oz_fan

International Regular
This is a poll to decide the number 5 batsman for the 1877-1940 Test XI. I've included Trumper in the poll as well as it was pointed out that he played several innings at the position and people were interested in voting for him. The list of contenders are:

Batsman Mat Inn NO Runs HS1 HS2 HS3 Ave 100 50
George Headley - 19 35 3 2135 270* 223 176 66.71 10 5
Stan McCabe - 39 62 5 2748 232 189* 187* 48.21 6 13
Ranji - 15 26 4 989 175 154* 93* 44.95 2 6
Stanley Jackson - 20 33 4 1415 144* 128 118 48.79 5 6
Clem Hill - 49 89 2 3412 191 188 160 39.21 7 19
Victor Trumper - 48 89 8 3163 214* 185* 166 39.04 8 13

oz_fan

International Regular
My vote goes to Headley he had a phenomenal record in the time period. The runners up will also be in contention for the number 6 spot where they will compete with the allrounders.

JBH001

International Regular
Agreed. Another no-contest.

Jeez what a top 5 this line-up will have

1.Hobbs
2.Sutcliffe
3. Bradmam
4. Hammond
5. Headley

:eek:

:cool2:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
McCabe for mine, losing count of the amount of times I've said this, but many, many people say that he was more talented than Bradman, he just didn't have the application or concentration or desire to be great.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McCabe for mine, losing count of the amount of times I've said this, but many, many people say that he was more talented than Bradman, he just didn't have the application or concentration or desire to be great.
Yes but application and concentration are major parts of the batsmen's art.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yes but application and concentration are major parts of the batsmen's art.
Indeed, which is why he is not considered a great. But with the batting line-up we have, why not have a flair player who isn't neccaserily consistent, but can bring you amazing performances.

stumpski

International Captain
He batted at #3 for virtually the whole of his Test career, but if this is the only slot available, he should be the one to take it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
May as well have Archie Jackson in the poll if that is the logic as some thought he was the most talented of the lot.

Talent = Human perception, averaging 99.94 = other worldly. No comparison

Anyway, Headley. Obviously.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Application, desire etc are pretty vital components of being great. I doubt many people would dispute that McCabe played a few innings that are worthy of any player or situation in history and could be mentioned as better than any Bradman innings without it being a foolish claim. But even of the many people who said they thought McCabe might be more talented that Bradman, I doubt you'd find one in twenty who would actually say he WAS a better batsman.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
George Headley has to be in there somehwere (especially as he had that record in a team that depended on him - could Bradman have done as well with no support?)

bagapath

International Captain
impossible to look beyond headley.

and yes hobbs, sutcliffe, bradman, hammond and headley looks like the greatest top 5 of all time. of course when we combine this team with the post war XI i can imagine gavaskar, richards and may be lara nudging out their counterparts from this team. but still you really cant improve this line up much. against the accuracy of marshall, mcgrath and murali and the flair of warne this line up will be tested to an extent but these batters are unlikely to be dominated by this or any other bowling attack.