• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 5 for the 1877-1940 Test XI

# 5 for the 1877-1940 Test XI

• Ranji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stanley Jackson

• Clem Hill

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

neville cardus

International Debutant
May as well have Archie Jackson in the poll if that is the logic as some thought he was the most talented of the lot.
There is absolutely nothing more wholly exasperating to my mind than having to riddle through the gross overabundance of claims to the effect that there has ever been anyone with a greater profusion of talent than Sir Donald George Bradman. Why is it that people so naturally look upon eye-pleasing "flair" cricketers as ones endowed with implausible talents - while rejecting as almost talentless those lacking in that imperceptibly perceptible quality of charisma? Tell me why sturdy application and ruthless resolve do not constitute incredible gifts, too (gifts perhaps even more valuable than flair and aesthetical value)?

In my humble opinion, friends, talent and flair are two different matters altogether. Don Bradman was easily the most gifted man ever to have played the game, for his natural gifts were the ones that truly mattered.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
McCabe for mine, losing count of the amount of times I've said this, but many, many people say that he was more talented than Bradman, he just didn't have the application or concentration or desire to be great.
So than why would you want a batsman without application, concentration or desire in your all time side?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Late to this thread, so forgive me. Has McCartney been considered in any of the top 4 spots?

BTW - SS, loving that avatar.....

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Late to this thread, so forgive me. Has McCartney been considered in any of the top 4 spots?
yeah he was. but mccartney's best phase, which was just before he retired in the 20s, falls in the 1919 - 1939 era. with bradman, hammond and headley the middle order was too difficult for anyone to break in . btw, mccabe made it to no. 6 which i still believe should've gone to gregory.