• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sourve Ganguly is he underachiever?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Under-achiever? Maybe a planning issue as well. He could have contributed a lot as a change seamer, supporting the two frontliners, which would allow the team to play two spinners instead of one so often. Also, given his success as an opener in ODI's, against Test-class bowling (the attacks he faced included McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Akram, Waqar, Akhtar, Gough, Caddick, Pollock and Donald), he could have opened in Tests as well. We've seen lesser players who've opened in one-dayers also doing a good job at the top in their Test teams. At least one of two problems persistently plaguing the Indian team could be solved, had there been some innovative thinking and hard decisions taken.

And of course, he was a major under-achiever as a fielder, and that weakened the Indian ODI side, despite the runs scored.
How the hell do you open in Tests if you can't play bouncers very well?

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Under-achiever? Maybe a planning issue as well. He could have contributed a lot as a change seamer, supporting the two frontliners, which would allow the team to play two spinners instead of one so often. Also, given his success as an opener in ODI's, against Test-class bowling (the attacks he faced included McGrath, Gillespie, Lee, Akram, Waqar, Akhtar, Gough, Caddick, Pollock and Donald), he could have opened in Tests as well. We've seen lesser players who've opened in one-dayers also doing a good job at the top in their Test teams. At least one of two problems persistently plaguing the Indian team could be solved, had there been some innovative thinking and hard decisions taken.

And of course, he was a major under-achiever as a fielder, and that weakened the Indian ODI side, despite the runs scored.
I don't remember him ever being rated as a fielder.

haroon510

International 12th Man
at one time he was better than Rahal Dravid. considering that i say he is pretty under-achiever. i also think he could have been a good test opener.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He was never better than Dravid in Tests, though there was a time - the first 3 years or so of their careers - when the two were neck-and-neck equals.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i enjoy his bating more than Dravid even now. now don't get me start about Kallies and Dravid again Richard lol

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It may help Ganguly if he ducked instead of usually just catching them in the face or body. Would think a player of his undoubted quality could locate in time if the ball was banged in short or not and getting owned in county cricket by 75mph cricketers was an insult too far.

Although, credit to the guy his 'bounced':) back well and other than getting made to look a wee bit silly against South Africa in a couple of innings, his played 'ok' but I fear for him in England for his going to get it constantly if the wickets have any resonates of pace and bounce (something which he escaped in two tests in RSA).

Good player and probably an overachiever for mine but was a 'gun' ODI player mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't see him being bounced out over here at all, TBH.

Small potential Greigy there if anyone has decent memory.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eh?

And yes, I know about his record for Northants last year - you've never seen someone have 4 bad games?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really poor, yeah, averaging 32.

Not outstanding, certainly, but not out-and-out poor.

Swervy

International Captain
Really poor, yeah, averaging 32.

Not outstanding, certainly, but not out-and-out poor.
0, 30, 73, 21,6, 44, 36,65, 4, 28, 0, 27, 0, 5, 87 (out off 574 for 5dec), 1, 54, 65

is a pretty shocking season for an overseas player, esp when Martin Bicknell averaged about the same as he did that year:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's an underwhelming season - but it doesn't fit, I maintain, your initial description of him.

In any case, how many times have you said English domestic cricket doesn't matter because there have, after all, been 50,000,000 players who've not performed at the domestic level but have done at international level?

(Yes, irony being used)

Swervy

International Captain
It's an underwhelming season - but it doesn't fit, I maintain, your initial description of him.

In any case, how many times have you said English domestic cricket doesn't matter because there have, after all, been 50,000,000 players who've not performed at the domestic level but have done at international level?

(Yes, irony being used)
I dont know whether that counts as ironic!!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It certainly does - I was the one writing the words, so I know whether I was using irony.

And I was - I didn't mean what I said, I was rather, shall we say, slipping into your shoes to impersonate.

Swervy

International Captain
It certainly does - I was the one writing the words, so I know whether I was using irony.

And I was - I didn't mean what I said, I was rather, shall we say, slipping into your shoes to impersonate.
well I dont think that is irony is it?

If you had said it and meant it, it would have been ironic that you had said it, given the stance that you had taken on that matter in the past.

Now, as you were in fact trying to impersonate me by saying it (with a fair amount of hyperbole attached!!), the ironic side of it isnt there, surely...sarcastic maybe, ironic, I am struggle to see

Swervy

International Captain
Ah, FFS, what have I let us in for?

Anyway - you know roughly what I mean. :)
well given you are a staff writer I would have thought you would have known what irony actually was!!!

But yeah, I knew exactly what you were on about:laugh: