View Poll Results: Power Play in ODIs -Is it time to get rid of it ?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 36.36%
  • No

19 57.58%
  • Unsure

2 6.06%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POWER PLAY - Is it time to get rid of it?

POWER PLAY - Is it time to get rid of it?

This last World Cup was the first one that used Power Play. IMO Power Play gives the Toss winning Captain an even greater advantage than it already was. It has made ODIs more lopsided than it used to be. Teams chasing had a chance without Power plays , but with Power plays the disadvantage to the chasing Team is huge.

Is it time to get rid of the Power play ( by which I mean the extra 5 overs) and go back to what it used to be ? [with a proviso that the Captain can choose when he wants to take the Power Play 2 (the 5 overs that follow the first 10 overs of field restriction) ]

I would like your views ...

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I'd like to have a valid reason from you as to how the power play favours the side winning the toss...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Voted no here, but I think they should tamper with it to make sure that the captain cannot take the last two sequentially. You could take 1st optional PP 11-15, but can't take the other one for, say, 5 overs afterwards.

Another option which would be pretty bizarre, would be that the fielding captain can choose optional PP 1, but the batting captain gets to choose optional PP 2. Would be interesting to say the least.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Voted yes, simply because the captain almost always uses them immediately, and hence they add nothing to the game. If the powers that be want the fielding restrictions extended it would be better if they just pushed them out to the 20th over and left it at that, so we never have to hear such idiotic, American-style terms such as "powerplay" ever again.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

The only time there's even a decision over when to take the powerplays is when the pitch is a road, which is bad anyway.

For me they're just a gimmick.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International Vice-Captain
    Power plays benefit the sides that attack,not just in batting,some sides don't even go after the bowling in the 20 overs they just push it around.
    The aussies proved you can use it in the bowling as well.
    20/20 has helped develop one day cricket as well.
    Reason australia is so far ahead is they have embraced 20/20 and the power plays some countries have not.
    The supersub tended to = things up with the supersub as you could play an extra bowler.

Cricket Web Content Updater roseboy64's Avatar
    If captains don't just use them straight away then I wouldn't mind them still being in use. having captains spread them out and use them strategically at different times in the match is the best approach to having power plays. The 20 overs straight thing is kinda boring really.
    Sir Alexander Chapman Ferguson = Greatest Ever Manager
    "One from ten leaves zero." - Eric Williams, former T&T PM
    Member of Cricket Web Green
    Member of Northside Power

R.I.P Fardin Qayyumi

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Voted "Yes". They don't really add anything to the game other than bigger totals.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Another option which would be pretty bizarre, would be that the fielding captain can choose optional PP 1, but the batting captain gets to choose optional PP 2. Would be interesting to say the least.
    I think that's definitely worth a trial, logic would suggest that the batting side would prefer them later in the innings, but if wickets are falling early on it'd be an interesting decision to have to make.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

State Vice-Captain Spitfires_Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think that's definitely worth a trial, logic would suggest that the batting side would prefer them later in the innings, but if wickets are falling early on it'd be an interesting decision to have to make.
    I voted yes, because England are rubbish at using them properly

If they were to change anything they could at least change the name. I cringed when I heard that they were considering "Super-subs" and "Powerplays".

I think the current system doesn't work too well, in most cases it seems they just bowl through them in the first 20; even more so in the first innings. If the batting side was given the choice of when one of the powerplays was they'd most likely just use them towards the end no matter what which leaves us in the same place that made them bring this rule about in the first place, lack of variety.

I wonder if a solution could be for the captains to agree before the match starts when the fielding restricitions will apply. That evens things out a bit more and if it turns out most teams preffer to use them all up right away it might prove or disprove the usefullness of the powerplays in the first place.
    C'mon COLTS

Southern Dynamo Midfielder

www.myspace.com/themakeoutkidsnz

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by crickhowell View Post
    If they were to change anything they could at least change the name. I cringed when I heard that they were considering "Super-subs" and "Powerplays".
    And the horribly wanky signal the umpires have to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Voted no here, but I think they should tamper with it to make sure that the captain cannot take the last two sequentially. You could take 1st optional PP 11-15, but can't take the other one for, say, 5 overs afterwards.

Agreed 110%.

Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Voted yes, simply because the captain almost always uses them immediately, and hence they add nothing to the game. If the powers that be want the fielding restrictions extended it would be better if they just pushed them out to the 20th over and left it at that, so we never have to hear such idiotic, American-style terms such as "powerplay" ever again.
    Out of interest, how is that such an evil thing?
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Voted "no" - while they don't add a huge amount to the game, they do provide an avenue for a bit more unpredictability. Ponting used them well during the WC, deferring them a couple of time, and then bringing them back as an attacking move - was quite good really I thought.

I don't think they either add or subtract from the value of winning the toss tbh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Me, I don't mind the term "powerplay" that much. Things like that tend largely to pass over my head.

As regards the actual use... I hate more than anything the idea that the batting team have any choice in one of the powerplays. I actually think that, used well, the system has the potential to aid the fielding, not batting, side more than the 15-over rule does. But many captains fail to do that.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information