• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kevin Shine's position

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Thought AAD said he was only keen on working with South Africa?
Yeah, I think so last year. But I think that was after he was turned down for the job in England. I don't know why we need another bowling coach if we've already got one really. Though Harmison has quite a few times been damning Shine with very faint praise in the media which has been a bit odd.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I'd rather have Donald than Shine, he has a far better pedigree, although I suppose being a successful coach doesn't always depend on a successful playing career. Has to help though.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'd rather have Donald than Shine, he has a far better pedigree, although I suppose being a successful coach doesn't always depend on a successful playing career. Has to help though.
You'd have thought it would help in the do-as-I-do stakes. Still, didn't stop Troy Cooley being fairly decent in the role, I suppose.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
So Kevin Shine would rather be the national academy bowling coach than the England national team bowling coach?

Anyone else think that perhaps he hasn't quite impressed the ECB and England management enough and this is a bit of a face saving move?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
whomever becomes bowling coach it won't affect Steve Harmison - he has 'nothing to prove' rememeber 8-)
It's Harmison who's gone on in the press a few times about how wonderful and amazing and fantastic Troy Cooley was and how Kevin Shine is 'good'. Can't have been an easy position for Shine last winter.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
So Kevin Shine would rather be the national academy bowling coach than the England national team bowling coach?

Anyone else think that perhaps he hasn't quite impressed the ECB and England management enough and this is a bit of a face saving move?
Well none of the bowlers took a fall from the team after the ashes, maybe someone has to?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I think so last year. But I think that was after he was turned down for the job in England. I don't know why we need another bowling coach if we've already got one really. Though Harmison has quite a few times been damning Shine with very faint praise in the media which has been a bit odd.
I'm pretty sure Donald ruled himself out of the running saying "my heart's with South Africa".

As regards Harmison - IMO it's nothing more than the media working things up to what they're not. Most people misjudged Harmison and will do anything - including putting down the bowling-coach - to try to get around the simple fact that Harmison ain't very good. Any such theory is baseless anyway - Harmison bowled rubbish with Cooley around plenty of times.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
As regards Harmison - IMO it's nothing more than the media working things up to what they're not. Most people misjudged Harmison and will do anything - including putting down the bowling-coach - to try to get around the simple fact that Harmison ain't very good. Any such theory is baseless anyway - Harmison bowled rubbish with Cooley around plenty of times.
True enough :) I was wondering more whether there's going to be a new 'extra' bowling coach coming in anyway... the Shine/Harmison thing is just something where they both annoyed me a lot last winter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yep, annoyed the crap out of me too. Just yet another to add to those list of nonsense excuses.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, his reaction to the dossier mystery was one of the few highlights of the series.