Thread: Kevin Shine's position

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar

Kevin Shine's position

Slightly interesting role-change type thing for Kevin Shine here:

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/media-rele...,12885,EN.html

It seems as though he's going to no longer be around the England international set-up and there's rumour on cricinfo that Allan Donald will take on that part of the job.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Thought AAD said he was only keen on working with South Africa?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Thought AAD said he was only keen on working with South Africa?
    Yeah, I think so last year. But I think that was after he was turned down for the job in England. I don't know why we need another bowling coach if we've already got one really. Though Harmison has quite a few times been damning Shine with very faint praise in the media which has been a bit odd.

State Vice-Captain Spitfires_Fan's Avatar
    I'd rather have Donald than Shine, he has a far better pedigree, although I suppose being a successful coach doesn't always depend on a successful playing career. Has to help though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfires_Fan View Post
    I'd rather have Donald than Shine, he has a far better pedigree, although I suppose being a successful coach doesn't always depend on a successful playing career. Has to help though.
    You'd have thought it would help in the do-as-I-do stakes. Still, didn't stop Troy Cooley being fairly decent in the role, I suppose.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    whomever becomes bowling coach it won't affect Steve Harmison - he has 'nothing to prove' rememeber

So Kevin Shine would rather be the national academy bowling coach than the England national team bowling coach?

Anyone else think that perhaps he hasn't quite impressed the ECB and England management enough and this is a bit of a face saving move?

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    whomever becomes bowling coach it won't affect Steve Harmison - he has 'nothing to prove' rememeber
    It's Harmison who's gone on in the press a few times about how wonderful and amazing and fantastic Troy Cooley was and how Kevin Shine is 'good'. Can't have been an easy position for Shine last winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloucefan View Post
    So Kevin Shine would rather be the national academy bowling coach than the England national team bowling coach?

Anyone else think that perhaps he hasn't quite impressed the ECB and England management enough and this is a bit of a face saving move?
    Well none of the bowlers took a fall from the team after the ashes, maybe someone has to?

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Yeah, I think so last year. But I think that was after he was turned down for the job in England. I don't know why we need another bowling coach if we've already got one really. Though Harmison has quite a few times been damning Shine with very faint praise in the media which has been a bit odd.
    I'm pretty sure Donald ruled himself out of the running saying "my heart's with South Africa".

As regards Harmison - IMO it's nothing more than the media working things up to what they're not. Most people misjudged Harmison and will do anything - including putting down the bowling-coach - to try to get around the simple fact that Harmison ain't very good. Any such theory is baseless anyway - Harmison bowled rubbish with Cooley around plenty of times.

As regards Harmison - IMO it's nothing more than the media working things up to what they're not. Most people misjudged Harmison and will do anything - including putting down the bowling-coach - to try to get around the simple fact that Harmison ain't very good. Any such theory is baseless anyway - Harmison bowled rubbish with Cooley around plenty of times.
    True enough I was wondering more whether there's going to be a new 'extra' bowling coach coming in anyway... the Shine/Harmison thing is just something where they both annoyed me a lot last winter.

Yep, annoyed the crap out of me too. Just yet another to add to those list of nonsense excuses.

Yep, annoyed the crap out of me too. Just yet another to add to those list of nonsense excuses.
    That's why I Hoggy so much... he either says things how they are or his excuses are hilarious and obviously tongue in cheek.

Yeah, his reaction to the dossier mystery was one of the few highlights of the series.

Yeah, his reaction to the dossier mystery was one of the few highlights of the series.
    It was the moment of the series for me by far!

Thread Information