• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan: I was shut off, wheels fell off

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Vaughan has said that he was shut out during the Ashes. Also, that incidents happened which lead to the wheels falling off during the world cup.

I was never involved at all in the Ashes and I think we could have used me more. I'm an Ashes-winning captain with a huge amount of knowledge on a lot of things and I wasn't used at all. It was made clear that I was to be kept away from the team, and I understood the reason, but there were times when I think I could have helped.

Then we went to the World Cup ... didn't start well, incidents happened, we really struggled and the coach went. The formula of the team started to get a little bit disgruntled. You talk about the wheels coming off ... they'd fallen off at one point. It's down to us to make sure we get those wheels back on and the only way we'll do that is by getting together as a team, working hard and enjoying the game.

Itstl.

Fiery

Banned
Yes Michael, you can moan all you like but you need to sort out your own game before being too critical. Your OD play is diabolical

pasag

RTDAS
I thought the way he undermined the team by lingering around Australia and popping up in the media all the time was fairly ridiculous, imo. It felt like Flintoff never really had control of the captaincy with the so called 'real' captain right around the corner at every interval. The ECB should have gone further and told him to gtfo of the country, IMO.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vaughan has said that he was shut out during the Ashes. Also, that incidents happened which lead to the wheels falling off during the world cup.

I was never involved at all in the Ashes and I think we could have used me more. I'm an Ashes-winning captain with a huge amount of knowledge on a lot of things and I wasn't used at all. It was made clear that I was to be kept away from the team, and I understood the reason, but there were times when I think I could have helped.

Itstl.
Every time they panned to the Pommie shed for the first test or two, he semeed to be there, and everyone was saying it was bad for them to have him there. Can't have it both ways.

Flem274*

123/5
Yes Michael, you can moan all you like but you need to sort out your own game before being too critical. Your OD play has been diabolical
I think when he says team formula he means the mood in the camp. He's sounding like Cairns and Parore during the Turner regime. Sounds like players had concerns about the team and were ignored.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He should have gone home and worked on his fitness. Hanging around the team did more harm than good.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

Then we went to the World Cup ... didn't start well, incidents happened, we really struggled and the coach went. The formula of the team started to get a little bit disgruntled. You talk about the wheels coming off ... they'd fallen off at one point. It's down to us to make sure we get those wheels back on and the only way we'll do that is by getting together as a team, working hard and enjoying the game.

Itstl.
Very un-necessary comments to make in my opinion. Poor form.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
He was out with the academy squad getting fit, that was the purpose of his being in Australia and not to advise the test side. I'm not really sure what he thinks he could have contributed though. However I can't really recall seeing him much over here, it's not his fault if the Australian press want to interview him.

When he is talking of incidents I'd wager he is talking of things we already know about i.e. Flintoff's boat trip.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Doesn't really sound like Vaughan to me, I've always thought he was a pretty decent and humble bloke? Maybe the constant injuries are getting him down, which is fair enough - it'd be enough to drive anyone mad. That said, I agree that him hanging around the England camp during the Ashes was bad and that he shouldn't have been around. Can't help but feel a little bit sorry for him though! But I guess I'm just soft...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My thoughts exactly. I can forgive him 100% for feeling this way, and it pissed me off no-end people banging-on about "he's undermining Flintoff's authority" (err, that would have required Flintoff to have some ITFP...), but... what on Earth does he expect to gain from saying that? :mellow: It can't do anyone any good, and it certainly can do quite a few people a lot of harm.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought the way he undermined the team by lingering around Australia and popping up in the media all the time was fairly ridiculous, imo. It felt like Flintoff never really had control of the captaincy with the so called 'real' captain right around the corner at every interval. The ECB should have gone further and told him to gtfo of the country, IMO.
imo... gtfo... IMO... Gelman falling to bits here without TBH\tbh...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well the team has to realise they hit rock bottom and move on from it. It's no good saying oh we weren't at our best in the World Cup, but we can do much worse than that...

Generally there was too much apathy, too little professionalism, they need a kick up the arse.

I really don't see what's wrong with stating the obvious in this case.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think he has a fair point. It looked as though England didn't really have a decisive plan about Vaughan, and in the end found middle ground which may well have been distracting.

They should have either sent him right away from the camp, or completely included him in everything possible on and off the field; which isn't the worst thing with a temporary captain. It's a completely different situation to succeeding the previous captain, and Vaughan being involved to a very high degree, not just in the Ashes but whenever possible during his injuries, would have been beneficial if done correcntly.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he has a fair point. It looked as though England didn't really have a decisive plan about Vaughan, and in the end found middle ground which may well have been distracting.

They should have either sent him right away from the camp, or completely included him in everything possible on and off the field; which isn't the worst thing with a temporary captain. It's a completely different situation to succeeding the previous captain, and Vaughan being involved to a very high degree, not just in the Ashes but whenever possible during his injuries, would have been beneficial if done correcntly.
I'm not really arguing whether he is or isn't right... it's just that should he really be saying this on the eve of a new series? I'd rather the headlines be about that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I wholeheartedly agree with that - but it can't do any good IMO for Vaughan to start complaining about it now. Why didn't he just put his foot down (if the knee was strong enough) back then?