Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaughan: I was shut off, wheels fell off

Vaughan: I was shut off, wheels fell off

Vaughan has said that he was shut out during the Ashes. Also, that incidents happened which lead to the wheels falling off during the world cup.

I was never involved at all in the Ashes and I think we could have used me more. I'm an Ashes-winning captain with a huge amount of knowledge on a lot of things and I wasn't used at all. It was made clear that I was to be kept away from the team, and I understood the reason, but there were times when I think I could have helped.

Then we went to the World Cup ... didn't start well, incidents happened, we really struggled and the coach went. The formula of the team started to get a little bit disgruntled. You talk about the wheels coming off ... they'd fallen off at one point. It's down to us to make sure we get those wheels back on and the only way we'll do that is by getting together as a team, working hard and enjoying the game.

Itstl.

Banned
    Yes Michael, you can moan all you like but you need to sort out your own game before being too critical. Your OD play is diabolical

I thought the way he undermined the team by lingering around Australia and popping up in the media all the time was fairly ridiculous, imo. It felt like Flintoff never really had control of the captaincy with the so called 'real' captain right around the corner at every interval. The ECB should have gone further and told him to gtfo of the country, IMO.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    Vaughan has said that he was shut out during the Ashes. Also, that incidents happened which lead to the wheels falling off during the world cup.

I was never involved at all in the Ashes and I think we could have used me more. I'm an Ashes-winning captain with a huge amount of knowledge on a lot of things and I wasn't used at all. It was made clear that I was to be kept away from the team, and I understood the reason, but there were times when I think I could have helped.

Itstl.
    Every time they panned to the Pommie shed for the first test or two, he semeed to be there, and everyone was saying it was bad for them to have him there. Can't have it both ways.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Yes Michael, you can moan all you like but you need to sort out your own game before being too critical. Your OD play has been diabolical
    I think when he says team formula he means the mood in the camp. He's sounding like Cairns and Parore during the Turner regime. Sounds like players had concerns about the team and were ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    He should have gone home and worked on his fitness. Hanging around the team did more harm than good.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post

Then we went to the World Cup ... didn't start well, incidents happened, we really struggled and the coach went. The formula of the team started to get a little bit disgruntled. You talk about the wheels coming off ... they'd fallen off at one point. It's down to us to make sure we get those wheels back on and the only way we'll do that is by getting together as a team, working hard and enjoying the game.

Itstl.
    Very un-necessary comments to make in my opinion. Poor form.

He was out with the academy squad getting fit, that was the purpose of his being in Australia and not to advise the test side. I'm not really sure what he thinks he could have contributed though. However I can't really recall seeing him much over here, it's not his fault if the Australian press want to interview him.

When he is talking of incidents I'd wager he is talking of things we already know about i.e. Flintoff's boat trip.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    I thought the way he undermined the team by lingering around Australia and popping up in the media all the time was fairly ridiculous, imo.
    Haha, I can soooo tell what that "imo" was meant to be.
    ~ Cribbage

Yeah, I'm struggling here tbf.

Banned
    Yeah, I'm struggling here tbf.
    I've come to realise just how useful the d word is too

State Vice-Captain Spitfires_Fan's Avatar
    Doesn't really sound like Vaughan to me, I've always thought he was a pretty decent and humble bloke? Maybe the constant injuries are getting him down, which is fair enough - it'd be enough to drive anyone mad. That said, I agree that him hanging around the England camp during the Ashes was bad and that he shouldn't have been around. Can't help but feel a little bit sorry for him though! But I guess I'm just soft...

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    My thoughts exactly. I can forgive him 100% for feeling this way, and it pissed me off no-end people banging-on about "he's undermining Flintoff's authority" (err, that would have required Flintoff to have some ITFP...), but... what on Earth does he expect to gain from saying that? It can't do anyone any good, and it certainly can do quite a few people a lot of harm.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I thought the way he undermined the team by lingering around Australia and popping up in the media all the time was fairly ridiculous, imo. It felt like Flintoff never really had control of the captaincy with the so called 'real' captain right around the corner at every interval. The ECB should have gone further and told him to gtfo of the country, IMO.
    imo... gtfo... IMO... Gelman falling to bits here without TBH\tbh...

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Well the team has to realise they hit rock bottom and move on from it. It's no good saying oh we weren't at our best in the World Cup, but we can do much worse than that...

Generally there was too much apathy, too little professionalism, they need a kick up the arse.

I really don't see what's wrong with stating the obvious in this case.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information