• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson wants to be test opener.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just realised that he was the guy who made the dire post to Buddhy Blackman.

I guess everyone gets a second chance at Cricketweb :)
No, not everyone. spofta made some of the most 8888ed-up posts in the history of the forum. How on Earth anyone could think that'd change is beyond me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Very short-lasting record it seems...

Spofta, your posts on this forum have been nothing but vulgarity really - and this particular post really crosses the line by a long way in terms of acceptable practice for insulting a player. Consider this an official warning.

Oh, and not that it matters at all, but for those homophobes out there (or aspiring singles, I suppose..), I can confirm that Shane Watson is not gay.
First time I've seen you dishing out the discipline Prince. Excellent work!! Haha :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You already know that you're on a tight leash. Comparing players to Hitler, and hoping that they die, isn't going to cast you in a better light.
Isn't it a bit strange that spofta reappeared after 3 years at the exact same time this Snoop Dogg account appeared? I mean, it's not the first time there's been Camel56-style collusion involved in the account.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Isn't it a bit strange that spofta reappeared after 3 years at the exact same time this Snoop Dogg account appeared? I mean, it's not the first time there's been Camel56-style collusion involved in the account.
No IP match between them, and they're posting at the same time, so it's very unlikely they are the same person.

Snoop Dogg

Cricket Spectator
Camel56 still giving you nightmares dawg?

yo why don't you just respect who I am and what I stand for.

If it's flipping hamburgers at McDonald's, be the best hamburger flipper in the world. Whatever it is you do you have to master your craft. That's why I'm here

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Camel56 still giving you nightmares dawg?
Hmm... interesting, definately a duplicate account of some sort.

EDIT: and what was it the Camel56 types did again? Impersonate - and genuinely pretend they were - well-known public figures.

Could we have the reincarnation? Are we about to be swamped with Tupac, 50 Cent and Coolio accounts? Poor Martin would be spewing.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No IP match between them, and they're posting at the same time, so it's very unlikely they are the same person.
Oh, obviously not, that wasn't what I was suggesting. There was no indication that Richard Rash and spofta were the same person either, nor any of the Camel56 types. But it certainly seems to be that sort of collusion (or some sort of IP-masking trick if that's possible) though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh, obviously not, that wasn't what I was suggesting. There was no indication that Richard Rash and spofta were the same person either, nor any of the Camel56 types. But it certainly seems to be that sort of collusion (or some sort of IP-masking trick if that's possible) though.
Richard Rash and spofta do have an IP match, actually - and Richard Rash was on CW today as well. Anyway, not really discussion fit for open-forum.

As for Watson, I'm sure he'd do a good job as test opener - his technique suits the position better than any other really - he may have temperament issues though, as well as issues with the short, seaming new ball. Really, if Hussey and Watson are both to be in the same test team, I think Hussey should be opening with Watson down at 4 or lower - but that's not to say I don't think he'd do a good job opening.

pup11

International Coach
It seems like Watson is really serious about being the next Australian test opener, he was probably trying to get into CA's good books when he came with a statement saying that he fully backs CA's decision regarding testing of recreational drugs among Australian players.

Last edited:

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good to see you back Pup :)

Personally, i'd prefer to see Jaques or Rogers open, and Watson made a straight swap with Symonds into the team. Jaques & Rogers have been in fine form over the last 2/3 years, and deserve their chance. Moving Hussey or Watson up to open is going to mean a lesser batsmen than Jaques/Rogers will be batting at 4 or 6, which obviously isn't ideal.

Also, having Watson open could significantly hamper his bowling, which is going to be vital given the retirements of McGrath and Warne. Having a 5th genuine option with the ball is going to play a major role if the Australian team wants to extend it's dominant run into the future.