• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Breakaway Indian League - Lara, Warne, McGrath?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Zee has made a lot of profit over the recent past and has made tremendous strides. Subhash Chandra going into some thing like this has always had the potential of some thing big.

Also, on the current news, Spin Magazine is pretty reputed.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, I see this as a hopefully a real challenge to the BCCI. Nothing would make me happier than another entity taking some money from the BCCI. Hopefully this league is successful and it will cause them to expand into one day and even 4-day cricket. That IMO would be ideal.

They do say that they plan to do one day cricket when they are more established. We shall see.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And while The BCCI could do with being challenged, players being taken away to play improper, worthless one- and four-day cricket would be preferable?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And while The BCCI could do with being challenged, players being taken away to play improper, worthless one- and four-day cricket would be preferable?
If it means the improper, worthless one and four day cricket that BCCI is running takes a hit...then yes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Any cricket run by a TV company will invariably be less proper and more worthless than that run by a Cricket Board, however poor.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Why would X v Y be worthless? If top stars are playing, I would much rather watch that than Bangladesh v Australia. The Packer series had the most competitive games for instance in the words of the players themselves who played in them. It is not necessary that top quality cricket has to be country v country. I do hope that cricket goes the NBA way. Packer missed the bus on it but India has an opportunity right now given the money cricket commands in India. Ideally, I would like 5-15 teams from around the world fighting it out for the best cricket team in the world.

pasag

RTDAS
Kill it before it breeds. Seriously can't think of a less graceful way for these players to end their careers.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Any cricket run by a TV company will invariably be less proper and more worthless than that run by a Cricket Board, however poor.
Wrong. Any cricket run by a professional outfit will invariably be better than a worthless cricket league run by corrupt beaurocrats with the primary interest of lining their pockets and not the paying public, let alone the sport itself.

Matt79

Global Moderator
It really is the most remarkable blind prejudice you have on this subject. We've done the debate before, so I will try and spare everyone the full chapter and verse you and I both remember, but I just want you to admit that that is what it is - a prejudice.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, I see this as a hopefully a real challenge to the BCCI. Nothing would make me happier than another entity taking some money from the BCCI. Hopefully this league is successful and it will cause them to expand into one day and even 4-day cricket. That IMO would be ideal.

They do say that they plan to do one day cricket when they are more established. We shall see.
So you do think one day cricket is cricket after all. :-O :D

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Kill it before it breeds. Seriously can't think of a less graceful way for these players to end their careers.
Playing for Hampshire maybe, clearly Warne only there a gain some extra money at the end of his career. I don't see anything different for him to play in a league like this, if they get some decent money.

One thing people forgot is for players outside International Cricket and county cricket, not many of them get paid much. I don't see anything wrong with a domestic competition with lots of International players, so they can get a decent living out of cricket. Its something that cricket probably lacks, a domestic competition where any player can play regardless of their nationality. Look at how many players try and play in England, even in the lower leagues, just a get some decent money. If a truelly International domestic competition came through, i could see a lot of players flooding over to play in it. Not saying this could be it, but you never know, there is need for something like this.

Unless ofcourse main the problem in people's eyes is the format Twenty20.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
World Series Cricket...
Which was not a competition with the game's best interests at heart, it was an attempt by a media moghul to win a battle.
It really is the most remarkable blind prejudice you have on this subject. We've done the debate before, so I will try and spare everyone the full chapter and verse you and I both remember, but I just want you to admit that that is what it is - a prejudice.
It's not. It's a perception of fact. A TV company cannot run a cricket competition of any note, because the sole concern will be attracting viewers, not the good of the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wrong. Any cricket run by a professional outfit will invariably be better than a worthless cricket league run by corrupt beaurocrats with the primary interest of lining their pockets and not the paying public, let alone the sport itself.
The BCCI is as much a professional outfit as Zee TV. I cannot believe you think Zee have any interest in staging a genuine cricket competition, all they care about is subscribers.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
So i guess WSC had nothing to do with improving players wages. If it was only to try and win a battle do you reckon so many players would have joined.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Course it wasn't. You think Packer gave a **** about improving players' wages? That was just an opportunity he saw to enable him to get what he wanted.

If The ACB had accepted his initial offer there'd have been no WSC and Packer would not have gone about moaning that players weren't paid enough.