5 9.43%
  • poor

0 0%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lasith Malinga

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2

Lasith Malinga

While posting at SS's thread on how upset he is about the lack of great pace bowlers in the longer game I was suprised to find that almost nobody rated Malinga.

In my opinion he is a brilliant player, I watched both series that he played against New Zealand.

The first time I watched him I was shocked at the way he bowled, as apparently were the Black Caps, he had early success coming away with 9 wickets in the first match for 210 runs. In the second test (where Sri Lanka were soundly beaten with NZ winning by an innings and 38 runs) he came in with the slightly less impressive figures of 2 for 134.

The action was the only real thing he had going for him, but then I saw Malinga come back, and my oh my, he was now a fast bowler with a few more tricks up his sleeve.

He left New Zealand this time with figures of 9 for 208. Less wickets but even more importantly, less runs.

Lasith Malinga always looks like he is about to take a wicket, very few batsman have ever looked comfortable against him from what I've seen, and he is young. He should be around for many more years to come at the forefront of Sri Lanka's attack.

Soon they will lose Murali but in his place comes a genuine wicket taker. I think CW under rates his ability and his potential but I would like to know, how do you think his career will pan out?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    I rate him pretty highly. Should mean that SL won't miss Vaas that much once he's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    I rate him highly to, was amazed at his action when i first saw him, but have been in aww of his ability every since. He certainly has teh talent and potential to be a great, he's also young so he can develop his skills further.
    Where's my money?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    While posting at SS's thread on how upset he is about the lack of great pace bowlers in the longer game I was suprised to find that almost nobody rated Malinga.

In my opinion he is a brilliant player, I watched both series that he played against New Zealand.

The first time I watched him I was shocked at the way he bowled, as apparently were the Black Caps, he had early success coming away with 9 wickets in the first match for 210 runs. In the second test (where Sri Lanka were soundly beaten with NZ winning by an innings and 38 runs) he came in with the slightly less impressive figures of 2 for 134.

The action was the only real thing he had going for him, but then I saw Malinga come back, and my oh my, he was now a fast bowler with a few more tricks up his sleeve.

He left New Zealand this time with figures of 9 for 208. Less wickets but even more importantly, less runs.

Lasith Malinga always looks like he is about to take a wicket, very few batsman have ever looked comfortable against him from what I've seen, and he is young. He should be around for many more years to come at the forefront of Sri Lanka's attack.

Soon they will lose Murali but in his place comes a genuine wicket taker. I think CW under rates his ability and his potential but I would like to know, how do you think his career will pan out?
    With any luck that shoulders gonna rip out of it's socket and rocket off towards the boundary fence.

Thats my kiwi supporters instinct coming through though.

Well I think he's damn good. I wanna kill him every time I see him against us and that only happens to me when good players are playing against NZ. So he's pretty good in my book.
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

The only worry is the injury concerns with his style. Can't see either him or Tait going for sustained periods uninjured tbh. Defintley a gun though, don't think people on CW underrate him either.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

International Coach
    I rate hi very highly, pretty amazed at how straight he bowls given his action.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    The only worry is the injury concerns with his style. Can't see either him or Tait going for sustained periods uninjured tbh. Defintley a gun though, don't think people on CW underrate him either.
    I always tried to work him in on the conversation for the next generation of top pace bowlers and very few seemed to be saying that he was up there.

Think its too early to call him anything but a bowler who's made a very good start and has the potential to go on with it. Whether he can sustain his good start and whether he will become less effective as player's get more accustomed to his style remains to be seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

He will be carrying the Sri Lankan attack when the other stars retire. Malinga/Fernando/Maharoof doesn't look very solid. It will be interesting to see how he handles it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Think its too early to call him anything but a bowler who's made a very good start and has the potential to go on with it. Whether he can sustain his good start and whether he will become less effective as player's get more accustomed to his style remains to be seen.
    I think he has more going for him than just his style, he upped his pace significantly as well, which a lot batsman have trouble with anyway with a wicked reverse swing at times too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    He will be carrying the Sri Lankan attack when the other stars retire. Malinga/Fernando/Maharoof doesn't look very solid. It will be interesting to see how he handles it.
    Neither does Bond/Franklin/Martin, but it can win matches, Maharoof gets a lot of stick, he still has a bit in him I think. Fernando on the other hand is probably on the way out.

I think he has more going for him than just his style, he upped his pace significantly as well, which a lot batsman have trouble with anyway with a wicked reverse swing at times too.
    Most lethal yorker in the game ATM IMO.

Here's how I rank the current nasty fasties.

Bond and Malinga

Akhtar, Asif, Lee, Ntini. Jones(he's a quickee I think)

Tait, Steyn, etc etc

Neither does Bond/Franklin/Martin, but it can win matches, Maharoof gets a lot of stick, he still has a bit in him I think. Fernando on the other hand is probably on the way out.
    It interests me how Fernando seems to have the whole fancy hair thing going as well but he can't afford to realy, he's horrible. Nowhere near as good a bowler as Malinga. He shouldn't be thinking he's the man when he has no right to.

Malinga has improved heaps. The injury worry is there as the pressure put because of his bowling action is immense but then Jeff Thompson carried on for quite a while despite a slinging action.

Malinga has a lethal deliveries in his armour which is why he is so bloody good and promising as a player. However, I cannot say for sure that he is a great in the making right now. At the moment, I would put him in the good player with a promising future category and will wait and see how he shapes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Most lethal yorker in the game ATM IMO.

Here's how I rank the current nasty fasties.

Bond and Malinga
    Akhtar, Asif, Lee, Ntini. Jones(he's a quickee I think)
    Tait, Steyn, etc etc

Tait showed a lot of class at the world cup, takes wickets but erratic, definitely up there I think.

Heres test averages and economies for the players you listed:
    Bond: 22.10 - 3.40
    Malinga: 31.57 - 3.83

Akhtar: 25.30 - 3.39
    Asif: 20.12 - 3.09
    Lee: 31.60 - 3.56
    Ntini: 27.48 - 3.20
    Jones: 28.23 - 3.54

Tait: 42.00 - 4.37
    Steyn: 31.54 - 3.89

It will be interesting to see how the averages of the younger players develop over the next few years. Tait at 42 will surely have to change!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information